2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Flying V or we riot.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

As long as it's not the Bettman Apron, it'll probably look fine.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Agreed. My guess is this jersey is going to show Nashville what they should've done. Ie: not ditching silver and using the hideous template introduced by the blues... Just ditch the piping, pit stains and front numbers on the main set and they've got a perfect identity.

Agreed. My guess is this jersey is going to show Nashville what they should've done. Ie: not ditching silver and using the hideous template introduced by the blues...

I disagree. The only thing wrong with Nashville's set is the apron piping and attached blue blotches (I have no idea how other to describe them) by the collar. Remove that, and they have a beautiful and unique set. Honestly, I never really cared for the silver. I think their latest redesign really cleaned it up while maintaining a modern and original feel.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm fine with the blue things (clavicle stripes?) on the Preds' jerseys. In fact, I like everything about them except that damned apron piping. If they only had the piping go as far down as the clavicle stripes, it would accent them nicely and look great.

Oh, and put the guitar pick on both shoulders.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Sabres tweeted this photo

0712-buf-3rdpeek.jpg?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1373655698871

Which I think is a stripe below blue yokes.

Anybody else thinking it's going to look like this, but with blue instead of green? Perhaps silver instead of white?

oakland%20seals%20jersey.jpg

They could even use the script Buffalo logo and really go the whole nine yards...and you know what? It would look great.

Doesn't look like a navy yoke to me. From that angle at least, it seems more like a yellow yoke on a yellow jersey, with navy arm stripes. I'm thinking more along the lines of this...

pp1.jpg

I believe they will use the current crest, minus the silver, (and maybe) plus a few added details, to create yet another thrownback version of the classic logo.

Unless the picture was made to completely throw people off, unlike the Preds, this jersey will be traditional.

The Sabres tweeted this photo

Which I think is a stripe below blue yokes.

Anybody else thinking it's going to look like this, but with blue instead of green? Perhaps silver instead of white?

oakland%20seals%20jersey.jpg

They could even use the script Buffalo logo and really go the whole nine yards...and you know what? It would look great.

Doesn't look like a navy yoke to me. From that angle at least, it seems more like a yellow yoke on a yellow jersey, with navy arm stripes. I'm thinking more along the lines of this...

pp1.jpg

I believe they will use the current crest, minus the silver, (and maybe) plus a few added details, to create yet another thrownback version of the classic logo.

Unless the picture was made to completely throw people off, unlike the Preds, this jersey will be traditional.

It's definitely a yoke. The seams of the jersey give it away.

The 2014 Heritage Classic has been confirmed:

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...me=nhl-senators

So it looks like we'll be seeing at least one new uniform. I could see Vancouver wearing the Millionaire throwbacks from last season against the Sens in a white (or vintage white [i hope not!]) version of the heritage uniform. 2014 will (almost) mark the 100th anniversary of the Millionaires beating the Senators to win the city's only Stanley Cup so it makes sense.

You mean a vintage white Millionaires throwback like this? IMG_1136_zps34f5c02d.jpg

Where did this come from??

God, I hate the expression BFBS, I felt dirty just using it to reply... everyone throws it around haphazardly yet everyone seems to have a different idea of what it means.

Anyway, adding black to a list of team colors isn't "BFBS" (ugh). Teams nowadays do so much more often than in the past because yes, it sells but now it's popular and even expected. Look at the guy I responded to calling for adding black to the classic Flame uni!

I don't really care if the Mets wore blue and orange (and white, and grey) for 36, or 360 years. Teams tinker with schemes all the time, and adding black to the list of colors used is no different than a team changing shades of a given color, or to add another color entirely. Adding black was surely motivated by sales but it was subsequently featured on all the Mets' unis for years, so from that angle it's silly to complain about a team color getting used. (If the team added silver would you call it SFSS? )

It does annoy me somewhat when a team uses colors not in its scheme for alternates such as black (hello, Islanders) or any other color, such as light blue in the Panthers' former alternate uniform.

You're wrong. Adding black to a color scheme absolutely is BFBS. Look, as other said, it would help the Flames' set to have at least a small amount of black. However, 99% of the time, it is added just to boost sales, and makes the gear look much worse. A team that has never had black in its set adding it to move merchandize is BFBS. They aren't doing it to add depth to the look, they aren't doing it to "go in a different direction," they are shoehorning black into their schemes because there are aparently a large number of morons who refuse to buy their team's merchandise unless it's black. The Mets making black an official team color is BFBS because it was jumping on the bandwagon and adding it for the sole purpose of selling more, despite the fact that it made them look much, much worse (only one or two people ever on this board actually believed that the dropshadow on the home and road jerseys actually made them look better).

And actually, I'd prefer if teams insiting on BFBS just used a horribly out-of-place black alternate (like the Islanders) to ruining the team's other jersey/hats/etc (like the Mets).

Nope! You're wrong. Black is just another color that can be added anytime. When the Canucks went back to Blue and Green did you call it BGFBGS? of course not. Well I hope not, but who knows... :)

Teams change colors or add colors all the time. Sometimes it's blue, sometimes it's red, sometimes it's black.

When the 1978 Canucks added black was it "BFBS"? No. By your argument, these changes are all financially motivated towards merchandising. Merchandising was not nearly as important then as it is now. The old story goes that Frank Griffiths wanted a meaner look for the team, and a psychologist chose black for that reason, along with the other bold colors of orange and gold. The Buffalo Sabres switch to Black, Red, Silver and White in 1996 (or 7) was also not BFBS. It was a new color scheme.

"BFBS" was created to mean when a team wears a black uniform when there's no black in the color scheme, as a blatant money grab. The Mets had black in theirs, and whether or not you liked the look is irrelevant. The Mets changing colors was indeed geared towards making more money... and that's exactly the same as what happens when any team changes, or tweaks its color scheme.

I know you'd probably call the Arizona Cardinals' black uniform black for black's sake, but I wouldn't... black is a team color and probably has always been. Now, I don't care for their all-black look, but that's irrelevant too. Black's in their scheme.

The New York Islanders would fit your "BFBS" expression. They have never had black as a team color and as an alternate, the purpose of the uniform is pretty clearly to make money.

The 2014 Heritage Classic has been confirmed:

http://www.tsn.ca/nh...me=nhl-senators

So it looks like we'll be seeing at least one new uniform. I could see Vancouver wearing the Millionaire throwbacks from last season against the Sens in a white (or vintage white [i hope not!]) version of the heritage uniform. 2014 will (almost) mark the 100th anniversary of the Millionaires beating the Senators to win the city's only Stanley Cup so it makes sense.

You mean a vintage white Millionaires throwback like this? IMG_1136_zps34f5c02d.jpg

Where did this come from??

I was wondering the same thing. That thing is awesome!

This is what's confusing me, and confusing me greatly. This photo shows this:

and then there's this

0712-buf2.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1373691226525

look at the little stripe, the white one. In one photo, it stops, in the other, it does not. Then again, that screencap is of the jersey being "colored in", so there could be some things that aren't being revealed to us. But now I wonder if it's a yoke with a truncated stripe, a la the Bruins or Golden Seals, or if it's an over-shoulder stripe a la the Wild or 80s Jets. Thoughts? Speculation?

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

0712-buf5.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1373691912724

Oooh, it's chain-stitched!

0712-buf5.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1373691912724

Oooh, it's chain-stitched!

Yeah, but where is it? If it's under the collar ala the NFL it'll just look weird. If it's under the collar on the back it's going to look crammed with the NOB and Reebok wordmark back there as well.

Archived