2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Most of the highlights in the Ducks' commercials are of players when they're wearing the alternate jerseys, exactly what the Kings did before promoting their thirds to full-time status. Good sign, I guess. They're not perfect but they're better than the current primaries, at least.

I somewhat doubt that. They don't seem like they're going to be switching uniforms anytime soon, since there's been no talk of them switching for next season, which would mean the earliest they would be switching would be in 14-15, which would be kind of late to make the 3rds the primary uniforms. Usually if teams feel like their going to turn the alts into the primaries, they do it shortly after (a couple years) they release the uniforms as the alternate set. The Ducks also aren't really a team that has a history of turning alternates into the primary uniforms, like other teams tend to do. The Kings have done that a few different times.

I think they're just doing all of that promotion to try and sell more jerseys.... I hope I'm right, because the Ducks could do so much better. The current 3rds are pretty bad, with the phantom yoke, the weird side stripes, and that lazy/ugly shoulder logo. They could have a pretty good primary set if they just made the webbed D the crest logo, added a little bit more orange (while keeping the same colors for the most part), and used a better template. I've seen a few concepts that looked pretty good (and I say "few", because there are way too many concepts that try to blend the old uniforms with the new ones, and they just look like complete :censored:).

Talking of the Ducks thirds, they're using that as a uniform template for their high school league's all star game. Or at least, one of the teams playing anyway.

adhshl_zpse59e36bf.png

So now we've got a vague idea of what it'd look like on a standard hockey jersey as opposed to a Reebok Edge one. That or it's yet another sign of things to come for the Ducks in the not-too-distant future.

Also Bunky, what do you think of something like this?

</shamelessplug>

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Am I the only one to think that the LA Championship patch is too big?

0119-lak-patch.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1358651685006%20

(from Icethetics)

It made me realize how way too small and too high the chest logo is...

Between the second Cup celebration, banner raising, and a patch just slightly smaller than their crest, I guess they REALLY want people to remember they won the cup last season.

70389454.png

Looks like there will be a change to the Lightning, or at least as far as the third goes.

I just called the gift shop at the Tampa Bay Times Forum to ask about third jersey lettering (I have a blank third that I want to get lettered), and they said that they are out of that type of lettering, and that they are only going to order a small amount of it because they are planning on an eventual change. They said that the change obviously isn't coming this season, but eventually.

I don't care about the changes to the third, I want them to keep their word on more black being added to the main set.

(from Icethetics)

Between the second Cup celebration, banner raising, and a patch just slightly smaller than their crest, I guess they REALLY want people to remember they won the cup last season.

Well given the lockout, that night not be a bad idea.

(from Icethetics)

Well given the lockout, that night not be a bad idea.

Yeah I don't think its too much. First Cup ever for them, I'd say flauntin the heck out of it for a game is fine.

Hell, if the Caps ever win one I wouldn't mind them making a banner crest for one game. Although I have to admit that'd be as far on the opposite spectrum of "act like you've been there before" as possible.

90758391980.gif

Looks like there will be a change to the Lightning, or at least as far as the third goes.

I just called the gift shop at the Tampa Bay Times Forum to ask about third jersey lettering (I have a blank third that I want to get lettered), and they said that they are out of that type of lettering, and that they are only going to order a small amount of it because they are planning on an eventual change. They said that the change obviously isn't coming this season, but eventually.

I don't care about the changes to the third, I want them to keep their word on more black being added to the main set.

I wonder if the team bothered to update the third jersey shoulder patch for this season.

0I3kSAc.png

We are wolves • Under the moon

"it's not hideously garish, it's vintage!"

That is true.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

"it's not hideously garish, it's vintage!"

That is true.

Obviously. I'm just frustrated that new identitues in the NHL seem to either be "let's just wear what we used to, no matter how garish (Oilers) or sloppy (Flyers) it looks" or some modern art pile of crap (Isles third, nickname jerseys like Bolts or Sens).

Although it's a major tip of the hat to the Oil if they do introduce something new tonight that has flown pretty much completely under the radar. I just hope it's midnight blue and copper... :hockeysmiley: Lol but I know it won't be.

I wonder if the team bothered to update the third jersey shoulder patch for this season.

I *believe* so...

However, when I ordered what was labeled as the new one for this season back in the fall for our store, we instead got the exact same product as previous seasons. Now our Reebok rep said this was an error, then said it hadn't been changed yet so I'm not 100% certain it's actually changed at all...

I hope that the person I talked to at the gift shop this morning was talking about a more substantial change than just correcting the shoulder patches. My instinct is that she was, since they're reluctant to order more of the current third's number/letter kits.

But anything's possible, I guess...

Most of the highlights in the Ducks' commercials are of players when they're wearing the alternate jerseys, exactly what the Kings did before promoting their thirds to full-time status. Good sign, I guess. They're not perfect but they're better than the current primaries, at least.

I somewhat doubt that. They don't seem like they're going to be switching uniforms anytime soon, since there's been no talk of them switching for next season, which would mean the earliest they would be switching would be in 14-15, which would be kind of late to make the 3rds the primary uniforms. Usually if teams feel like their going to turn the alts into the primaries, they do it shortly after (a couple years) they release the uniforms as the alternate set. The Ducks also aren't really a team that has a history of turning alternates into the primary uniforms, like other teams tend to do. The Kings have done that a few different times.

I think they're just doing all of that promotion to try and sell more jerseys.... I hope I'm right, because the Ducks could do so much better. The current 3rds are pretty bad, with the phantom yoke, the weird side stripes, and that lazy/ugly shoulder logo. They could have a pretty good primary set if they just made the webbed D the crest logo, added a little bit more orange (while keeping the same colors for the most part), and used a better template. I've seen a few concepts that looked pretty good (and I say "few", because there are way too many concepts that try to blend the old uniforms with the new ones, and they just look like complete :censored:).

Actually the year before they dropped the "Mighty" the Ducks wore their black "Anaheim" script jerseys during the playoffs. While they never actually made it their primary, it signaled a move away from the Disney mask logo and towards a black jersey with a wordmark. Also, I'm pretty sure the Kings current home is the only 3rd jersey they've ever promoted. They swapped the logos on their primary and 3rd during the purple and silver era but that's it.

Actually the year before they dropped the "Mighty" the Ducks wore their black "Anaheim" script jerseys during the playoffs. While they never actually made it their primary, it signaled a move away from the Disney mask logo and towards a black jersey with a wordmark. Also, I'm pretty sure the Kings current home is the only 3rd jersey they've ever promoted. They swapped the logos on their primary and 3rd during the purple and silver era but that's it.

They pretty much swapped it around with the regular home jersey for the latter half of 2005-06. I don't know if they got permission from the league to do that, but I remember they wore it a lot that year, even before the playoffs.

I have mixed feelings about that old design, it was a nice looking jersey and a neat extension of the Mighty Ducks brand, but at the same time I've felt like it's the sort of look that any old team could pull off. And then it inspired the use of a half arsed wordmark as the team's new primary logo. Argh. </minirant>

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Archived