5 sports venues you want to visit

Tailgaters.jpg

On a scale of 1-10, how Wisconsininny is this picture? I give it a solid 7: take into account the wraparound shades on the paunchy man, the bejerseyed woman caught mid-yell, and not one but two middle-aged women with short, curly hair. A large man in larger eyeglasses would've taken it to an 8.

Ehh... maybe on the "bottom 1/3 of Wisconsin doesn't exist" scale. It's missing the hot college-aged chicks in pink Clay Matthews jerseys, the contingents from various UW not-Madison's doing keg stands, and the Waueksha County businessmen and their wives drinking Heinikens around a brand new propane grill they can't figure out how to work.

:P

• Replies 81
  • Created
  • Last Reply
Tailgaters.jpg

On a scale of 1-10, how Wisconsininny is this picture? I give it a solid 7: take into account the wraparound shades on the paunchy man, the bejerseyed woman caught mid-yell, and not one but two middle-aged women with short, curly hair. A large man in larger eyeglasses would've taken it to an 8.

Ehh... maybe on the "bottom 1/3 of Wisconsin doesn't exist" scale. It's missing the hot college-aged chicks in pink Clay Matthews jerseys, the contingents from various UW-not Madison's doing keg stands, and the Waueksha County businessmen and their wives drinking Heinikens around a brand new propane grill they can't figure out how to work.

:P

Add in the trendy folk in "vintage" Packers gear drinking Pabst, and saying their only there cause the tickets where given by their dad or something like that and you have the microcosm of Wisconsin.

packchampionslfroh.png

It is missing cheese curds and someone asking "Where is the bubbler?"

As a new resident of Illinois I'm supposed to :censored: on Wisconsin every chance I get, right?

Only if you're a redneck or an insecure a**hat from Chicago who went to Marquette.

But you seem to have the same contempt for backward-ass up-north gomers as everyone else. Is this a "he's a son of a bitch but he's my son of a bitch" thing?

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Past:

1. Boston Garden: As a Laker fan, this is the place where I always think "damn, why wasn't I born sooner." All those stories of a leprechaun on center court, uneven parquet floors, rats, and lack of an AC system made this place so beloved to me, even as a rival.

2. Chicago Stadium. Would have loved to see this during Michael Jordan's prime, especially all those battles against the Pistons.

3. Old Yankee Stadium. So many freaking moments occurred here, I can't even begin. Reggie Jackson, Jeffrey Maier, Jeter, Tino, the 2001 WS, Grady and Boone, and the 0-3 comeback completed. Sucked that with all the history, this stadium met the wrecking ball.

4. Soldier Field (before 2002 "renovation"): If the Bears represent defensive power, the pillars and presentation of this stadium invoked all of it. Sadly, the stadium now is horribly unjuxtaposed (classic pillars with alien interior).

5. Veterans Stadium: Wanted to be curious if the 700 level did have a jail and courthouse.

Current:

1. Wrigley Field: The ivy, the location, the rooftops, the flags and classic hand switched scoreboard...on TV it looks majestic. Also the celebrity 7th inning stretches (Ozzy did it best BTW). So wanna go here.

2. Fenway Park: Personally, the park lost some luster when the monster seats were installed, but given how baseball hungry Boston is, it's worth a chat to talk about it with Sox fans next to you.

3. Madison Square Garden: If it's called the "world's most famous arena," then I want to see all the hoop lah this building has to offer. Especially if this is a Knicks game.

4. Rose Bowl (during the Rose Bowl Game): Granted, I've been here for other events, especially international soccer. But I can't say I visited this venue until I do it in its signature game.

5. Lambeau Field: The frozen tundra, loyal and awesome fans, the history of the team in this Milwaukee suburb, cheese(!!!). And did I mention the chances of hugging a pro football player when he does the leap? Gotta see this.

In addition to the birds nest in Beijing, I will also have the opportunity to see the slightly-less-impressive Laugardalsvöllur in Reykjavik Iceland.

http://www.worldstadiums.com/stadium_pictures/europe/iceland/reykjavik.shtml

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Reykjavik is becoming a hot tourist spot. Great scenery, lots of light (depending on when you go), the blue lagoon, volcanoes etc. Plus the film parts of Game of Thrones there, so there's some appeal there as well. It's more of a "long weekend" trek, but packed with cool stuff.

Water is like 100 degrees no matter how cold it is outside cause of the ash (I think.)

iceland-blue-lagoon-07.jpg

Not sure if it gets any whiter than this. My glass of milk just looked at this picture and said "that party's too white for me."

iceland-party.jpg?1262878652

And of course I can rekindle my crush from like 18 years ago.

MI0002386658.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

The girl in the blue bikini, middle-ground on the right, looks kind of like Bjork. Of course, Iceland is a low literacy rate away from being considered "really freaking inbred," so I'm thinking like 20% of the females look like Bjork.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Yes, they are Milwaukee's team; no, this does not make Green Bay a suburb of Milwaukee. Womp womp.

It's not, but for two regular season and one pre-season game per year, the fans come mostly from downstate.

And of course I can rekindle my crush from like 18 years ago.

MI0002386658.jpg?partner=allrovi.com

But isn't Michael Jackson dead?

michael-ackson.jpg

(maybe it's just the Nyquil talking)

Back on topic--the one venue I wish I could have seen is Forbes Field in Pittsburgh, and that's because I went to Pitt and had classes in Posvar Hall (I'm still calling it Forbes Quad), the building that sits on the Forbes Field site. It would've been cool to have a Major League stadium on campus. And I would've wanted to check out the view of the ballpark from high up in the Cathedral of Learning.

I guess my top 5 current venues would be whatever whatever Pac Bell Park is calling itself these days, Camden Yards, Fenway, Wrigley, and Barclays Center. I'm sure I'll be seeing that last one when the Islanders move there.

Wow...had no idea that tailgating pic would be such a conversation starter. That was one of the mild ones from my Lambeau visit too.

I've heard of cheeseheads of course but if it's a bra instead of a hat then these would be...

Holy%20Fan%21.jpg

Wild%20Hair.jpg

Pickle%20Guy.jpg

File this one under "Do we really want to know?" :oops:

Do%20We%20Really%20Want%20to%20Know.jpg

Guess this is a preseason game face...and yeah, he's dancing to the pregame entertainment.

Do%20a%20Little%20Dance%2C%20Get%20Down%20Tonight.jpg

Oh, and there was a game, too. :D Even had a uni oddity...note Aaron Brooks with full NOB.

Huddle%20Up.jpg

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

Archived