What 5 team rebrands would you like for Christmas?

VancouverFan69

Whenever these kinds of threads ask people to mention 5 teams instead of 1, it invariably seems like nearly every team in every league gets mentioned at least once somewhere along the way. Less is more, people.

Uh, bruh...in a community where there's fans of, oh I don't know, every team out there, inevitably that's gonna happen.

Deal with it.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Memphis Grizzlies: Everyone talks about the Red and Blue color scheme being overdone in the NBA, but no one talks about another epidemic that affects far too many NBA teams: the double-blue. The Mavs, Bobcats, Nuggets, Hornets and the Grizzlies all wear some sort of double-blue scheme. And, since the Griz have a quality throwback to go back to, I reason that they should honor history and go with the green and gold look from their history.

clippersgrizthrowbacks.jpg

Please no green and gold for Memphis. But I wouldn't mind if the Grizz added a brown with the blue (like several good concepts on here), but don't see it happening anytime soon.

"I did absolutely nothing and it was everything I thought it could be." -Peter Gibbons

RIP Demitra #38

So... for approxamately 2 out of every 3 posters, "rebrand" means "go back to my favorite older look"?

I'm a return-to-an-old-look guy... one of the biggest. But please... stop calling it a rebrand!

How can someone rebrand something without returning or making a new look?

I mean, think about it. If I was to rebrand the Steelers, I would have them in athletic gold helmets instead of black. If I was to rebrand Dallas, I would remake the blue uniforms to match the white ones so instead of navy it would be royal blue.

Same with the Bills. They rebrand by changing the logo and uniforms in 2011.

In my mind, the NFL has seen only one true rebrand in the past few decades... Tampa Bay. Maybe Denver, maybe Seattle, if you stretch the definition slightly.

Titans.

The Chargers have never really rebranded. Their look has been consistent throughout their entire existence with minor changes, primarily colors. That's completely different from what Tampa Bay did.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

1. CINCINNATI BENGALS

Go back to the uniforms right before the disaster they have now. I cannot stand the current Bengals uniforms. Too much crap on each jersey. The white ones are really fugly.

2. CLEVELAND CAVALIERS

Red and gold bleh. Bring back out the logo and colors of the 80's. Cleveland had their best run with Mark Price, Craig Ehlo, Brad Daugherty, and Ron Harper.

3. ARIZONA DIAMONDBACKS

The purple and teal was unique and great for them. Too many teams in the MLB use red these days.

4. SEATTLE SEAHAWKS

I have tried to like the new jerseys, but they are too "collegey". They had their best unis in the 80's with the likes of Largent and Moon.

5. MINNESOTA VIKINGS

Like Cincy and Seattle they had it right and then went bad.

This should be fun..

1. Toronto Raptors: I can't tell you how much I hate the Red/Black look. It's boring. Bring back the Purple!! I wouldn't mind to see the Raptor on the jersey again but I know that a lot of people disagree with me on that.
  2. Toronto FC: I'm not one of those people who feel like the team should adapt the Blizzard or Linx names, I'm fine with the name. What I don't like is the crest. I feel like it's just random elements thrown together with no rhyme or reason. The 2 shades of grey drive me crazy too. Pick one, stick with it.
  3. Anaheim Ducks: I know this one has been mentioned a few times already. I realize that they can't bring back the "mighty" part of the name and I believe the old logo is still owned by Disney as well. Why can't they have a logo though? The wordmark is lazy and boring, so are the colours. If you want to look like a duck use green and brown with some yellow or orange. I've never seen a gold duck.
  4. Buffalo Sabres: The latest re-brand was so close but so far to me. It's a simple fix of dropping the silver piping on the jersey and the outlines in the logo. Also, use a lighter shade of blue.
  5. Calgary Hitmen: Pink and Black is how it should be. There's a reason the team is called the Hitmen, not wearing pink and black is just stupid!

GTA United(USA) 2015 + 2016 USA Champions/Toronto Maroons (ULL)2014, 2015 + 2022 Gait Cup Champions/Toronto Northmen (TNFF)

Cleveland Browns - Change the logo from a helmet to a Bulldog

Oklahoma City Thunder - Change the colour schem to blue , gold & silver then change the logo to a rampageing bison

Brooklyn Nets - Should change there logo to incorperate New York landmarks like the statue of Liberity or the empire state buliding

Dallas Stars - Should change there colour scheme to blue , silver , white & black then change the logo to incorperate a longhorn bull in a star

New York Giants - Change there logo to the statue of Liberities torch

Anaheim Ducks: I know this one has been mentioned a few times already. I realize that they can't bring back the "mighty" part of the name and I believe the old logo is still owned by Disney as well. Why can't they have a logo though? The wordmark is lazy and boring, so are the colours. If you want to look like a duck use green and brown with some yellow or orange. I've never seen a gold duck.

I don't think the old logo is still owned by Disney. The current third jersey features the old logo on the shoulders.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I'll clarify what I think "rebrand" means. At the very least it means keeping the team name, but changing everything else. It could also mean changing the team entirely. The Canucks dropping the orca in favour of Johnny Canuck isn't a rebrand, because the majority of the brand (the colours, most of the logos, the sweater designs) would remain the same. So here are my five....

Cleveland Indians- I've said it before, but the name "Indians" isn't in and of itself racist. It's just not. It's simply a holdover from an earlier time. The Indians could rectify their identity issues, in my opinion, by dropping Wahoo and using the block C in his place. That being said, I do think the team could benefit long-term by a rebrand. They should resurrect the old Cleveland Spiders name. The name would be unique to professional sports, and a cap featuring just the silhouette of a spider and nothing else would instantly stand out among the caps in Major League Baseball.

