2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

If Bauer can change the crappy uniforms of Colorado,Calgary,Pittsburgh,San Jose, Ottawa, Minnesota's red one and keep the other good designs, then why not ?

Believe it or not, I share this sentiment ;)

To clarify, I think Bauer getting the uniforms would be great just as long as theres the option to translate the existing edge design intact. Boston and Dallas for example should never change again.

Elements of those two designs existed pre Reebok, so i don't see why not

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Bauer is definitely gearing up to bid for the NHL uniform supplier title.

They recently bought Inaria International, a textiles and apparel manufacturer at the end of 2012:
http://www.marketwired.com/press-release/Ten-Years-of-Ice-on-Whyte-Wows-in-Canadas-Festival-City-1711142.htm

I was excited when I heard this news back then, and after seeing the Bauer practice uniforms on the ice during last week's OD1N video presentation, I grew even more excited.

5amlwx.jpg

So is there anyone good that can supply the NHL? I mean, with all the dumb :censored: Reebok's pulled and the collective disaster that is Nike's Olympic effort, I don't know.

They're all the same. Bauer may be different because they're not in the sportswear business the way Nike, UA, and RBK are, but that could change if they get the uni contract (I'd asssume that would give them exclusive rights to market shirts, hoodies, and anything else that has licensed logos (other than maybe caps.))

People pined for Nike in NFL, then hated Nike. People want UA then hate UA. People want adidas then hate what adidas does.

What it takes is a strong league making a contract that states specifcally what the supplier's role is, and what their limits are. Don't sign over creative control, don't sign that you'll use the supplier's in-house designers, don't sign anything that could lead down the wrong path. The NHL is far, far, far, from a strong league.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

So is there anyone good that can supply the NHL? I mean, with all the dumb :censored: Reebok's pulled and the collective disaster that is Nike's Olympic effort, I don't know.

They're all the same. Bauer may be different because they're not in the sportswear business the way Nike, UA, and RBK are, but that could change if they get the uni contract (I'd asssume that would give them exclusive rights to market shirts, hoodies, and anything else that has licensed logos (other than maybe caps.))

People pined for Nike in NFL, then hated Nike. People want UA then hate UA. People want adidas then hate what adidas does.

What it takes is a strong league making a contract that states specifcally what the supplier's role is, and what their limits are. Don't sign over creative control, don't sign that you'll use the supplier's in-house designers, don't sign anything that could lead down the wrong path. The NHL is far, far, far, from a strong league.

It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, they only design what the client asks for. If a designer, in house or whatever designs something that the client doesn't like, the client can deny it. All the bad designs aren't the fault of the manufacturers, but rather the teams/schools that agree to them. As a designer, you sit there and say, "Here's an idea". There have been times where as a designer, your told to design something hideous so that the client will pick something you think is really good, but then the client likes the hideous thing. It's happened to me, and when your higher up tells you to design something hideous and the client accepts it, you question your higher up. But honestly, bad design on the field/ice is the fault of the team/school, 100%. If you don't believe me, then why are teams like Montreal, Chicago, and the Rangers able to keep their now iconic looks? Because they said, "No" to everything else. Teams are allowed to say, "No". It's actually a word in the dictionary. And if you don't believe that teams have a say so in the design, look at the Stadium Series uniforms that were designed for Chicago and notice how that looks like Chicago and feels like Chicago, and yet it was designed in less time than the Islanders crappy 3rd jerseys and Buffalo's crappy 3rds. If it's a bad design, it's the team's fault.

It doesn't matter who the manufacturer is, they only design what the client asks for. If a designer, in house or whatever designs something that the client doesn't like, the client can deny it. All the bad designs aren't the fault of the manufacturers, but rather the teams/schools that agree to them. As a designer, you sit there and say, "Here's an idea". There have been times where as a designer, your told to design something hideous so that the client will pick something you think is really good, but then the client likes the hideous thing. It's happened to me, and when your higher up tells you to design something hideous and the client accepts it, you question your higher up. But honestly, bad design on the field/ice is the fault of the team/school, 100%. If you don't believe me, then why are teams like Montreal, Chicago, and the Rangers able to keep their now iconic looks? Because they said, "No" to everything else. Teams are allowed to say, "No". It's actually a word in the dictionary. And if you don't believe that teams have a say so in the design, look at the Stadium Series uniforms that were designed for Chicago and notice how that looks like Chicago and feels like Chicago, and yet it was designed in less time than the Islanders crappy 3rd jerseys and Buffalo's crappy 3rds. If it's a bad design, it's the team's fault.

This. 100x's this.

OttawaSenators.png

i have a feeling the stars uniforms were as good as possible under reebok's duck tail template.

put that on a normal shaped traditional template from bauer, and i don't care what the rest of the league wears :)

Agree. But at the same time, the manufacturer may be wrong too. Just take Dallas,Calgary or Colorado, they would've kept their pre-edge design but Reebok tld them they couldn't so they had to take a new design. But they could've taken some better designs for sure so sometimes, it's 50/50 too but at 85% of the times, it is the staff's fault i give you that

I fail to see how Calgary's pre-Edge design couldn't have gone onto the Edge jerseys. It's not like there weren't any non-horizontal stripe designs that carried over to the Edge template.

That was just an excuse to cover for a redesign.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I fail to see how Calgary's pre-Edge design couldn't have gone onto the Edge jerseys. It's not like there weren't any non-horizontal stripe designs that carried over to the Edge template.

Much like "Uh, it's the 100th anniversary of organized hockey in Alberta, you know, give or take" was an excuse to put those silly flags on the shoulders that they're still wearing six seasons later.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Much like "Uh, it's the 100th anniversary of organized hockey in Alberta, you know, give or take" was an excuse to put those silly flags on the shoulders that they're still wearing six seasons later.

Then why not just put those on an Edge-ified version of their old jerseys? God knows they'd look better than the flaming snot logo.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

The Flames organisation just didn't emphasize on the quality of their on-ice look, and gave RBK all the creative freedom they wanted. Look what happened, lol. At least they're fixing things slowly with a good-looking alternate they just released.

Then why not just put those on an Edge-ified version of their old jerseys? God knows they'd look better than the flaming snot logo.

Because the flags are the worst aspect of those jerseys.

Well, yes, but they're still better than the flaming snot logo.

bauer never struck me as the "look at me" type. they're about as "hockey" as you can get, now that CCM is owned by reebok.

they're traditional, stand alone, old-time hockey. even their player equipment and goal equipment isn't as "look at me" as the other brands. i always wore their stuff growing up for exactly that reason. they're a no-nonsense company, imo. i think they'd do a really good job.

they've been in the business before too, right? i think they manufactured some IHL/AHL sweaters back in the day, and supplied the predators uniforms at one point too if i'm not mistaken.

Bauer had the AHL for at least the first two or three years the Lowell LockMonsters existed, or at least as long as they were an Islanders affiliate. As soon as they became a Hurricanes affiliate (2001) and redesigned the uniforms, S-P took over most, if not all, of the league.

I remember all those companies having league-wide contracts, at least for primary uniforms. Most of the one-offs were either S-P or OT Sports. I think they still are, with Reebok still making the primary versions.

Back-to-Back Fatal Forty Champion 2015 & 2016

Well, yes, but they're still better than the flaming snot logo.

Anyone else dislike the current number font on the Flames' regular home and away sets? I'd like to see the Flames change to the alternate's number font. Maybe even the NOB as well.

(The #5 as in Giordano's jersey needs some work, though)

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived