SD Chargers: Worst Uniforms in the NFL IMHO

Mitch B

• Replies 201
  • Created
  • Last Reply

It should be forbidden in the NFL for the helmet, jersey and pants to all be different colors. Looks terrible.

Yes and no. It doesn't always look bad. The '90s Bills and classic Broncos looks were great. The red Texans jersey with white pants looks fine. That being said, I agree that Chargers concept is terrible. The "three different color elements" thing is universally terrible when the helmet is white. White helmets absolutely have to be paired with white pants.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

The Leaf connotation is part of why I don't like them - in fact, those uniforms are associated with some of the worst Charger moments in history (Leaf, the Super Bowl beatdown, McCree). But my main beef with them is the lack of powder blue and the emphasis on boring navy and white. The current set isn't perfect, but the powder blue alternate alone is better than the entire set that preceded it.

Interesting how your only Super Bowl appearance brings pain to you. That was probablly the best Chargers team in franchise history despite the talent on the early 80s teams with Fouts/Joyner/Winslow, which is when they also looked their best as infared also said above.

This is my opinion, but I believe the 1994 Chargers were more lucky than were a powerful team, compared to past San Diego teams. Yes they were AFC West champs, but they got all the bounces prior to Super Bowl XXIX. They were aided by a missed Stoyanovich FG in the Divisional Round against the Dolphins, then held off a Steelers 4th-and-3 at the goal line in the AFC Title Game (O'Donnell was the anti-Rothelisberger for Pittsburgh in the postseason). They just ran into the Cowboys/49ers conglomerate of the mid-1990s, and got spanked by Steve Young's six TD's in the game. In that NFL season, it was Dallas/San Francisco, then everybody else (unfairly and unfortunately), so whoever escaped the AFC met the wrath of either one of those teams.

The "Air Coryell" late-1970s/early-1980s teams had great shots of getting, and winning, a Super Bowl, but had the misfortune of being stunned by the Oilers (who didn't have all-stars Dan Pastorini and Earl Campbell in the game), then they lost to the wildcard Raiders the following year, and then they were gassed-out in the "Miami Epic," only to be subjected to one of the coldest games in NFL history in Cincinnati the following week.

The "Rivers" teams also had good opportunities for Super Bowl success, but were beaten in back to back losses to the Patriots (the McCree fumble/Schottenheimer gaffe in the Divisional, then the injuries in Foxboro the following year), a loss to the Steelers where Polamalu terrorized San Diego in frostbite conditions, and then Mark Sanchez and the Jets topping the Chargers in their last playoff game, to date.

My point is that just because the 1994 team made it to the Super Bowl, doesn't mean it's the best Chargers team in franchise history.

It should be forbidden in the NFL for the helmet, jersey and pants to all be different colors. Looks terrible.

Yes and no. It doesn't always look bad. The '90s Bills and classic Broncos looks were great. The red Texans jersey with white pants looks fine. That being said, I agree that Chargers concept is terrible. The "three different color elements" thing is universally terrible when the helmet is white. White helmets absolutely have to be paired with white pants.

It looks best when the helmet is the darkest and the pants are the lightest. Definitely agree about the white helmets, the uniform looks way too bottom heavy when the helmet is white with dark jerseys and pants.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

• 9 months later...

I'm a die hard charger fan and I honestly think that our current uniforms are our best to date. Im talking about the 2013 Nike redesign of the reebok 2007 update. Let me get this straight, alot of you guys think this is the worst uniform in the NFL? Ridiculous. People often regard this as the BEST in the NFL. The uniforms even got betterthis year (since they got rid of the toilet seat collar and switched to the gold nameplates) I'm SD born and raised and just moved to Denver, and even Broncos fans regard our Uni's as one of the best. That says a lot.

New-Chargers-Uniforms-1.jpg

I'm a die hard charger fan and I honestly think that our current uniforms are our best to date. Im talking about the 2013 Nike redesign of the reebok 2007 update. Let me get this straight, alot of you guys think this is the worst uniform in the NFL? Ridiculous. People often regard this as the BEST in the NFL. The uniforms even got betterthis year (since they got rid of the toilet seat collar and switched to the gold nameplates) I'm SD born and raised and just moved to Denver, and even Broncos fans regard our Uni's as one of the best. That says a lot.

Bottom of the NFL? Not by a long shot. The league's best? Not by a ways. The shoulder bolts look backwards while the pant bolts are far too wavy and short. The light blue and yellow blend to green. That of course leads to the Spanos' ever-blissfully-oblivious quest to keep their stamp on the team, i.e., navy as the primary color, fan opinions be damned. IIRC this set was made with powder blue as the primary color, but the Spanos got cold feet at the last second and stuck with navy.

As is, middle of the pack. Could be much worse (see: Jaguars, Buccaneers), but could be cleaned up alongside a return to powder blue as the primary color. Those changes made, then I'd put them in the top 10.

2015. What are your thoughts?chargers1-590x900.jpgchargers2-590x900.jpgJesseAlkire_SanDiegoChargers_pants.jpg

Make that helmet blue and add outlines to the logo, bolts, and numbers and that's a nice update to the Fouts-era look.

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

Actually, I prefer the simplicity of the sans-outline look, myself. Much cleaner, less clutter.

