What 5 team rebrands would you like for Christmas?

VancouverFan69

One of the best things for a sports fan to receive for Christmas besides his/her favourite team's jersey or a pair of tickets for that big game against a key rival is hearing the announcement of a team's impending rebrand. While many teams in the sports world can definitely use a rebrand, I will choose my top 5 team rebrands that I would like for Christmas:

1. Vancouver Canucks - The royal blue and kelly green colours are elegant and the uniform templete is fine. However, it is time for Johnny Canuck to replace the orca and the 'VANCOUVER' wordmark. The Canucks are Cup-cursed until this happens. Also, a return to the traditional block-style numbering and lettering with additional green accents would look far more appropriate for Canada's third oldest NHL franchise.

2. Minnesota Wild - The Winnipeg Jets returned, why not the North Stars? Dallas can keep the "Stars" name, but "North Stars" sounds a lot more respectable than "Wild". Just imagine how great it would be to see those kelly green and gold N-Star uniforms back on the ice. Just don't re-add the black please.

3. New England Patriots - It kind of sucks when the Patriots have had far more success with the Flying Elvis logo, a plain stripeless silver helmet, and a generic blue jersey. Those retro red and white uniforms with the Pat Patriot logo should have never been changed in the first place and need to be brought back full-time.

4. Seattle Seahawks - Another team that had it right the first time. Doesn't this team EVER learn?? The current logo is fine but the royal blue and kelly green of the Steve Largent era needs to be brought back. An added blue and green stripe on the helmets would be a nice touch.

5. Toronto FC - I've never been a fan of North American soccer teams adopting Euro-brand identities. So, I will pick on Toronto because that's what we Vancouverites do, lol. Seriously, though, Toronto should have an offical name. Unoffically, "Reds" is the name, but that brand belongs to Liverpool of the Premier League. Bring back the Blizzard. They had a decent history in the old NASL with players like Jomo Sono, Bruce Wilson, and Sam Lenarduzzi. They were also back-to-back Soccer Bowl runners up, unlike TFC, who have yet to make the MLS playoffs. Like TFC though, the Blizzard also wore red and the "Reds" nickname could still be used. Just like the Maple Leafs are called the "Buds" and the Montreal Canadiens the "Habs".

What 5 team rebrands would you like for Christmas?

MERRY CHRISTMAS EVERYONE AND A HAPPY AND HEALTHY NEW YEAR. BEST OF LUCK TO YOUR FAVOURITE TEAM IN 2013.

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

1) Diamondbacks return to original uniforms

Justin_Upton_55ucek4p_3j3rxo9a.jpg

2) Indiana Pacers-Although they wont because of the malice...return to the early 2000's uni's

topics_reggiemiller_190.jpg

3)Jaguars go back to circa 2006 uniforms

maurice-jones-drew.jpg

4)not really a rebrand but please adidas fix the stripes on ucla's jersey

38139_web.sp.10.27.strongside.column.picB_big.jpg

5)Orlando Magic-another got it right the first time

shaq-orlando-years.jpg

Clippers.gif
UCLA.gif

1. Utah Jazz lose their nickname so that New Orleans can take it back and its Purple/Green/Yellow jerseys

2. Memphis Grizzlies lose their nickname and give it to Utah and take their colors too.

3. Charlotte takes back the Hornets nickname and color scheme.

4. St Louis Rams go back to the same colors they had in LA.

5. Represenatives from the Kansas City Royals and Tampa Bay Rays get in a room and settle who can use the color scheme of Blue/Light Blue/White (honestly the Rays alternate looks like the uniform manufacteurer just slapped Rays text instead of Royals text on the uni). Personally I think Rays should change to Black/Green/White.

I agree about the Canucks and that crappy orca logo and the stupid Vancouver script that should never, EVER have found it's way onto a professional hockey jersey.

Disagree about the Wild. I hate their team name with a passion, just like I hate every other singular team name in all of sports, but their logo is second to none. They have completely mismanaged their identity from very early on, first by going retro, then going with the roundel, and then going with the script logo and removing the red from their alternate jersey.** They do need a rebrand, but it involves getting a new name while maintaining the existing colour set and primary logo. Nothing against the old North Stars identity at all, but I don't like the brand dilution it would cause with the Dallas Stars.

I don't like Pat Patriot or Flying Elvis, but if I were to pick an identity, it'd be Elvis.

For the Seahawks, I don't like their recent rebrand, but I actually didn't mind their last set. The neon was pretty cool, and I liked the different blues. It could have been executed better, but I still prefer it to the look you'd want to bring back, which feels very out-of-date to me.

I'm also not a fan of the Euro names, but TFC has built up a pretty solid fanbase with their current duds and nickname. I also don't think that 'Reds' is quite unique enough that only one soccer team in the entire world can have it as their own.