Washington Redskins- The last Native-themed name on this list :D I'm just shocked that, in the year 2012, North American society tolerated a team whose name is a racial slur. No team would be allowed to use a derogatory term for Africans, Jews, Asians, Latinos, Arabs, or any other ethnic group as a name, so why does a team who uses a derogatory term for Native Americans get a pass? Washington Federals could be a neat name, and tie in with the Capitals and Nationals.

Tennessee Titans- I've always defended the Titans as having one of the modern uniforms in the NFL that, on the whole, isn't that bad. Sure they have problems, but as far as modern looks go, they aren't that offensive. That being said, I think I've gotten tired of the entire Titans identity. Honestly, I would prefer it if they went back to Tennessee Oilers. First off, I love that logo. Secondly I think it would be neat if the names of all of the AFL franchises were intact. Finally, if we can have Lakers in Los Angeles why not Oilers in Tennessee?

San Diego Padres- The name fine, but I'd tweak or change everything else. Athletic gold and brown is a good looking colour scheme that no one else uses. It was the team's first colour scheme, and they should embrace it. They should also look into going back to one of the older SD logos. The one they have now, it just doesn't work for me.

Tampa Bay Lightning- They need to drop the "we aped the Maple Leafs' and Red Wings' identities" look. The 2007-2011 logos on the 1992-2007 uniforms would be ideal.

Sd7Dk.png
On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I think the Raptors need something... but purple is desperately needed if they're going to stay with this look. Why would you go from looking unique to doing red and black for goodness sakes. It's like the Wizards being in correct wizarding colours with a colour combo no-one else has to doing red-white-blue which it seems half of professional sports teams use. It's such obvious regression and waters down identities. I think their wizard logo in red-white-blue looks sooo bad, it's awful. Either stay with those colours or change the name. Anyways, for the Raptors they should get rid of the roundel around the claw and go back to just the claw (as a secondary) and bring back purple and start using their main dribbling raptor logo more often, mainly on center court. I think the purple uniforms from the Carter era were perfect, with only red they seem a bit off and in need of something. They are unique unis though, still pretty good, just seem a bit peaky without purple.

I was also wondering why when they were naming the expansion team they didn't choose Huskies. I read it was because they thought any logo would look like the Timberwolves, but that seems a flimsy reason. Baseball has three bird teams, and the Orioles, Cards and Jays still have very distinct identities. And actually the other recent Toronto expansion franchise chose the Blue Jays name despite the other two bird teams, so not choosing Huskies only because of one other dog team is iffy. And the blue and white Huskies would tie in with the colours of Toronto's other major sports teams so well. However the name raptors is actually very good, no-one else is using dinosaurs and the raptors is the best team name to choose from. I just think it would be better for a city more known for paleontology, like Calgary or a place in the southwest.

1. Charlotte Bobcats When talking rebrand, its only right you mention this team, considering their identity is about as lost as [insert joke here], but they have a perfect opportunity to do it now. Reclaim the Hornets name, now that NOLA won't have it, have a great redesign, and at least they'll look pretty decent while losing.

2. Jacksonville Jaguars When they "rebranded", all of their originality was sucked down the drain. The Jags need to bring back gold to the uniforms and make a modern update to their old uniforms or go in a completely different route, but not make a fool of themselves, because they generic piping uniforms are atrocious. I'm glad they didn't touch the helmet.

3. Oklahoma City Thunder Honestly, there's a HEAP load of things that could have been done with the name "Thunder", and they shot themselves in the foot with a disgusting generic design. They NEED to rebrand to something more powerful and suitable for the NBA.

4. Sacramento Kings No disrespect to Kings fans, but I've thought about the Kings packing it up and moving to Seattle to be the Sonics. We've heard rumors about the team's arena issues and they really haven't had shine since the early 2000s. But, if by chance they are able to do something, I say take the chance to rebrand the Kings in California's capital, by all means do so.

5. Cleveland Cavaliers They really fell hard and lost identity after LeBron's departure, so it's about time the Cavs got serious and get out of this bland phase. I say eliminate any trace of navy from the color scheme, as I feel it is tacky, especially with the logos. And I feel that the logo w/ the "Cavaliers" script in front of the crossed swords should be their basis and their primary.

I was also wondering why when they were naming the expansion team they didn't choose Huskies. I read it was because they thought any logo would look like the Timberwolves, but that seems a flimsy reason. Baseball has three bird teams, and the Orioles, Cards and Jays still have very distinct identities. And actually the other recent Toronto expansion franchise chose the Blue Jays name despite the other two bird teams, so not choosing Huskies only because of one other dog team is iffy. And the blue and white Huskies would tie in with the colours of Toronto's other major sports teams so well. However the name raptors is actually very good, no-one else is using dinosaurs and the raptors is the best team name to choose from. I just think it would be better for a city more known for paleontology, like Calgary or a place in the southwest.

They originally intended to go with "Huskies", but they opted against it because they realized that it would be nearly impossible to create a logo that didn't resemble Minnesota's.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Brooklyn Nets - Should change there logo to incorperate New York landmarks like the statue of Liberity or the empire state buliding

Nothing says Brooklyn like 2 landmarks that are not in Brooklyn at all.

2nn48xofg0hms8k326cqdmuis.gifUnited States (2016 - Pres)7204.gif144.gif

They originally intended to go with "Huskies", but they opted against it because they realized that it would be nearly impossible to create a logo that didn't resemble Minnesota's.

They could've always chosen to play up the "Toronto" half of the name.

Archived