Not entirely the biggest fan of that particular number font, but if that took field in 2015 I'd have no qualms with it--especially with bringing back the yellow pants.

*Disclaimer: I am not an authoritative expert on stuff...I just do a lot of reading and research and keep in close connect with a bunch of people who are authoritative experts on stuff. 😁

|| dribbble || Behance ||

I agree that they are some of the worst(maybe not THE worst) in the league. They look like middle school colors. Why on earth don't they go full powder blue with yellow pants? What's stopping them? Beautiful drawing I came across:

dan-fouts-color.jpg

They arent the worst in the NFL but they are definitely the worst in their history. They used all the colors and designs that the chargers have ever used to try to please everyone and ended up pleasing nobody. Its hard to pick a best look because some people like the powder blue and others like the navy, I feel more like the powder blue though

2015. What are your thoughts?chargers1-590x900.jpgchargers2-590x900.jpgJesseAlkire_SanDiegoChargers_pants.jpg

to me this is not very uniform again because they is no blue on the helmet. If you went blue helmet this would be OK. I would want outlines on the numbers though.

I like their current though at least the powder blue ones.

Worst in the NFL. I just...wow.

Whether or not you like the current set, they look professional and consistent. Look around the rest of the league. Seriously?

Only in a world where plaid pants and paisley shirts look good together are they even remotely worst, even if judged by the harshest Bolt-hater.

Whether or not you like the current set, they look professional and consistent. Look around the rest of the league. Seriously?

Only in a world where plaid pants and paisley shirts look good together are they even remotely worst, even if judged by the harshest Bolt-hater.

The previous set was perfectly consistent. The current? Not quite. I've always loved the chargers entire identity but this redesign ruined everything for me. What was once beautiful consistency is now a cluttered mess. Trying to be all things to their fans they ended up with nothing.

There have been some really good concepts that are miles ahead of what they wear now but as far as I'm concerned they have 2 options:

• Back to the previous set. Attempt a light blue alt like the pats did with the silver but do not add any light blue to the rest of the set.
  • Back to the original uni set/colors (the deeper light blue) and update. Consider removing the helmet numbers and swap out the gray mask. Consider adding light blue or yellow alt pants.

To me those are the only 2 real options you either have to pick the 60's AFL nostalgia or go with the Seau era. Both of those looks are embedded in the minds of the fan base and anything else will result in failure.

In their entire history, the Chargers never looked bad; until now. All of their uniforms ranged between really good and perfect. Their current set has potential, but as it stands right now, it's one notch above Bengals/Cardinals/Vikings territory in my book.

If I had to pick one, this set is probably my favorite Chargers look although I really like the powder blue throwbacks too. Hell, I liked all of their looks before their current set.

dan_fouts_1987_11_01.jpg

The dark helmet looks so much better than the white helmet with the dark blue jersey.

Hate to bump this up; but this is their best look. Just put in that helmet (with the current bolt colors) into the current uniform and voila, you got a solid look. :)

UBwef0L.png

The previous set was perfectly consistent. The current? Not quite. I've always loved the chargers entire identity but this redesign ruined everything for me. What was once beautiful consistency is now a cluttered mess. Trying to be all things to their fans they ended up with nothing.

That's pretty much the size of it. The new ones are a lukewarm mess.

I subsequently posted in this thread that I overstated my case in saying they are the worse. I think the use of navy with the light blue highlights looks bad. White helmets look best with the powder blue jerseys. The dark jerseys look better with dark helmets. The combining of features from multiple eras just doesn't work IMO.

"Of course, that's just my opinion. I could be wrong." Dennis Miller

I am guessing this thread came out BEFORE the new Tampa Uniforms hit the streets.

Its a good tie between Jaguars, Buccaneers and Seahawks IMO... not the Bolts.

chris_creamer_siggy.png

Please do not fool yourself, the Buccaneers jersey is conceptually and creatively an abomination. Read the "FANFARE" Here...

I like the current set, and also loved the Seau era 88-06 Uni's. Truth be told though, I was ecstatic when they updated the bolt logo from White to yellow. Ever since I was a kid, the "Arched" bolt logo looked like a jagged nail clipping to me. I hope I didn't ruin it for everyone else, but that how it always looked lol.

Did no one get excited when the current set's debut in action was the 2007 Shawne Merriman/Stephen Jackson "Leave Nothing" Commercial? I thought it was was one of the most badass commercials and got me HYPED for the current set.

When I saw this thread bumped, I assumed it was going to be about the Jags and Bucs uniforms.

Those concepts above would be fine, and better than what they have. I'd like some white or yellow on the socks, whichever isn't the main pants color at the time. Yellow names on white jerseys with no outline... won't fly. Other than those minor things, looks good.

The Chargers major problem are the navy pants and the garishly huge white stripe on the side.

They had it right when they had the lightning bolt down the side of the navy pants with their previous set.

They ought to just s-can the navy pants altogether. They are terrible.

Wear the white pants with the navy jerseys. Introduce yellow pants and wear them with the white jerseys. Change the stripe on both pairs of britches back to the lightening bolt (from the previous navy pants in the old set). Also wear all white more often. With the white helmet, it looks right.

I would have never gone to a white helmet anyway, but I guess they are stuck with that.

The Super Chargers aren't the worst. But they are far from the best either. Mainly because of those navy pants, which ruin their look for half of the season.

Archived