2013 AHL HOCKEY THREAD

LETSGOBLUEBEATMSU

I'm so glad the "Hey, iron-ons and screenprinting are cheaper!" era in pro hockey was fairly short-lived. It hurts a little to see highlights of the Stastny brothers working their magic in beat-to-hell rec-league sweaters.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 71
  • Created
  • Last Reply
it's official NHL canon that Milwaukee is part of the Blackhawks market.

I don't think this is true anymore, if it ever was beyond Bill Wirtz being a dickhead about expanding there. All of Wisconsin seems to be considered the Wild's territory now.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, hockey is notoriously murky when it comes to even recent history, but I know HockeyDB is widely regarded as reliable, 1998-ish web design notwithstanding. I think they were a "secondary" affiliate because the Nords would've had their primary affiliation closer to home in the AHL: Halifax, I want to say. As for why they had FDLs on their sweaters, then, I dunno, Milwaukee has French heritage, and minor league teams bought existing sweater templates in bulk, maybe?

You'd be far more likely to see German or Polish iconography if that were really the case.

HockeyDB might well be usually reliable, but I think they're wrong on this one; the Ads were a primary Nordique farm club.

And for the sake of curiosity, here are those sweaters:

270.jpg

I loved those. My first memories of Admirals games feature those sweaters. Or, more precisely, these:

80-81.jpg

http://www.hockeydb....nt.php?tmi=7584

Maybe they were affiliates of equal standing and Fredericton got the nod as primary because it was closer? I don't know, I wasn't really around to keep a close watch on the Quebec Nordiques' developmental system.

Equal standing? I don't know, but I do know that there was a steady stream of players between Milwaukee and Quebec City.

Incidentally, the Nordiques themselves started wearing the fleur-de-lis a couple years earlier, as part of a sponsorship agreement with the Quebec tourism bureau.

it's official NHL canon that Milwaukee is part of the Blackhawks market.

I don't think this is true anymore, if it ever was beyond Bill Wirtz being a dickhead about expanding there. All of Wisconsin seems to be considered the Wild's territory now.

The NHL might look at it that way, but that's just not reality... the Wings rule Green Bay/NE Wisconsin and Kenosha is Hawks country. The Wild's perpetual suckage has prevented them from cultivating fans in Wisconsin outside of the St. Paul exurbs in the far western part of the state. The rest of SE Wisconsin (including Milwaukee) has been pretty much up for grabs ever since that rat bastard Wirtz pulled his stunt and the North Stars moved to Dallas.

EDIT: Goth, how are you posting links like that on the new layout?

That's interesting about the tourism bureau. I didn't know that. I do know that Nordiques fandom was associated with Quebec nationalism and/or separatism while liking the Canadiens was more pluralist and moderate. Ironically, this meant that Nords fans could safely embrace (non-Lindros) anglophones and allophones because there was never any doubt as to the intrinsic Frenchness of the whole enterprise, whereas we just saw last year how itchy everyone got in Habsland when the coach only spoke English.

Retournez :(

Yeah, it's a fascinating story.

The FdL became so associated with the Nordiques that they continued to use it after the Tourism Department deal expired. It was even on the shoulders of their never-to-be-used Husky rebranding.

EDIT: Goth, how are you posting links like that on the new layout?

Manually typing them, using brackets. URL="link" then text then /URL.

http://www.hockeydb....nt.php?tmi=7584

Maybe they were affiliates of equal standing and Fredericton got the nod as primary because it was closer? I don't know, I wasn't really around to keep a close watch on the Quebec Nordiques' developmental system.

Okay, I can't tell you about Fredericton, but I can tell you that the HockeyDB page is fallible; the Ads signed their contract with the Nordiques beginning with the 1979-1980 season, not 1980-81 as HockeyDB has it.

http://news.google.com/newspapers?id=PIRRAAAAIBAJ&sjid=BBIEAAAAIBAJ&pg=5148,4871649&dq

I imagine they were auctioned off for charity the night of the game, as is the case with most one-off minor league sweaters.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I went to the Admirals game tonight, and I highly recommend the experience for anyone with the means of getting to the Bradley Center. It's a wonderful rink, the game presentation is excellent, the atmosphere is good (even though there were only 3,685 on hand, since the game was scheduled the same time as the Packers'.) And - my God - the beer.

Also gleaned from my trip to the Bradley Center: the Bucks are damn desperate to get butts in seats. Select weekend games offer 4 tickets, 4 sodas, and 4 food vouchers (hot dog, bratwurst, or nachos) for $69. That's cheaper than a Wolves game.

Speaking of the Wolves, they drew a shade over 15,000 for Saturday night's game. Guess with the Bears done and the Bulls fairly uninteresting, folks are thinking hockey again.

I'm honestly put off by the Admirals' current identity and its lack of respect for their legitimately proud history. I can't take them seriously if they're not in some form of blue and red.

Shame, because you missed out on Retro Toque Night.

adstoque_zps0ed2424f.jpg

Also, these guys don't seem to have an issue with showing up to games despite the identity, and I venture to guess they've seen more of the Admirals' Proud History Of Losing In The First Round Almost Every Year than you have.

admiriques_zpseef6542c.jpg

:censored: the AHL.

I feel the same way after the Iowa Chops left town to become the Texas Stars... I wish Des Moines would get another chance in the AHL (preferrably without Calgary getting anywhere near it... I know what they did to Omaha and the Quad Cities)

dude they used the team as collateral to get a $2 million loan. that was strictly against AHL rules, of course they got the team taken away

That being said, I have Toby Petersen's game-used Iowa Stars gloves and socks.

And Milwaukee crew: I got to see the Ads win the Calder Cup in person! Too bad I was rooting for Wilkes-Barre :(

1zgyd8w.jpg

Archived