Name that Team

KJTALBOT

As far as racetracks, I know that in general it's a give-in that they're never in the city they're named for (unless its some hick town like Bristol or Talladega) there's ways around that too. Isn't the one around Detroit called Michigan Motor Speedway?

Actually, it's Michigan International Speedway. Also, MIS is nowhere near Detroit. It's in Brooklyn, MI, which is nothing more than a village next to the track. When MIS was owned by Penske (is it still?), it became associated with my hometown of Jackson, a short distance from Brooklyn. All the drivers fly into and stay in Jackson, for the most part.

Just some general info I thought I'd throw out there.

I voted for Sentinels. Alot of people on "The Slot" http://hockeyattitude.ipbhost.com/index.php?showforum=43 which is a WHA message board voted for it too. I think Demons is a terrible name! :puke:

Like the guy on those boards, I suggested "Sentinels" as a name. I've switched my allegance to "Cougars" just because I think it has a better chance of catching and passing "Demons".

The Phoenix Cardinals became the Arizona Cardinals once they realized they'd be staying at Sun Devil Stadium for longer than expected.  The D-Backs decided on the Arizona moniker too once they realized their home would be built in Glendale.  We also have Florida Panthers for that reason (not quite in Miami).

Just to clarify...

The Cardinals changed to "Arizona" because of the fact that other Arizona residents resented the fact that they represented Phoenix instead of the whole state. There seems to be a unique situation in the Phoenix area - each suburb wants its own identity. They hate being lumped into the whole Phoenix area. And, this is why the Diamondbacks use "Arizona" as well (they're in downtown Phoenix, not Glendale). Don't know why there hasn't been a push for the Coyotes to change (THEY'RE the ones in Glendale, along with the Cardinals in 2006).

The Florida Panthers are named after the endangered species the Florida Panther.

Thanks for the clarification... obviously got my teams & locations mixed up.

I thought I read something about the Panthers not playing in Miami and the residents of the neighboring county where they play being upset when a name change was proposed.

But there's still more precedent. The Patriots became the New England Patritots once they moved to Foxboro. And it's still no dispute over why we had "California Angels."

And what about the USFL? The Michigan Panthers played at the dome and chose not to call themselves Detroit. Even going back to Arizona, the Wranglers and Outlaws both called themselves by the state rather than the city... I doubt a push by the non-city residents was behind that.

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

As far as racetracks, I know that in general it's a give-in that they're never in the city they're named for (unless its some hick town like Bristol or Talladega) there's ways around that too.  Isn't the one around Detroit called Michigan Motor Speedway?

Actually, it's Michigan International Speedway. Also, MIS is nowhere near Detroit. It's in Brooklyn, MI, which is nothing more than a village next to the track. When MIS was owned by Penske (is it still?), it became associated with my hometown of Jackson, a short distance from Brooklyn. All the drivers fly into and stay in Jackson, for the most part.

Just some general info I thought I'd throw out there.

Eh... shows how much I know about racing, huh?

snappers_sig.gif

Dubya's thoughts on "terrorist" nations: "They never stop thinking of new ways to harm our country and our people, and neither do we."

And what about the USFL? The Michigan Panthers played at the dome and chose not to call themselves Detroit. Even going back to Arizona, the Wranglers and Outlaws both called themselves by the state rather than the city... I doubt a push by the non-city residents was behind that.

The USFL was interesting in that all teams WERE location-named "correctly" (i.e., no teams named "New York" playing in New Jersey, no team named "Detroit" playing in suburban Pontiac, etc.). I think this was the league's original naming policy.

However, there was ONE exception.

So, who can name the ONLY USFL team that played their home games in an incorrectly-named location? 5 points to first correct answer.

:grin:

It is what it is.

However, there was ONE exception.

So, who can name the ONLY USFL team that played their home games in an incorrectly-named location? 5 points to first correct answer.

:grin:

The Baltimore Stars played at the University of Maryland.

PFlava is correct and wins the 5 points. The "Baltimore" Stars played home games at the University of Maryland's stadium in College Park, MD-- actually closer to DC than Baltimore.

All other city-named teams played in their "official" city, and the state/region names were also correct: Arizona Wranglers and Outlaws played in Tempe, Michigan Panthers played in Pontic Silverdome, New Jersey Generals played at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands, the Oklahoma Outlaws played in Skelly Stadium in Tulsa, and the Tampa Bay Bandits played in Tampa Stadium (the big sombrero, now gone).

Good work, Pflava!!

It is what it is.

PFlava is correct and wins the 5 points. The "Baltimore" Stars played home games at the University of Maryland's stadium in College Park, MD-- actually closer to DC than Baltimore.

All other city-named teams played in their "official" city, and the state/region names were also correct: Arizona Wranglers and Outlaws played in Tempe, Michigan Panthers played in Pontic Silverdome, New Jersey Generals played at Giants Stadium in the Meadowlands, the Oklahoma Outlaws played in Skelly Stadium in Tulsa, and the Tampa Bay Bandits played in Tampa Stadium (the big sombrero, now gone).

Good work, Pflava!!

I still chuckle when I think of your 'Florida HOT!' story... and then your accompanying logo there in your avatar.

twitter_zps93c9c8f9.png @josh_j12 smbelt_zps438edf04.png

CFA- Fargo Bobcats

All other city-named teams played in their "official" city, and the state/region names were also correct: . . . . the Tampa Bay Bandits played in Tampa Stadium (the big sombrero, now gone).

The Tampa Bay Bandits did not play in Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay is a body of water, not a city.

Just had to throw that in. :P

All other city-named teams played in their "official" city, and the state/region names were also correct:  . . . . the Tampa Bay Bandits played in Tampa Stadium (the big sombrero, now gone).

The Tampa Bay Bandits did not play in Tampa Bay - Tampa Bay is a body of water, not a city.

Just had to throw that in. :P

IIRC, Tampa Bay is also an all-inclusive name for the Tampa-St. Pete area. Kind of like "Chicagoland" or Hampton Roads in Virginia.

snappers_sig.gif

Interesting development... The Senticore website is now just a GoDaddy "This domain is parked" page. I looked around in the Whois listings and the domain for the email address of the registered contact for senticore.com is also parked at GoDaddy. Their hosting provider seems to be up and running, so it's not that.

I wonder what's up.

ABAsite, you're Crusadersfan over at those boards you linked to upthread, right? Just checking.

"Spanky" over there has finally caught on to my theory about the Detroit contest being rigged. He also uncovered that the Dallas team will likely be the "Dallas Americans" 'cause dallasamericans.com appears to be the only domain registered by the owner of the Dallas team.

Archived