2013-14 Soccer kits

UnclearInitial

• Replies 2.5k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Stoke City:

nouveau-maillot-2014-stoke-city.jpeg

OK, I understand Adidas in don't do stripes for Southampton. To produce three red and white striped shirts in one league would be a bit much.

I'm a simple person, I have a pixelated David Beckham as profile photo since 2010.

Stoke City:

nouveau-maillot-2014-stoke-city.jpeg

OK, I understand Adidas in don't do stripes for Southampton. To produce three red and white striped shirts in one league would be a bit much.

Actually it's because the club want to play in all red. It's nothing to do with Adidas, although in part you are right because partly the club want a clearer, more recognisable image.

Stoke's new kit is good, looks like a Stoke kit.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That Stoke shirt's a bit of alright.

Actually it's because the club want to play in all red. It's nothing to do with Adidas, although in part you are right because partly the club want a clearer, more recognisable image.

Adidas aren't averse to sticking their oar in, though - apparently when they took over doing our kits they tried to persuade us to ditch amber and go with a more primary yellow. Fortunately though sense prevailed and we got our proper hue.

Since Southampton have had red and striped shirts for the vast majority of their history (http://www.historicalkits.co.uk/Southampton/Southampton.htm has it starting in 1896) going to plain red for a more recognisable image seems counter productive. When i think of Southampton, i think of Matt Le Tissier scoring sublime goals in a red and white striped shirt with black shorts, and I doubt i'm alone in that.

Since Southampton have had red and striped shirts for the vast majority of their history (http://www.historica...Southampton.htm has it starting in 1896) going to plain red for a more recognisable image seems counter productive. When i think of Southampton, i think of Matt Le Tissier scoring sublime goals in a red and white striped shirt with black shorts, and I doubt i'm alone in that.

Indeed. The club has a very recognisable look which - although not unique by any stretch of the imagination - screams Southampton. Casting it aside seems rather foolish.

Anyway, here's Hajduk Split...

0a19.jpg

Cheer up lads, it might never happen.

Borussia Dortmund unveil new home shirt with 80,645 flowers

172997077.jpg

172997076.jpg

172997102.jpg

173044273.jpg

Quote from the official team website:

On Thursday night, PUMA planted the 80,645 flower pots, equalling the capacity of SIGNAL IDUNA PARK, in the design of the new shirt. The flowers - marigolds as well as black, pink and grey petunias - had been specially cultivated in black and yellow pots for this campaign.

More pics here: http://www.kicker.de/news/fussball/bundesliga/startseite/588882/2/slideshow_blumenmeer-fuer-borussias-neues-leibchen.html

sport-scarf_dortmund_zps9338859f.png

Since Southampton have had red and striped shirts for the vast majority of their history (http://www.historica...Southampton.htm has it starting in 1896) going to plain red for a more recognisable image seems counter productive. When i think of Southampton, i think of Matt Le Tissier scoring sublime goals in a red and white striped shirt with black shorts, and I doubt i'm alone in that.

In particular the Pony kit that had the red V on it as well as the stripes. That one's always stuck in my head for some reason.

liverpool-1.png

In particular the Pony kit that had the red V on it as well as the stripes. That one's always stuck in my head for some reason.

I agree with the point, but Mr Cortese doesn't, and he's the one that gets to choose. I think his point was red and white stripes would be worn by Sunderland, stoke and Southampton. All red kit remains the province of Liverpool. Also there are plenty of other red and white stripped teams across Europe, fewer with plain red.

I think it's sad, and I would hope that one day the stripes will return, but it ain't happening next season!

It's also true that some of Southampton's more evocative kits have not been plain red and white stripes. The admiral irregular red and white stripes, the Patrick red shirt with white band, the Hummel half plain red, half thin red and white stripes The rather messy pony striped kit to name a few.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

That's the solution then, isn't it? Find a unique stripe treatment rather than tossing aside the club's history.

Southampton adopted a sash shirt a couple of years ago that was based on one of their very early kits. It looked great, reflected history and was a pretty unique look so far as English teams are concerned. I seem to remember it going down very well with supporters, too.

That's the solution then, isn't it? Find a unique stripe treatment rather than tossing aside the club's history.

Southampton adopted a sash shirt a couple of years ago that was based on one of their very early kits. It looked great, reflected history and was a pretty unique look so far as English teams are concerned. I seem to remember it going down very well with supporters, too.

Yes yes, how could I forget that one! But there are plenty of options instead of a plain red shirt. Actually the red sash would be a great, unique look, at least around Europe.

Wembley-1.png

2011/12 WFL Champions

You're referring to Southampton's 2010-2011 kit.

southampton_2010-2011.gif

It paid homage to the kit that the team wore from 1885 through 1889 as the side representing the St. Mary's Young Men's Association.

southampton_1885-1889.gif

Yup, that's the one. And very nice it looked too, if I might add.

It would certainly be a distinctive look in this country. River Plate has nowt on the Solent.

Archived