Sign in to follow this  
Aric_Cee

Basketball fantasy logo - Washington Reign!

...which is comprise mainly of rather pastel-type colours...

:therock: I don't see one pastel in the scheme...

Yeah, pastel probably isn't the right word... I mean primarily non-intense colours that are a few hues off of true red and blue, the blue moreso than the red.

Basically, their lighter and less intense than fire engine red and royal blue.

I see.... like desaturated.

...which is comprise mainly of rather pastel-type colours...

:therock: I don't see one pastel in the scheme...

Yeah, pastel probably isn't the right word... I mean primarily non-intense colours that are a few hues off of true red and blue, the blue moreso than the red.

Basically, their lighter and less intense than fire engine red and royal blue.

I see.... like desaturated.

Yeah, that's what I'm trying to say.

Terminology... who needs it? :P

Hey everyone! I thank you all for your great comments. With some of the suggestions I read, here is Revision #2:

was-reign_logo-rev2.jpg

Now THAT is a nice improvement! Nothing overbearing, and yet still very simple and elegant. Also very "peelable" in that the crown could function as a separate icon. Very, very nice work! In terms of the colors, the one on the top left doesn't bother me so much now. Maybe it was a spacing issue I had before. If this were a game of Battleship, you'd be launching missles all around the aircraft carrier, but I don't think you've sunk it quite yet. There's still a better color combo in there somewhere for this than the four you have now. Just play around with it a bit. Excellent work!

Also, the crown's shape conflicts with the surrounding circle outline... I'd have the circle just extend below the wordmark (around the basketball), while a scaled-larger version of the crown would form the primary shape above "Reign". With the top half of the circle now gone, it would make sense for the "Washington" to be placed parallel to "Reign".

Terrific work, the project continues. The crown looks cool, but I agree with Nitro in saying the ideal colour combination has yet to be found. I think the problem might be is that there is no dominant colour, and that the red and blue fight for prominence. I think one needs to be adjusted slightly to be a little more saturated, with a larger presence in the logo, and through that you might find the ideal combo.

Great work!

I think you're on the right track... here's what I'd do to finish it off:

1 - Move "Washington" to the lower portion of the circle.

2- Enlarge the crown so that it extends outside of the circle.

3- Flatten the bottom edge of the crown so it's parallel with the lettering.

I also wouldn't mind seeing the basketball being one color instead of ABA style... It's a personal preference, but I think alternating panals are kinda dorky. :P

That's an excellent revision with the crown. It definitely says "Reign" more than the wordmark by itself.

I like the top left version, it really pops out, but I do agree with the others, a more definite color scheme with a dominant color needs to be presented. Keep at it, you're definitely on the right track.

One color question, though...why the big cmyk mixture for black? You should just use 100% K, it will make it a lot easier to print out, and you won't run the risk of oversaturation.

Revision 3:

was-reign_logo-rev3.jpg

I think it's really close, but I'd split the difference with the size of the crown and still have the top portion of the circle, kinda like this:

reign.gif

I like it.... great job! :)

Agreed! You've hit on the right colours and the right proportions. A great logo!

Wow, what started out as a good logo, has now become a great logo. Good job. It's good to see feedback help the evolution of the logo.

Wow. Excellent!

I wonderful job manning the illustrator, and a great job of some top-notch designers providing awesome feedback. Way to take the comments as constructive, and makeing sensable changed that make this logo now rock!

Awesome. I love it!

I'm not really feeling these uniforms at all. Your logo is very powerful, but these unis are very weak in comparison. Here's some things I would recommend experimenting with and/or changing:

- You have a lot of unique shapes within that crown on your logo. Maybe try pulling those into the design of your jersey in a not-over-the-top way to give the whole package some continuity.

- I would highly advise against blue numbers on red jerseys for the away uni. Blue and red don't particularly like each other, and often have to rely on white as a neutral buffer. If you've ever noticed when something blue sits directly on top of something red (or vice versa) with nothing separating the two, there is a strong visual tension at the edges where they meet. The black doesn't serve as a strong enough buffer in this case, and, doesn't relieve much of that tension, so I'd suggest changing the numbers' main color to white and finding an alternate use for the blue.

- The alternate gray jersey... ehhh... Gray is not a color that translates well as a main color for a uniform. I think a blue alternate might be a better option here. Your logo really demands a lot of power with the name and symbol. You want what the team is wearing to also invoke that feeling of power. Gray is a rather mediocre, blasé color with a sort of indecisive vibe. Maybe your team is trying to decide if they want to be powerful today or not... who knows. I just don't really see the gray working all that well.

- The shorts need something. They look very lonely and sad with no stripes of any kind. Give them a little love and some creative strokes, and make this package sing.

You've got it in you to really amp this uni set up. You just need to figure out how to effectively add some life to it without overdoing it (because it could very easily be done). Keep us updated!

Revision 4:

was-reign_logo-rev4.jpg

I'd like this WAAAAAAAAAY more with the color set of number 5 in the beginning. Can you pretty please show what that would look like :D

Revision 4:

was-reign_logo-rev4.jpg

I'd like this WAAAAAAAAAY more with the color set of number 5 in the beginning. Can you pretty please show what that would look like :D

Enjoy!

was-reign_logo-no5.jpg

That logo is magnificent. Love the crown, and I love the #4 style logo much better.

The unis could use a little work.

This uniform is in need of some stylized stripes on the side. This is quite the modern logo that needs a modern design. Have a look at the NBA uniforms and some concepts around here, and experiment with the colours. I suggest somthing similar to the Mavericks, but it's up to you.

That basketball on the shorts is not the way to go IMO. Use the Main logo.

I would go with a blue away jersey with a red alt, but that's just my opinion. Experiment a little bit with the colours overall cause I don't think they look right.

This has soooo much potential. Keep it up!