Great Players Who Spent Their Careers on Horrible Teams

TheOldRoman

NFL records are for wiping your ass with; Tony Romo is not a better quarterback than Troy Aikman, let alone a great player in his own right.

I never said Romo was better than Aikman. I said he's usurped several of his records. There's a difference.

Kinda like the ONE moron in the room who thinks Emmitt Smith was better than Barry Sanders AND Walter Payton just because of some number on a piece of paper.

Sigs are for sissies.

• Replies 93
  • Created
  • Last Reply

If Witten and Ware retire before the Cowboys win a Super Bowl or before they even make it to the Conference Championship Game they'll qualify.

The only players I thought of have already been mentioned. Barry Sanders was the first person I thought of.

I may even throw Warren Moon out there. I know he'd played for a lot of teams, but unless I'm mistaken, I don't think he ever made the Super Bowl.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

So now this has turned into "Really Good Players Who Never Made A Super Bowl".

/inevitable thread degeneration

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

So now this has turned into "Really Good Players Who Never Made A Super Bowl".

/inevitable thread degeneration

But I was thinking of Moon more for his Houston days then anything else. I'm not sure he qualifies, when I really think on it. His Houston teams were close to making it to the Super Bowl.

Cowboys - Lakers - LAFC - USMNT - LA Rams - LA Kings - NUFC 

You may wanna go and review Moon's CFL days, then.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

How about Joe Torre? I think he had a pretty good career, 9 all-star appearances, an MVP award, batting title, gold glove, the list goes on...

Never made the postseason as a player...

Wow, never knew Torre was that good of a player!

Already mentioned, but Rick Nash is a perfect example.

If Witten and Ware retire before the Cowboys win a Super Bowl or before they even make it to the Conference Championship Game they'll qualify.

The Cowboys still have made the playoffs a few times in the past 6 years or so.... that's not a horrible team.

How about Joe Torre? I think he had a pretty good career, 9 all-star appearances, an MVP award, batting title, gold glove, the list goes on...

Never made the postseason as a player...

Wow, never knew Torre was that good of a player!

Torre is one of the best players not in the Hall of Fame

Only problem with Torre being listed here is that he only played for four teams that finished below .500 and only one of those teams (the '77 Mets) won fewer then 75 games. So while he never made a postseason as a player, it wasn't like he was on teams that were 20 games out of it come August.

My personal hard luck guy for baseball is Ralph Kiner. Only played for two teams that had records over .500 and only one of those teams actually had a realistic shot at winning a World Series. ('55 Indians) Otherwise he was on six teams that lost at least 90 games (Really seven because the '53 Pirates lost over 100 but he was traded midseason to the Cubs who lost 89 games) and that's coming over a short ten year Hall of Fame career.

Somehow managed to lead the league in homers seven straight years despite teams having little to no reason to pitch to him. I'd love to see what his intentional walk numbers were. Unfortunately they didn't start keeping track of them until '55.

What about Tony Romo? He's barely made the playoffs, yet recently eclipsed several of Aikman's franchise records for QBs.

How have we made it this far and not mentioned Tony Gonzalez? IIRC, he's never made it passed the first round.

Tony Romo is a mediocre player who has played on several mediocre teams. That'd be one long thread.

1 hour ago, ShutUpLutz! said:

and the drunken doodoobags jumping off the tops of SUV's/vans/RV's onto tables because, oh yeah, they are drunken drug abusing doodoobags

Steve Largent. Held many records when he retired but played his whole carrer for largely unsuccessful Seahawks teams.

I could buy into Steve Largent.

Just seven playoff games for him over a 14 year career. Only one of those teams actually made a deep playoff run, and only has one division title to his credit.

For guy who I would say was the best wide receiver in the game from when he broke into the league until Jerry Rice came along, he should have had far more in terms of team accomplishments. He was having 1,000 yard receiving seasons year in and year out with Jim Zorn and Dave Krieg throwing him the ball. Can only imagine what he would have done with a Joe Montana, a Dan Fouts, a Dan Marino, or even a Joe Theismann under center.

If you expand this discussion to college, you can add some names to the list.

Terrell Owens, for example, is one of the best receivers in modern history. And you can't argue his NFL career.

But in college, his Tennessee-Chattanooga Mocs were TERRIBLE while he attended school. They never made the FCS playoffs and had one season above .500

UyDgMWP.jpg

5th in NAT. TITLES  |  2nd in CONF. TITLES  |  5th in HEISMAN |  7th in DRAFTS |  8th in ALL-AMER  |  7th in WINS  |  4th in BOWLS |  1st in SELLOUTS  |  1st GAMEDAY SIGN

Archived