2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I just noticed that the new Stars away sweaters are quite similar to team Italy from D2: The Mighty Ducks. I guess that counts as "classic," right?

Weirdly, the angry Stars fans on Facebook have been saying the whole thing looks like the Mighty Ducks.

Because a D layered on top of a star totally looks like a duck shaped goalie mask.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The draft is two weeks away and according to the Icethetics Jersey Watch and conversely The Reebok catalogue, we still have the following unveilings...

San Jose Sharks: Home and Away

Montreal Canadiens: Home and Away

Minnesota Wild: Road

Buffalo Sabres: Alternate

Calgary Flames: Alternate

The silence is deafening... Anyone heard anything?

Is there a documented reason for why the Canadiens don't wear the mid stripe on their full-time white jerseys? Like a league rule or something (like how BYU couldn't do the bib on their white jerseys?) Seems that with the obvious difference of the lengh of time they've been doing it, they shouldn't be excepted from the "teams shouldn't have different designs for home and away" complaints.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

I know that they have all that tradition with the with the white jersey, but It's so plain and I actually really don't like it.

They should keep it as an alternate, wear it 15 times (half at home because of tradition) and bring back their white with the blue stripe as their full time away.

I used to hate the white habs jersey, and used to have the same opinion, but over time, I've really really come to like it. It's plain, but it has enough color to not be COMPLETELY plain. I'd even venture to say they're less plain than the Leafs whites, something made plainly obvious to me after the edge jerseys. And the logo looks do good there, on it's own, like on a canvas, it really looks its best there.

Plus, think of why they exist: to contrast other red teams. That's why they needed a white jersey to begin with, for when they played Detroit and Detroit didn't want to always wear white. So they made it plain, unmistakable, with just a splash of color so you don't forget who the team is. There's a power to plainness, especially when you're the first ones to do it, and they harness that power.

There's a real classiness to those whites, and I hope they never abandon them.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

I think an argument can be made that "because it's been around a while!" is what governs most people's thoughts. Home and road styles not matching is a near universally panned concept, yet when concept series pop up the old teams are labeled untouchable. Detroit's home and away haven't matched since the early 60s and Chicago has never had a completely matching set. It's interesting to me to see how what one considers good or bad design is no heavily influenced by things not design related at all.

Full disclosure: The white Habs jersey that matches the current red is an amazing jersey that I'd love to see on the ice regularly.

Whe white with blue mid stripe contrasts more vs the red wings than a white with red yoke jersey does.

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

Is there a documented reason for why the Canadiens don't wear the mid stripe on their full-time white jerseys? Like a league rule or something (like how BYU couldn't do the bib on their white jerseys?) Seems that with the obvious difference of the lengh of time they've been doing it, they shouldn't be excepted from the "teams shouldn't have different designs for home and away" complaints.

I think a lot of it has to do with the fact that the Habs have always played around with their white sweaters. They've had four white sweater styles, and only one attempts to match the classic red one. The Canadiens originally viewed their whites as simply a clash kit of sorts, not a standard uniform to be worn on the same terms as their reds. So in that context it works while Minnesota's three sweaters that don't match is just stupid.

The current white sweater's also been around for the better part of a century. As much as you want to say that shouldn't matter it really does.

Also the Red Wings' home and road sweaters actually match. It's just not a simple colour reversal like we're used to.

I'm fine in this case with "it's just been that way for so long", but it seems like once it became a mandated regular uniform, and especially when it became the home uniform, it should have been modified to be more consistent with the look that they've clearly always considered their best.

I always disliked the Habs' white jersey and thought they should switch to the striped version. However, in the last week I flipped on that. Their current white jersey isn't much different than, say, the Stars' new white jersey. I think they'd be better served to make the stripes thicker, and probably add elbow stripes, but the jersey isn't too plain as is.

I think the white version of the striped chest suffers the same problem as Northwestern's current football unis. The stripes work on the home jersey where two dark colors can look close enough to eachother. However, it can't work the same way on the white jersey (unless they made the stripes gray, which isn't a team color). The white striped Canadiens jersey is just too visually jarring to be worn regularly, IMO. Unlike on the red jersey, I think the numbers would get lost in the stripes. While I think the white striped jersey is much, much better looking, I don't think it would work as well on moving players viewed from a distance or on TV.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Archived