A little off topic

fsu_fan

Have you as a designer ever lost your drive to design? I used to love doing design work, but somewhere along the way I've just seem to lose interest and all creativity. I can get a design in my head but just can't seem to bring it together. Is there anything you could suggest?

Thanks.

Googling things like "____ design" or "____ design inspiration", etc. is perfect for stuff like this. Also, Pinterest, Dribbble, and a sketchpad. If I'm not sure where to start or I'm stuck on something, I start looking around until my mind gets unstuck and I get an idea how to attack the challenge I'm stuck on. But everyone has a different creative process.

This is all assuming it's merely designer's block, but if you're losing the passion, not sure I can help you there ;) Graphic design is an expressive medium for me, so it's an outlet more than a hobby — which I think would be easier lose interest in.

Googling things like "____ design" or "____ design inspiration", etc. is perfect for stuff like this. Also, Pinterest, Dribbble, and a sketchpad. If I'm not sure where to start or I'm stuck on something, I start looking around until my mind gets unstuck and I get an idea how to attack the challenge I'm stuck on. But everyone has a different creative process.

This is all assuming it's merely designer's block, but if you're losing the passion, not sure I can help you there ;) Graphic design is an expressive medium for me, so it's an outlet more than a hobby — which I think would be easier lose interest in.

Thank you both for your insight. I'll try that and see how it goes.

I absolutely have this going for me right now. I am on version 18 of a logo for a client (each of which is a continuous downgrade from the last) and I am so ready to throw in the towel that it's making my blood boil. Before this one I was asked to roll out several print flyers, newspaper flyers, Facebook graphics per week which really took a creative toll on me after awhile. I often prowled dribbble and Behance to help me get past designers block which helped a lot. I can definitely say that designing is more of a hobby for me. When there is no limit on me and I'm free to design whatever I want while not trying to please anyone but myself, I absolutely love doing it! When I know I'm limited to what I can do with style and when I know there are edits after edits coming to just to fit their style, I lose all interest and actually begin to loathe it. I find myself doing whatever I can to get by. I find that taking a few weeks off completely away from designing can really spark back some creativity that had lost.

When I get this block and right now I do. I either do something fun and simple design wise (such as painting new cars or trucks for Nascar Racing 2003) or I walk away and do nothing. It's why I picked up a guitar, it's creative in a different way. I also write. Now if it's at work, then I don't worry too much about since the client will screw up whatever good design I have anyway. I just finished up an personal illustration that took about a month, and I have no clue what to do next.

Archived