Maps with sports logos on them

RoughRiders99

Here is an old one Nike put together for MLB - http://zeitgeistinap...09/06/ucob1.jpg

It sucks living in the unincorporated territories.

I don't mind it--you can pick your team (as long as you stay with your selection).

That said, when I lived in the Salt Lake area, I didn't know many Rockies fans. In fact having lived in two states in unincorporated territories--Idaho and Utah, there were more Braves or Cubs fans because we could get TBS and WGN, so we if we wanted to see baseball, those were the teams we watched.

BTW, the posts so far in this thread have been killer for those of us who are too lazy to click on links--this is the only one I've clicked so far, so I'll make it an inline image.

ucob1.jpg

I'm curious to know if all of Canada is behind the Blue Jays, especially once the Expos left.

No, the Blue Jays most definitely aren't supported by all of Canada. In the Maritimes, there are a lot of Red Sox fans, the Twins are very popular in Manitoba, and BC mainly supports Seattle, and even in Southwestern Ontario, the Tigers have a large fanbase.

• Replies 61
  • Created
  • Last Reply

A map I would be interested in seeing, unlike most of these, would be one for RSN carriage, which as Iowans know all too well is not necessarily congruent with the baseball territory map. It would probably be pretty hard to do, you'd have to do it like zip code by zip code, but it'd be a cool resource. I bet you could crowdsource it to the 506ers.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Here is an old one Nike put together for MLB - http://zeitgeistinap...09/06/ucob1.jpg

I don't mind it--you can pick your team (as long as you stay with your selection).

That said, when I lived in the Salt Lake area, I didn't know many Rockies fans. In fact having lived in two states in unincorporated territories--Idaho and Utah, there were more Braves or Cubs fans because we could get TBS and WGN, so we if we wanted to see baseball, those were the teams we watched.

BTW, the posts so far in this thread have been killer for those of us who are too lazy to click on links--this is the only one I've clicked so far, so I'll make it an inline image.

ucob1.jpg

I'm curious to know if all of Canada is behind the Blue Jays, especially once the Expos left.

No, the Blue Jays most definitely aren't supported by all of Canada. In the Maritimes, there are a lot of Red Sox fans, the Twins are very popular in Manitoba, and BC mainly supports Seattle, and even in Southwestern Ontario, the Tigers have a large fanbase.

I think in general they are. Yes there are fans for northern US teams who are close by the border of their area, for example I bet Vancouver has more Mariners fans than Jays fans. But national media like TSN focuses heavily on the Jays when reporting on baseball, then all other teams are an afterthought. Unless something big happened the day before like someone pitched a no-hitter, any Jays news leads the baseball coverage. And I bet this gets people behind them. Plus Canadians seem to love when anything from their country makes it big time in the US, so I think nationalistic tendencies trumps regionally-closer teams, but again this is in general. I imagine each province besides Ontario is half Jays fans half a mix of other teams.

I think in general they are. Yes there are fans for northern US teams who are close by the border of their area, for example I bet Vancouver has more Mariners fans than Jays fans. But national media like TSN focuses heavily on the Jays when reporting on baseball, then all other teams are an afterthought. Unless something big happened the day before like someone pitched a no-hitter, any Jays news leads the baseball coverage. And I bet this gets people behind them. Plus Canadians seem to love when anything from their country makes it big time in the US, so I think nationalistic tendencies trumps regionally-closer teams, but again this is in general. I imagine each province besides Ontario is half Jays fans half a mix of other teams.

I agree with this assessment. It's also a fairly stark change from the late 80s/early 90s when Canada was basically behind the Expos in Quebec and behind the Jays everywhere else, except for a few pockets of Mariners fans in BC and Red Sox fans in the Maritimes. The Jays are much more of a GTA/Southern Ontario-only phenomenon these days.

When I was a kid growing up in Manitoba, the Jays (in their World Series prime) were arguably the most popular sports team after the local teams. These days I get the impression that the Twins probably have more fans than the Jays do (partly due to the fact that Target Field is road-trippable from Winnipeg) although there are still substantial numbers of Jays fans around, likely as holdovers from the 90s glory days and the fact that TSN/SportsNet provide a ton of Jays coverage.

ucob1.jpg

As far as I know, not many people in West Virginia cheer for the Indians, they cheer for the Reds and Pirates. I used to live in southeast Ohio and most people there cheer for the Reds, not the Indians.

mcbqza.jpg

They definitely more Giant fans then A's fans pretty much everywhere north of Bakersfield(Which is LA territory).although there are a solid amount of Oakland fans in that area.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

A map I would be interested in seeing, unlike most of these, would be one for RSN carriage, which as Iowans know all too well is not necessarily congruent with the baseball territory map. It would probably be pretty hard to do, you'd have to do it like zip code by zip code, but it'd be a cool resource. I bet you could crowdsource it to the 506ers.

I wonder if we can do this together on Google Maps.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

ucob1.jpg

Actually, as a baseball fan from a part of the Unincorporated Territory (Utah), I'd argue that the Dodgers and to a lesser extent the Angels would be among the teams most well-supported in the state. All 3 of the affiliated teams are associated with one of those teams--the Salt Lake Bees (PCL) and Orem Owlz (Pioneer League) are affilated with the Angels while the Ogden Raptors, also in the same league as Orem, are affiliated with the Dodgers.

Don't get me wrong, there are a lot of Braves fans (thank you TBS), but I think the Dodgers have just as much support as the Braves, while the Rockies do have some (slightly growing) support due to being covered by the same network as the NBA's Jazz (ROOT Sports). The Giants, Mariners, and Cardinals (which I am--I'll duck) all have their fair share of supporters here as well.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

ucob1.jpg

In Vancouver, the Mariners/Blue Jays fans are almost 50-50 split. It really depends who is doing better, Unfortunately neither has done that well since 2001.

Archived