NWSL Team Logos and Kits

Brian in Boston

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The franchise representing the Washington, DC area in the new U.S. Soccer-led women's professional soccer league has unveiled its name and logo. The team will be known as the Washington Spirit.

Washington-Spirit-logo.gif

pet peeve of mine:

if you're called the washington spirit, don't put DC Spirit in your logo. DC doesn't read as "washington." that's annoying.

Kansas City also has a women's team for the new league. They'll be called FC Kansas City, nicknamed The Blues. No identity that I could find as of yet.

Their Facebook page is sporting this...

155949_459911640713388_1507394434_a.jpg

I have no idea how "official" that is. I do know how "official" I hope it is: not at all.

You slick little devil...I see what you did there.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

Seattle Reign?

Not the one from Blitz then?

team_reign.jpg

Or indeed the defunct basketball team: http://en.wikipedia....i/Seattle_Reign

I like that name best out of those three though.

The Portland Thorns badge is rather good too, the rose is a clever idea for a centrepiece.

+1 to ColeJ's comment, if you want the badge to say DC Spirit, call yourselves that.

bifcolympique_zps28a2961e.png

The franchise representing the Washington, DC area in the new U.S. Soccer-led women's professional soccer league has unveiled its name and logo. The team will be known as the Washington Spirit.

Washington-Spirit-logo.gif

This sucks but then again so does the sport.

spacer.png

Generic. I wish the new league tied together with the MLS like how the WNBA used to be.

Unlike the NBA, MLS doesn't have the money to blow propping up a money sink like a women's league. They're still too busy getting their own house in order.

Generic. I wish the new league tied together with the MLS like how the WNBA used to be.

Unlike the NBA, MLS doesn't have the money to blow propping up a money sink like a women's league. They're still too busy getting their own house in order.

They have support from the US, Canadian and Mexican soccer federations so that should help out a lot more than just launching it on the MLS dime.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

They have support from the US, Canadian and Mexican soccer federations so that should help out a lot more than just launching it on the MLS dime.

The Mexican Federation is involved? I thought it was only USSF and the Canadian Federation funding this misadventure?

I have no idea how "official" that is. I do know how "official" I hope it is: not at all.

Completely unintentional, I assure you.

While there's been talk of FC Kansas City playing some matches at Sporting Kansas City's Livestrong Park, the women's team is actually owned by Chris Likens, Greg Likens, Brad Likens and Brian Budzinski - the owners of the Major Indoor Soccer League's Missouri Comets.

Completely unintentional, I assure you.

While there's been talk of FC Kansas City playing some matches at Sporting Kansas City's Livestrong Park, the women's team is actually owned by Chris Likens, Greg Likens, Brad Likens and Brian Budzinski - the owners of the Major Indoor Soccer League's Missouri Comets.

I'm also tracking most of the teams will play in smaller venues to keep costs down. I think Portland would be the only team using a MLS stadium.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

The team names, according to the MLS site.

Those eight teams that comprise the league are a nice combination of old-school WUSA and WPS names and a few new faces: Boston Breakers, Chicago Red Stars, FC Kansas City, Portland Thorns FC, Sky Blue FC, Washington Spirit, Western New York Flash and Seattle, which has yet to announce its team name.

Having been to a number of Freedom and DCU Women matches, I'm really, really not feeling the Washington Spirit identity.

Here's why.

1. The logo does not say "Washington" in it; instead you have the letters DC in it.

2. What are the supporters going to do? Dress in saffron and play cymbals and a Japanese taiko drum? And "Spirit" doesn't rhyme with anything.

3. Having sat in the stands for two years of Penn-Jersey Spirit games in the old APSL, it gets really annoying when kids are reduced to shouting "Spi-rit! Spi-rit! Spi-rit!" over and over again like the 20-minute agony at Walt Disney World when all you're hearing is "It's A Small World After All" on infinite loop.

4. And the team is going to be playing summer afternoon games in 95-degree heat in Boyds, Md., a very hard place to get to.

5. I really hope we get Abby Wambach back.

Archived