2013 NFL Off-Season Thread

Island_Style

• Replies 1.8k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Here's my question to someone with a little legal know-how... if it turns out this suspension is just for marijuana (though rumors I've heard say something about weed and amphetamines), does the NFL have a leg to stand on? The substance abuse policy bans the "illegal use" of marijuana -- and since marijuana use is legal in Colorado, he wouldn't have technically "illegally" used it. So how would that work?

As it is, I'm not too worried about this. It's just four games to begin the season -- would've been nice to have him vs. Baltimore, though.

IUe6Hvh.png

Here's my question to someone with a little legal know-how... if it turns out this suspension is just for marijuana (though rumors I've heard say something about weed and amphetamines), does the NFL have a leg to stand on? The substance abuse policy bans the "illegal use" of marijuana -- and since marijuana use is legal in Colorado, he wouldn't have technically "illegally" used it. So how would that work?

As it is, I'm not too worried about this. It's just four games to begin the season -- would've been nice to have him vs. Baltimore, though.

I think Miller is screwed because it is still a federal law. You can still get arrested for pot in Washington and Colorado if the Feds are involved.

I doubt legality enters into it. Plenty of performance-enhancing drugs are legal but if a substance is banned by the league then that means it's in the CBA and they can enforce a suspension.

But the NFL specifically only bans the "illegal use of marijuana." That's literally how the substance abuse policy reads.

Island, that's pretty interesting. I didn't realize that.

IUe6Hvh.png

So what's the largest amount of money you ever lost through a mistake or omission on your part? I'm willing to bet that 49ers cornerback Tarell Brown still has you beat.

Yeah, somehow he didn't realize he'd signed a contract that made part of his $2.9 million salary this season contingent on his attending voluntary off-season workouts. He skipped them and worked out on his own.

So how much did he forfeit? Enough to buy about 20 of these at the $98,000 sticker price...with change left over.

2013-porsche-911-carrera-4-4s-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-485437-s-429x262.jpg

Yeah...he lost two million bucks.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

So what's the largest amount of money you ever lost through a mistake or omission on your part? I'm willing to bet that 49ers cornerback Tarell Brown still has you beat.

Yeah, somehow he didn't realize he'd signed a contract that made part of his $2.9 million salary this season contingent on his attending voluntary off-season workouts. He skipped them and worked out on his own.

So how much did he forfeit? Enough to buy about 20 of these at the $98,000 sticker price...with change left over.

2013-porsche-911-carrera-4-4s-first-drive-review-car-and-driver-photo-485437-s-429x262.jpg

In addition to losing whatever percentage of the commission on that two million bucks, his agent isn't likely going to be representing Tarrell Brown anymore. Tough day for that guy too.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I think Miller is screwed because it is still a federal law. You can still get arrested for pot in Washington and Colorado if the Feds are involved.

Not only that, but city and county law, too. You are way more likely to get arrested by a city officer than get involved in a federal investigation. Miller is screwed though, hopefully someone will step up and fill his role, because the Denver defense is terrible when they can't apply pressure.

Not only that, but city and county law, too. You are way more likely to get arrested by a city officer than get involved in a federal investigation. Miller is screwed though, hopefully someone will step up and fill his role, because the Denver defense is terrible when they can't apply pressure.

But I believe the NFL has said in the past that they won't necessarily wait for criminal proceedings to happen. Simply knowing that he did it, and it is against a federal law may be enough.

I heard Jay Cutler's first pass of training camp was an interception. I know it's a harbinger of absolutely nothing, but lol all the same. I don't know if I can deal with wall-to-wall coverage of this team. They're gonna be so bad, like 2-14-and-most-of-the-games-aren't-even-close bad.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

In addition to losing whatever percentage of the commission on that two million bucks, his agent isn't likely going to be representing Tarrell Brown anymore. Tough day for that guy too.

True, but grownups have a responsibility to know what they're signing, especially when it involves that kind of money. You would think a player would have the patience to go through the contract item by item to be sure they understand.

92512B20-6264-4E6C-AAF2-7A1D44E9958B-481-00000047E259721F.jpeg

I heard Jay Cutler's first pass of training camp was an interception. I know it's a harbinger of absolutely nothing, but lol all the same. I don't know if I can deal with wall-to-wall coverage of this team. They're gonna be so bad, like 2-14-and-most-of-the-games-aren't-even-close bad.

why? they were 10-6 last year and upgraded most positions.

I'm not surprised in was an interception considering they have 2 of the best corners in the game last year and some pretty good safeties.

Not this time. The Bears are being run by a blithering idiot who speaks only in insipid corporate jargon and coached by a weirdo who couldn't find work in this league for eight years. I expect crap magic.

β™« oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is goneΒ β™«

Archived