** That jersey actually looks nice in and of itself, but it doesn't suit their identity at all.

As for my list:

1. Ottawa Senators- They actually have a perfectly good logo that they refuse to use for God-knows-what reason. Their cookie-cutter Edge home and road jerseys are a travesty, especially considering every other jersey they've had previously was awesome. If they want to work off their current heritage uniform to build a set, by all means. If they want to return to something like the old red swoosh jersey, that's okay with me, too. The old black-and-gold alt? Sure! Heck, even the original black jerseys with red striping and numbers would look a million times better than what they have worn since RBK took over.

2. Dallas Stars- I really hate that collegiate script look on professional jerseys. It makes them look so amateurish. Ditch the script, come up with a real logo (a new one), and go back to the colours they had right after the move from Minnesota, with the kelly green, black and white.

3. Vancouver Canucks- More or less what you said; their uniforms now suck. I could care less if they ditch the blue and green, though. It does nothing for me.

4. Colorado Rockies- Dark purple and sky blue or maroon and sky blue. Get on it, people!

5. Cleveland Cavaliers- I don't mind their logo package, but I can't stand the new colours they went with post-LeBron. They've got to go back to what they had, or try something new. What they have now looks faux-retro and I can't stand it.

CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.pngHamilton Eagles- 2012 and 2013 Continental Hockey League Champions! CHL-2011ECchamps-HAM.png

2011, 2012, 2013, 2014 & 2015 CHL East Division Champions!

Niagara Dragoons- 2012 United League and CCSLC World Series Champions!
2012, 2013, 2014 and 2015 UL Robinson Division Champions!

1: Anaheim Ducks. Keep the colours, keep the D logo, keep the duck mask, maybe redesign the third jersey, and would love a throwback night with the original Mighty Ducks jersey or something like that. The lackluster wordmark has got to go, it's served its purpose of spelling out the team's modified name for long enough, and its exit is long overdue. If the webfoot-D and duck mask shoulder patch were applied to the existing home and road uniforms and the recoloured duck mask logo minus oval was front and centre on the third jersey, I'd be a happy fan for a long time to come.

2: Chelmsford Chieftains. My local hockey team. Because the logo is too clipart-ish for my liking.

3: Dallas Stars. Lose the bland uniform template and college script. Bring back the ST^RS primary logo because it's a modern classic. Bring back green as the primary colour. Don't bring back the all-star template.

4: Buffalo Sabres. The classic logo needs modernising, something closer to that blue and gold project someone did a while back. Adding silver outlines to everything does not equal modern redesign. Lose the sliver piping and pit stains on the jerseys.

5: San Jose Sharks. Lose the orange, bring back silver. The Sharks look their best in teal, black and silver.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

What's the definition of a "rebrand"? New logos, new colors, complete change?

On that criteria: Oklahoma City Thunder, Anaheim Ducks, Charlotte Bobcats, Colorado Rockies, Philadelphia Eagles

If I have to pick five.....

PvO6ZWJ.png

1. Cincinnati Bengals- Could see them using some of the existing identity, but new uniforms would be heaven for me. Keep the helmet, and maximize the Orange.

2. Sacramento Kings- Keep the colors, get a new logo package. (tell me that primary doesn't look dated)

3. Washington Redskins- Start from scratch. New name, colors, look.

4. Washington Wizards- Start over. The jerseys have nice elements but the whole thing isn't working. Get a cohesive identity.

5. San Diego Padres- Simple, Brown and Orange.

1. Anaheim Ducks--> Go to a dark green/orange combo, lose the wordmark

2. Minnesota Wild--> switch back to the North Stars (ya, ya. I know it's ridiculous, but hey, it's Christmas)

3. San Diego Padres--> brown and orange.

4. Charlotte Bobcats --> back to the Hornets. Looks like it may happen and not a moment too soon.

5. Atlanta Hawks---> back to red and yellow. It was original.

sig.png

1. Cincinnati Bengals- Could see them using some of the existing identity, but new uniforms would be heaven for me. Keep the helmet, and maximize the Orange.

2. Sacramento Kings- Keep the colors, get a new logo package. (tell me that primary doesn't look dated)

3. Washington Redskins- Start from scratch. New name, colors, look.

4. Washington Wizards- Start over. The jerseys have nice elements but the whole thing isn't working. Get a cohesive identity.

5. San Diego Padres- Simple, Brown and Orange.

Good list and I'll start with your number 5....

1. Padres: Late 80s-inspired look. Brown and orange (no yellow) looked so good on a gray background. Re-establish the Padres as the "brown" team so they can have a consistent identity from here on out and maybe even be noticed.

2. Eagles: Need to go back to kelly green and gray. The helmet from the 80s. No black at all. Obviously cannot use that 80s jersey with about 100 stripes, but otherwise...go with it.

3. Wild: Not quite a "rebrand", but a more consistent identity from uniform-to-uniform. Stop marginalizing that great logo in a circle. Leave the road, dump the circle on the road and have the alt at the very least feature the logo on the shoulders.

