Mitch B

SD Chargers: Worst Uniforms in the NFL IMHO

Maybe this belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but the Chargers have never looked good in yellow/gold pants.

Maybe this belongs in the Unpopular Opinions thread, but the Chargers have never looked good in yellow/gold pants.

I think it can work for the 1974-87 set because the bolt on the navy helmet is yellow and really pops out and the yellow facemask, but only as an alternate look and not used for every game.

Sigh, really? I was talking about THIS combo, which was the entire point of the argument to begin with.

LT.png

In principle I agree that white over color over another color is a bad idea, I have to admit that the Chargers' white helmet - light blue jersey - gold pants was kind of a guilty pleasure for me. (Keep in mind the above pic never actually happened.)

Another team that broke this rule and pulled it off was the USFL's Breakers... white over light blue over silver. Awesome uniform. Maybe its the light blue?

No, wait... it can't be the light blue. The Titans look like complete garbage.

Maybe it's just nostalgia since these were the years I became forever a Charger fan but I'd say these were second only to the powder blue throwbacks.

chargers.jpg

Those pants might work with a white helmet and a powder blue jersey.

NO. That didn't work when they did it in the 60's and 70's and it won't work now. It's unbalanced and unprofessional. Yellow pants with yellow helmet? Fine. White pants with white helmet? Fine. Blue helmet with blue jersey and yellow pants? Fine. Yellow pants with blue jersey and white helmet? Awful.

No, it does work for the same reasons the yellow pants work for the Steelers when they wear their white jersey, the red pants work for the Texans when they wear their white jersey, and etc. It looks good. You can have 3 different colors and pull it off. Stop pretending there are rules.

McCarthy is SO right on this one. I generally hate it when teams go with three different colors for their uniform elements, but there are exceptions. The reason some of the ones you mentioned work is because the helmet is the darkest element of the uniform. Any time you go with three separate colors and the helmet is the lightest element, it's going to look like crap. I've NEVER seen an exception to that rule. That Chargers combo looks terrible.

lol, what you said contradicts your argument because that Chargers helmet IS the darkest element.

Um, except for the most critical part of this argument, and the whole part of McCarthy's point, where it was stated that "Those pants might work with a white helmet and a powder blue jersey."

No, you stated all of that then said (the one pictured above) "that Chargers combo looks terrible" when it fits everything you said you need to make it work.

He stated all of that in reference to the white helmet-blue jersey -yellow pants look that was edited out of my post. His point stands, is not contradictory because he was not talking about the blue helmet blue jersey yellow pants look.

Look at the Titans for an example of a uniform where the pants, helmet, and jersey are different colors. It's messy uniform where a white helmet is the top element. If the Titans wore navy helmets, light blue jerseys and white pants, it'd look fine maybe even good, but the way they've chosen to apply their colors looks awful. The same would be true of the Chargers in blue jerseys, yellow pants, and white helmets.

LT.png

I, for one, happen to love the idea of this setup, simply because it is so unique. Oh sure, most loathe it since you got three different colors, of which the helmet is the lightest—but that's because people just ain't used to seeing it. So what the helmet doesn't match the [base color of the] jersey or pants—who said they absolutely had to 100% of the time? Every now and then it's ok to "break out the box"...and I'd love it if the Chargers somehow found it in them to create a modern-day spin on this.

Oh...and I think the other reason this works is because all the colors are fairly light. The Titans on the other hand...ick.

LT.png

I, for one, happen to love the idea of this setup, simply because it is so unique. Oh sure, most loathe it since you got three different colors, of which the helmet is the lightest—but that's because people just ain't used to seeing it. So what the helmet doesn't match the [base color of the] jersey or pants—who said they absolutely had to 100% of the time? Every now and then it's ok to "break out the box"...and I'd love it if the Chargers somehow found it in them to create a modern-day spin on this.

Oh...and I think the other reason this works is because all the colors are fairly light. The Titans on the other hand...ick.

Would love to see this but with a "volt" yellow and slightly more electric blue. Kind of a very slightly Oregon influenced update to the Charger classic.

chargersvolt.jpg

Sigh, really? I was talking about THIS combo, which was the entire point of the argument to begin with.

