2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's nothing visually appealing about the original Lightning jerseys. NOTHING.

In your opinion. Black, Blue, White and silver was an attractive, original colour scheme that suited the name of the team perfectly. The striping was also done very tastefully.

People DID always complain that the Canes jerseys were too busy...be careful what you wish for.

I'll give them this much: at least none of these new jerseys are abominations. They don't hurt the eyes, they aren't the Thrashers' motocross third, at least they look like hockey jerseys.

Like bubble hockey jerseys, but hey, it's better than the original Edge designs.

That said, I really hope Bauer wins the jersey contract.

Wow, did I just defend reebok? i feel dirty...

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

There's nothing visually appealing about the original Lightning jerseys. NOTHING.

In your opinion. Black, Blue, White and silver was an attractive, original colour scheme that suited the name of the team perfectly. The striping was also done very tastefully.

It's an attractive, original color scheme that was utilized horribly. Their current alternates do a great job of utilizing the color scheme but are ruined by the Bolts script. The original jerseys were boring and featured a bad logo.

And there's no reason to call out Reebok, these were designed in house. We would've gotten the same results if there was a different manufacturer.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

Watching a "Behind the Scenes" video for the Hurricane's new jerseys, and here are some lines that we've heard before. I'll break down each quote of merit (don't sue me, Ice_Cap :P) :

We wanted to clean the jersey up.

What was there to clean up? The Hurricanes' jerseys were very near the perfect balance between traditional and modern as you could get. No wacky piping/stripes and yet something you could look at and recognize instantly.

We wanted to remove the warning flag from the waistline.

Again, why? It set you apart from the other teams in the league

We looked at other teams around the league.

For the sake of comparison and how you'd fit in is all right, but you shouldn't be looking to other teams for inspiration, which appears to be the case here.

For as long as you have had the same jersey...it was time for a change.

Change for change's sake.

The Original 6 had a little bit to do...as far as inspiration's concerned.

Because nothing says original and unique than one team looking to an overused trend and yelling, "Me too!"

The away jersey has an extra color in it.

Why can't the home jersey have said extra color (Black) in it for better symmetry?

These new jerseys offer something for everyone.

Tell that to the lukewarm reception and fans' general reaction on social media.

Removing the warning flags from the jerseys and putting them in the collar is a subtle way acknowledge their history.

Kind of hard to call it subtle if the only time you can see said flags is when no one is wearing them. Also, if you recognize the warning flags' involvement with the Hurricanes' uniform history, why couldn't you have found a better way to incorporate them and "clean up" the jersey (i.e., sublimation)?

The main thing that I want the players to think about is winning our conference and winning the Stanley Cup.

Hasn't that already been done once before in the now-old uniforms?

[The white jersey] will help fans be able to pick us out.

And the old jerseys didn't?

I think I can stomach the white jerseys, but why can't the red jerseys at least be designed somewhat similarly? Did management/marketing ask the fans what they'd like to see? Exactly how long did it take to put this together?

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

From watching the video, we dodged a black nameplate.

There's one positive.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Don't blame Reebok too much... they've gone out of their way in the press conference to emphasize that this was an in-house design process.

Sounds like I nailed it when I said the Hurricanes were just an exercise in self-indulgence for some creepy guy from Michigan.

And frankly, it reflects what happens when you have a committee of amateurs engage in processes that are best left to professional designers.

You should see the amateur they have at GM whose reaction to his team crapping the bed is to give extensions to Tuomo Ruutu and Tim Gleason.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

How has nobody realized this yet?

new-canes-jerseys-590x333.pngdevils-kovalchuk--hockey-nyjpg-8ec86568ae1f0210_large.jpg

with the exception of tiny white spacer stripes, the white is a complete inversion of the Devils' white, right down to the squared yoke

xqefEH.jpg

Anybody knows when Dallas attempts to save this day from being ruined by the above nonsense?

AmPJ0Ty.png 

I'm surprised for all the hate. If this was a super modern design like the Flames, it would be pages of puke smilies. I really don't know what people want any more. If it's super modern it's puke. If it's traditional its 'bland, boring and devoid of personality'.

It's really just one or two tweaks from being a nice classic sweater.

And that's exactly the problem. This could easily, easily, have been just that. Maybe their old look did need simplifying a little bit, but with the red jersey especially they overdid it to the point where it's basically the Red Wings. I've said this already but I feel like that choice was very deliberate. It feels like they have no confidence in the look they've already established for the last 15 years, or even building on that established brand, and are making themselves look like the Red Wings to, presumably, cater to Red Wings fans in the area. It could have been a nice, classic sweater that distinctively belongs to the Carolina Hurricanes, and instead it feels like a cheap knockoff with their logo stamped on it.

The white jersey is pretty close to a distinct, classic look for the Hurricanes, it's not perfect and could be better but it's fairly decent in its own right. But what's infuriating is that the red jersey doesn't even match it.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived