2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

St Louis Blues looking at a uniform change...

What I hope it will look like:

rMbUCBe.png

What it probably will look like, judging from recent boring NHL changes:

ES7txgx.png

In fairness, we haven't seen the Stars or Hurricanes full uniform changes yet so you can't say they'll be boring. Only the Lightning have had a boring change.

PvO6ZWJ.png

There's a very simple solution for the Blues: go the route of the Islanders and the Oilers and go back to the only uniform they ever needed:

Blues01.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'm...I'm not seeing it. Where is this black stripe? The breezers, to me, look solid red.

Not that this is a good thing.

I don't see it either. And today's picture doesn't seem to reveal anything.

As far as the comparisons to the Lightning's recent overhaul go... I really didn't like it when the Lightning--a modern team with a modern name in a non-traditional market--decided to blatantly create some sort of faux-traditional look, almost outright xeroxing other teams' identities and throwing away their own unique (once championship) style in the process.

All that said, I think I'd almost prefer my Hurricanes go down this route, instead of creating some odd mishmash of striping patterns, modern logo, "traditional" styles, and modern yet completely boring typeface... all while losing the two elements (warning flags and unique typeface) that set them apart. Which is what I'm now afraid they have done. Whatever the shortcomings of the Lightning's new look, at least they are crisp and clean and make sense.

I just really hope the Canes are being intentionally vague with the photography and all my fears are wrong.

HURRICANES | PANTHERS | WHITE SOX | WOLFPACK

929448ecc79d11e2b39e22000a9d0df1_7-533x533.jpg

Far right side, there's a sleeve stripe. Black, white, red.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

This is the only solution I could see that would make the uniforms rational. The photo from May 25 (with the close up of the black/white/red/white/black) is actually striping from the white sweater, and the photo from May 27 shows the very top of the red sweater's striping pattern on the sock (white/red/black/red/white), so that all you see is the top white stripe and the first bit of the top red stripe. That might give us something like this:

uni_home3.png

uni_road3.png

I still don't like that possibility, but I guess I could live with it for a few seasons, until they realize how badly they screwed up. (All that said, I don't think this is actually correct. Just wishful thinking.)

The good thing is, it's still quite nice. I'm a sucker for anything without piping/aprons/weird length-wise arm stripes. They'll still be among the top in the league.

The bad thing is, they already had a great set (minus the phantom yoke, hated the alternate). Say what you will about the flag striping, but it was unique.

Also- the waving flag logo must stay as a shoulder patch. That thing was awesome. I know it wasn't accurate or whatever, but it was a great logo.

sig.png

This is the only solution I could see that would make the uniforms rational. The photo from May 25 (with the close up of the black/white/red/white/black) is actually striping from the white sweater, and the photo from May 27 shows the very top of the red sweater's striping pattern on the sock (white/red/black/red/white), so that all you see is the top white stripe and the first bit of the top red stripe. That might give us something like this:

uni_home3.png

Great job! Now they're gonna look just like the New Jersey Devils. <_<

The bad thing is, they already had a great set (minus the phantom yoke, hated the alternate). Say what you will about the flag striping, but it was unique.

Also- the waving flag logo must stay as a shoulder patch. That thing was awesome. I know it wasn't accurate or whatever, but it was a great logo.

Couldn't agree more with these three points.

Great job! Now they're gonna look just like the New Jersey Devils. <_<

My first thought too. (They just need to close the stripe gap and switch to black helmets and pants.)

I'm...I'm not seeing it. Where is this black stripe? The breezers, to me, look solid red.

Not that this is a good thing.

I don't see it either. And today's picture doesn't seem to reveal anything.

I see the black he's talking about. Look directly above the glove. There is a black space between the pants and the sleeve. I thought it was the background at first, but the bottom of the picture clearly shows that the black is not part of the background.

I've got a dribbble, check it out if you like my stuff; alternatively, if you hate my stuff, send it to your enemies to punish their insolence!

It would be nice to see the warning flags appear SOMEWHERE...even on the arm instead of the solid stripes there... So it's not overpowering the uniform... Not sure why they disliked that element so much.

They don't dislike it. They know it's popular, but they are the ones in charge and in line to make some more bucks. Which is why they are going with something uncommon just for sake of change, and it probably saves time and money to sew 20 hurricane warning patches across the waist of each jersey. The Hurricanes are victims of corporate identity thieves. So were the Lightning.

The Hurricane squares aren't sewn on, they're sublimated. If anything, it costs like 0.00000017% more. I mean, if this were Nike doing the uniforms, then I'd understand, but there's no way that's why they're changing it.

Re: Blues

tumblr_lumt9tre6P1qzuqec.gif

Their current set is God-awful. Let's see...

Go back to the pre-Edge set and call it a day. Or go all Dallas and switch your colours to navy/royal/silver!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I still don't like that possibility, but I guess I could live with it for a few seasons, until they realize how badly they screwed up. (All that said, I don't think this is actually correct. Just wishful thinking.)

I'm fairly confident the jerseys won't have shoulder yokes. The stitching in the first teaser gives me the impression they will have a stitching pattern similar to LA or Florida.

OttawaSenators.png

The Blues are kind of like the Penguins. Both from the same era, have had a history of beautiful uniforms (for the most part), but are currently wearing 2 of the ugliest, blandest sets in the league, both of which could be SOOO easily fixed.

I think the current Blues uniforms are far from bland. They have a unique color scheme and template that I wouldn't consider boring. Whether they're ugly or not is debatable. I wouldn't call them ugly, but I do think they're the worst uniforms the Blues have worn that don't include red.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

uni_home3.png

uni_road3.png

Looks like a mash-up of the Team Canada 2002 and 2010 jerseys.

GO OILERS-GO BLUE JAYS-GO ESKIMOS-GO COLTS

Archived