LT.png

How is that not a good combo? White/blue/yellow/blue/white. It flows well and gives each color prominent placement in the uniform. It just works.

This is the near-perfect Chargers look:

johnny_2bunitas_2bin_2bchargers_2buniform.jpg

Just needs a powder blue facemask and a bolt on the pants.

You think the Cowboys have the worst uniforms in the league.... you think the OLD Cardinals logo is better than the update.... and you think these are near perfect for the Chargers?

Really?

0.jpg

I hate most of LightsOut's opinions. No offense dude, but I don't agree with many of your uniform preferences, except maybe your dislike for the Cowboys' set, even thought I don't think it's the VERY worst.

The Yellow pants look very outdated. Maybe if it wasn't a brown mustard shade of yellow, and more like a bright yellow (a la USC's yellow).

I took McCarthy's offering and added some crude powder blue outlines to all the bolts:

LT.png

In their entire history, the Chargers never looked bad; until now. All of their uniforms ranged between really good and perfect. Their current set has potential, but as it stands right now, it's one notch above Bengals/Cardinals/Vikings territory in my book.

If I had to pick one, this set is probably my favorite Chargers look although I really like the powder blue throwbacks too. Hell, I liked all of their looks before their current set.

dan_fouts_1987_11_01.jpg

Jim Lachey sighting. This is my favorite Chargers uniform as well.

Mine as well. It's got everything that made the last set great while also making it pop a bit more by giving gold a more prominent role in the scheme.

Wasn't there a year where they wore this same uniform, but the numbers were yellow instead of white? I could have sworn they did. Those were my favorite.

(Seems like there was a photo of Lionel James somewhere that had this uniform)

In their entire history, the Chargers never looked bad; until now. All of their uniforms ranged between really good and perfect. Their current set has potential, but as it stands right now, it's one notch above Bengals/Cardinals/Vikings territory in my book.

If I had to pick one, this set is probably my favorite Chargers look although I really like the powder blue throwbacks too. Hell, I liked all of their looks before their current set.

dan_fouts_1987_11_01.jpg

Jim Lachey sighting. This is my favorite Chargers uniform as well. #2 is the Junior Seau era, #3 is the powder blue throwbacks, #4 is the Freezer Bowl era uniforms, #5 is anything before now, and the worst is what they currently wear. The current set is a complete mess.

*Shameless Plug*

scan0001.jpg

Slight Modernization I did of their 80s uniforms a few month ago.

I wouldn't mind if they went that direction. If they wanted to add more yellow this is the way to do it.

BTW, do you have this template in raster? Sorry, I only have paint.

Template? Oh this is hand-drawn. B) But I do have a blank version. But anyway, the Chargers need to overhaul the organization. New coach, new uniforms. Their look is depressing.

No, pecan pie is the third best pie in the world, behind #2 pumpkin and #1 Apple pie.

'Murica

I disagree, Putang Pie is the best.

I added some crude blue outlines to the bolts on Hawk's version:

chargersvoltwblueoutlines.jpg

I am with you I dont like the yellow Redskins pants either.

It is just a bit too much for me.

Personally, I like the bright yellow-gold that the Chargers (and Rams) used to wear, even with white helmets. I'm happy that Washington brought back the yellow pants. From what I can tell, the consensus nowadays seems to be that such bright colors look better on college teams, and that the NFL is better suited to more muted shades.

No, pecan pie is the third best pie in the world, behind #2 pumpkin and #1 Apple pie.

'Murica

Ugh. You young ones need some discretion.

Apple pie is so overrated. Pumpkin pie is the real American pie. It goes with Thanksgiving, the American holiday. It's earthy, it's spicy, it's perfect. Pecan pie is awesome, too. It's just...dessert in its purest form, I dunno, man.

'Murica

Ugh. You young ones need some discretion.

True story, when I was 15 my mom asked me what pie i wanted for thanksgiving.

She promptly went to every person in Winn Dixie and publix until someone didn't laugh and told her what it was.

My ass was red that day. But it was every bit worth it. I still laugh to this day.