NWSL Team Logos and Kits

Brian in Boston

• Replies 82
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Always love to hear feedback, positive or negative. I'm always trying to improve!

Congrats Pete on the great work really enjoyed your series in the concept section & was glad to see at least one of the teams took you up on your offer.

Big Time Upgrade from the previous one.

Better than their first effort, but waaaay too much going on. Drop the Nationals-knockoff "DC", get rid of the puzzling ball talons, and you've got something serviceable. As it stands, this is three identity concepts crammed together and set on "frappe".

Are those supposed to be the talons of an eagle clutching that soccer ball?

Raymie, they are, in fact, talons clutching the ball. I believe their inclusion into the logo is a nod to D.C. United, but I'm not sure in what capacity.

I fully agree with Sodboy's assessment of the logo. It has one too many elements going on!

Always love to hear feedback, positive or negative. I'm always trying to improve!

What role, if any, does this logo...

c5a624d1242b0d656438fc2e6aab9fd6.png

... play in the Spirit's branding package. Was it simply one of a number of potential primary logos that you submitted to the Spirit? Is it a secondary mark? Has it been abandoned altogether?

• 1 month later...

Apologies if this has been brought up anywhere else, but I didn't see anything in the 2013 soccer kits thread.

Just wondering if anyone has the scoop on any kits for the inaugural season of NWSL?

To get things started, these photos were tweeted by Washington Spirit of their new jerseys being printed.

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgraHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5vdy5seS9waG90b3Mvbm9ybWFsLzFGU2ZCLmpwZxQEFgASAA&s=4tBz2XpPGRWG5ldrSGXoypl_mjZNdVcCgkL94pU5uBg

proxy.jpg?t=FQQVBBgraHR0cDovL3N0YXRpYy5vdy5seS9waG90b3Mvbm9ybWFsLzFGU0xULmpwZxQEFgASAA&s=_HBeUEOS5lhKEExbyPAp8B9J6mc1vVNnspRmkBIFyHE

Edit: Thanks to whoever moved this.

I was hoping they'd do more than use stock templates for the kits.

Can you blame them though? It's the first year of a startup women's league, which have not found much success in the past. It will take a few years of stability before clubs are willing to spend for bespoke designs I'm sure.

As far as templates go, it's a nice clean look.

I was hoping they'd do more than use stock templates for the kits.

Can you blame them though? It's the first year of a startup women's league, which have not found much success in the past. It will take a few years of stability before clubs are willing to spend for bespoke designs I'm sure.

As far as templates go, it's a nice clean look.

I'm with you, I expect them to play it safe. But I hoped Nike would take risks with one or two teams. As long as it's four or five templates instead of the two that Puma kept using.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

• 4 weeks later...

Can anyone explain why Sky Blue FC don't have a sky blue jersey? I'm definitely disappointed no one went with a hoops design or used the hidden sash USA away design. I think just adding those two elements would've made a few teams stand out more. I know they all used solid colors in the previous leagues, but Seattle or Portland could've done that. Even if they just did what San Antonio Scorpions did and use Nike's TeamBuilder site. They could have spun that as being designed specific to their team like the Scorpions did. And apparently the league number font is a variant of the USA national team font. At least what I saw from Seattle's shirts during their Japan trip.

km3S7lo.jpg

Zqy6osx.png

not exactly a question about the uniforms or logos but.........does anyone know if this league is going to be televised in Canada?

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

not exactly a question about the uniforms or logos but.........does anyone know if this league is going to be televised in Canada?

I'm not certain it's being televised at all, at least not in the traditional sense. In the case of Portland, none of the games are on a broadcast channel. They're all being webstreamed.

I'm not certain it's being televised at all, at least not in the traditional sense. In the case of Portland, none of the games are on a broadcast channel. They're all being webstreamed.

Games are streamed, because they are "starting small", they do not have the money to buy airtime which would run about $80-100K/game on a network like CBS Sports. They have to control costs, and one way to do that is not to buy TV time and try to sell advertising to make money.

Keep in mind, the league and the USWNT players only got the US Soccer CBA done three weeks ago. Of the 23 USWNT players assigned to the NWSL, only 15 are playing.

The league salaries are not much, ranging from $6K-30K for the season.

The owner of the Washington franchise wrote a letter to the public last Monday to disclose his business model and the attendance needed to break even. His attendance number figure was the need to average 3000 paying fans/game.

Yeah I found it odd too that they don't use sky blue. Even their crest doesn't have it.

Here are a couple photos from yesterday's opener between Portland and KC, which shows off the shirt sponsors.

554909_241801029298744_228603276_n.jpg

58813_241800905965423_2126449490_n.jpg

As soon as I saw "Title Boxing" as a sponsor, I knew they had to be associated with Kansas City since that is close to their HQ. Good for them, I guess. Boston was able to get "Ocean Spray" as their kit sponsor. KC did have nearly 7,000 there too.

Excellent. Thanks for the answers guys.

I have to admit I am very interested in this league but haven't done my homework. Good on them for keeping costs down though, they need to do so in order to be financially viable (forget profit).

I heard that Toronto and Vancouver want in, that would be so great....as long as Toronto signs Christine Sinclair from Portland :)

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

I heard that Toronto and Vancouver want in, that would be so great....as long as Toronto signs Christine Sinclair from Portland :)

Somebody asked either Paul Bierne or Kevin Payne at Toronto FC and their answer was pretty much 'let us get our men's team in order first'. It's a bit of a wait and see approach, but I can't see MLSE letting this opportunity slip away. I'm surprised Vancouver isn't participating in the inaugural season though, they've always had a women's club.

Archived