2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

There's something about the old 2D's face that to me makes it look rather dated.

Probably how thin the lines are. Much bolder strokes these days.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Considering that the team's primary colour turned to red several years before the Corel Centre became the Scotiabank Place, I'd say that it was rather a directive from the same ownership group that drived the team to near-bankruptcy.

Why are people making Senators 2-D logo concepts when the Sens have an excellent 2-D logo they just need to frickin' use for once?

It's been fifteen years since the Sens had a respectable uniform set. I wouldn't go expecting miracles now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

There's something about the old 2D's face that to me makes it look rather dated.

Probably how thin the lines are. Much bolder strokes these days.

That's probably it. The old Habs CH logos weren't up to snuff for the same reason, I guess.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

toronto isn't a traditional baseball market, but no one complains.

You bet they do. Heck, we even have members on this board who whine "Baseball/basketball don't belong in Canada! So what if the Blue Jays and Raptors are both middle-of-the-pack in attendance despite having won a combined one playoff round in their last 38 seasons combined!"

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Also saw this on HF. Looks amazing IMO.

tUoXzN8.png

Looks great, but I think I like the one habsfan posted:

BrianBrideau-OTTmashup.png

A lot less drab, and the red is so much more vibrant. If they slap this on a black uniform I think it'd pop.

Was there any truth to Daigle's face being used for the first 3D logo?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

I'm sure I've said this before, but I just don't get the love for any aspects of the Senators identity over the years. IMO the only passable look was the gold trimmed alternate. Honestly at this point I'd be so bold as to say they should rebrand (I'd even say rename if they didn't think they were an extension of the original Senators). Do a red/black/gold color scheme and dump all existing logos, including the big zero, err, O. Only problem is I can't picture what a good logo for a team named Senators is. But they've certainly shown us what it isn't.

The name "Ottawa Senators" rolls off the tongue quite nicely, and it's actually rather intimidating. Nothing scarier than a bunch of taxpayer-fleecing appointees!

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Do I need to relate the history of the game to you to explain why Toronto has a legacy of hockey that Dallas just doesn't have?

no, and i find that question to be slightly offensive, to be honest.

toronto has a legacy of hockey and a rich hockey history. dallas only has a 20 year history of NHL hockey. toronto has a history because toronto has a history.

there are countless cities in north america that have no history with top level baseball, football, or basketball. if they got a team, they wouldn't be judged on the traditionality of their market. you have to have a team to get that history. san jose isn't a traditional market, but they've had a team for almost as long as the north stars were in minnesota. where is the cut-off of "traditional."

i think sports should be inclusive and not exclusive.

a market should be judged on it's profitability and fan interest, not if it's "traditional." seattle isn't a traditional football market, but no one complains. toronto isn't a traditional baseball market, but no one complains. i just don't get the need to divide the sport as much as hockey fans seem to do, nor do i see how long a team has been in a certain market should have anything to do with the way they dress.

just my 2 cents.

How "traditional" a market is has nothing to do with the existence of a professional team. The Bay Area got its first NHL team the same time Minnesota did but one is clearly a more obvious market for hockey. Minnesota has had a long history of developing hockey players through high school and college hockey. I'm all for hockey being inclusive but I'm also for recognizing the sport's history. There aren't very many sports that mean more to one country than hockey does to Canada. If you don't think so look no further than the (soon to be outdated) $5 bill:

cad5r-800x3661.jpg

Just because it's not traditional doesn't mean it doesn't work. Perhaps take a look at the afforementioned Bay Area market. While it had numerous minor league teams and the Seals, it never caught on. In the San Francisco-Sacramento area, when the Sharks arrived in 1991, there were eight rinks and eight sheets of ice (Santa Rosa, Berkeley, Dublin, Sacramento, Stockton, Eastridge (San Jose), Vallco (Cupertino), Redwood City. After numerous marketing, merchandise inspiring (after all that's why the do the logo changes and fancy colors) the game has inspired many to get on the ice. Today in the area there are 16 rinks, across the Bay Area / Sacramento valley (Santa Rosa known as the Snoopy rink, Oakland, Dublin, Belmont, Dublin, Stockton, Cupertino, Redwood City, San Jose, Vacaville, San Mateo, Fremont) the youth hockey programs have exploded.

Cal, Stanford, Santa Clara, San Jose State (two programs, two different divisions) all play club college hockey, with the latter pondering the idea of going NCAA. The game has been so popular, two ECHL teams have set up shop in San Francisco and Stockton without costing the Sharks any problems at the gate.

It may not be traditional, but this area has embraced the game.

Back to on topic, still nothing yet on the Sharks, but no one has denied a Sharks alteration yet. But there will be many upset if the Sharks do go black at home.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

tUoXzN8.png

A lot less drab, and the red is so much more vibrant. If they slap this on a black uniform I think it'd pop.

No way, the first one is a much nicer improvement. The duller tone for the gold is a more classy look than the almost bright orange. The added helmet decal and the mowhawk outline are nice touches as well.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Just because it's not traditional doesn't mean it doesn't work. Perhaps take a look at the afforementioned Bay Area market. While it had numerous minor league teams and the Seals, it never caught on. In the San Francisco-Sacramento area, when the Sharks arrived in 1991, there were eight rinks and eight sheets of ice (Santa Rosa, Berkeley, Dublin, Sacramento, Stockton, Eastridge (San Jose), Vallco (Cupertino), Redwood City. After numerous marketing, merchandise inspiring (after all that's why the do the logo changes and fancy colors) the game has inspired many to get on the ice. Today in the area there are 16 rinks, across the Bay Area / Sacramento valley (Santa Rosa known as the Snoopy rink, Oakland, Dublin, Belmont, Dublin, Stockton, Cupertino, Redwood City, San Jose, Vacaville, San Mateo, Fremont) the youth hockey programs have exploded.

Cal, Stanford, Santa Clara, San Jose State (two programs, two different divisions) all play club college hockey, with the latter pondering the idea of going NCAA. The game has been so popular, two ECHL teams have set up shop in San Francisco and Stockton without costing the Sharks any problems at the gate.

It may not be traditional, but this area has embraced the game.

Back to on topic, still nothing yet on the Sharks, but no one has denied a Sharks alteration yet. But there will be many upset if the Sharks do go black at home.

I can't disagree with you there. And I'm happy to see more people enjoying the great game of hockey. It only can help in the long run to grow the sport.

More people should call them the Sennies; it's adorably pejorative

Again, how about no.

Anyway, I've never been a fan of the 2D logo or those adaptations. I do enjoy the unused newer one, but it probably wouldn't crack my top 10 if it were in use. I grew up with the semi 3D head, and I personally think that that was the best logo the sens have had, albeit cartoonish, the original logo doesn't really strike anything to me.

I'd make the new 2D head the primary, use the peace tower logo from either the expansion campaign or the pre edge alternates, and just use the current alternate as it is. And just go back to some form of the 90s striping pattern, it's really not that hard.

tUoXzN8.png

No way, the first one is a much nicer improvement. The duller tone for the gold is a more classy look than the almost bright orange. The added helmet decal and the mowhawk outline are nice touches as well.

That gold color is clearly not "almost bright orange".

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

tUoXzN8.png

That gold color is clearly not "almost bright orange".

Current Senators colors/colours:

OttawaSenators_FRC_9999_SCC_SRGB.png

Most teams provide flat, non-metallic alternate colors for Metallics. The difference seen in those examples seem to be emulating flat vs. metallic.

tUoXzN8.png

There are too many outlines around the original logo. The 3 on the hairpiece is way too much. My version corrected that problem.

Archived