4. Seahawks: Use the old look, but dump the white and gray/blue (I don't know what color that is) pants in favor of dark blue pants. I feel they nailed that last look otherwise.

I suppose I need to not go "backwards" with one, eh?

5. Dallas Mavericks: I have hated that look from day 1. Get some sort of vivid color in there. The mechanical horse logo has run it's course. Going backwards would look dated (particularly the logo), so modernize the green/blue or just do something new.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

1. Miami Dolphins - Not a rebrand, but simply start wearing the Aqua and Orange Jerseys again. I am sick of the stormtrooper look week end and week out.

2. Houston Texans - Start wearing the red socks again.

3. San Diego Chargers - Powder Blue anyone? I would love to see Powder Blue and yellow pants.

4. Dallas Cowboys - Pick one shade of blue and stick with it.

5. Any team that does not have grey as one of their primary colors needs to stop using it on their uniform.

**If I could throw out 1 more it would be that Russell Athletic was banned from making football uniforms.

spacer.png

Carolina Panthers - jank logo. dated uniforms. girly colors. time to grow up and become an NFL identity

Minnesota Vikings - logo was bad when it was created. i dont mind the uniforms so much they're ok, but i dont think very many others do. returning to original design would be a popular rebrand

Washington Nationals - they're team Walgreens now and their identity is completely irrelevant. 1 of way too many red/white/blue teams

Georgia Tech football - . . . what the hell are you guys doing?

UCF football - ya'll need a lot of help. hate those uniforms

GRAPHIC ARTIST

BEHANCE  /  MEDIUM  /  DRIBBBLE

1. San Diego Chargers - ditch the navy and make powder blue the primary color, and bring back the yellow pants.

2. San Diego Padres - brown and gold, please.

3. UCLA football - Bring back this look and then never change again.

4. New England Patriots and Dallas Mavericks (tie) - the two most overpiped, awkward, and stale uniforms in sports. Both sets really need to go.

5. Dallas Cowboys - their identity is an unprofessional mess and it needs to be fixed.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

What's the definition of a "rebrand"? New logos, new colors, complete change?

This right here really needs to be a thread unto itself. So many people misuse that word it's rudiculous.

Carolina Panthers - jank logo. dated uniforms. girly colors. time to grow up and become an NFL identity

I don't care for that half-strung-out-on-PCP-looking logo update, either. But the rest of that, though? Please explain (particularly the "girly colors" part).

1. San Diego Chargers - ditch the navy and make powder original pacific blue the primary color, and bring back the yellow pants.

Edit notwithstanding, I actually agree with this—especially the yellow pants part. The Chargers made this work in the '60s, and I believe they can do so in current day, as well. (Plus the idea of a white/white/yellow/white away uniform really intrigues me. It'd only work with white shoes, though.)

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

1. San Diego Chargers - ditch the navy and make powder blue the primary color, and bring back the yellow pants.

2. San Diego Padres - brown and gold, please.

3. UCLA football - Bring back this look and then never change again.

4. New England Patriots and Dallas Mavericks (tie) - the two most overpiped, awkward, and stale uniforms in sports. Both sets really need to go.

5. Dallas Cowboys - their identity is an unprofessional mess and it needs to be fixed.

H-hold on...no Rays?

1985 1989 1991 1992 1993

Time to raise a banner in my lifetime boys!

1. Pittsburgh Penguins: Ditch or seriously update the Skating Penguin. Put the Robo-Pen back on the shoulders, drop the vegas gold non-sense, or limit it to a 3rd jersey in favor of black and athletic gold.

2. San Diego Padres: Change colors to brown and sand. Sand is a good fit for San Diego, and yellow would draw too many. Get some logos that actually have some creativity (the one exception being the swinging friar), not replicas of the ******* stadium.

3. Miami Marlins: It's subjective and not going to happen, but bring back the teal.

4. Jacksonville Jaguars: I just want to puke when I look at their uniforms now. I'm also not a fan of the "jaguar head" logo at all. Teal, gold, black, some updated logos, and a striping pattern that doesn't resemble the Minnesota Vikings and Bettman NHL stripes please. It doesn't make sense for a modern team, but even traditional striping would be 1000x better than the nonsense they wear now.

5. Pitt Panthers: The matte gold they wear now is infuriating considering what they could be wearing. I hate the block scripts they wear across the front too. The black drop shadow just muddles it to the point of it being absurd. The only somewhat decent part of their brand is the Panther heads. I'd say that they update their 1980-1996 logo, and create a set out of that. That was a strong logo. Even the slightly overrated "Pitt" cursive script would be better than what they wear now.

HM. Colorado Rockies: It's not a dire straits situtation, but put some purple on the uniforms! My gosh, you are literally the only team in MLB that wears purple, and yet you muddle it out with black. It's so ridiculous that it deserves a mention.

Archived