ksupilot

2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

This will be the first Sharks jersey I don't buy. Downgrade from what they were wearing. No hem stripes makes this jersey look unfinished.

Should have seen this coming. All offseason they were talking about the black jersey, the black jersey is lighter, the black jersey is streamlined, black jersey, black jersey, black jersey. So what do they do? Make a teal version of the black jersey.

While I always did think the previous jersey was clunky with the W/O/B/O/W stripes, the yoke, the numbers, the triple sharks logos, (hell look where they shoved the GG3 and 20 years patches), this is too much in the other direction.

Half assed removal of orange. Kept the front numbers. No hemstripe. I guess you could hear the "lighter" argument with enough spin, but these aren't streamlined. The black jerseys work without the hem stripe and get that streamlined feel, because the while thing is black. It blends together. This looks disjointed. I wouldn't say they should have gone head to toe teal, but a hem stripe would go miles to helping this.

And the triple sharks logos... Ugh. At least with the yoke, they were bordered or separated, but now there isn't that separation. They're all on teal. USE THE FIN LOGO.

Downgrade.

Ladies and gentlemen, the first team to have downgraded from their original Edge set:

15212325832_slide.jpg

I can guarantee that their hired some new-wave graphic designer who wanted a "cleaner" look and knew absolutely nothing about hockey aesthetic.

Agree. Pun intended?

Why?

I don't mind the simplification of the numbers. But otherwise...

The removal of one yellow stripe (and, therefore, symmetry) is odd. Just keep it or remove it. This is the worst of both worlds.

The no hem stripe certainly makes it look like a practice jersey and I really, really hope that this does not become more common...I thought we were moving away from some of the cheap looks of the original Edge.

As someone several pages back said, this is the first team to downgrade it's original edge set.

Ridiculously :censored:ty. This is the biggest downgrade in the EDGE era

All these new uniforms coming out make me love my Lightning's set even more (even though I wasn't too fond on them before they added the black)

I'm eagerly awating Brandmoore praising these and telling us it's good that the Sharks aren't putting form ahead of function and will no longer be slowed down by their dated piping.

I wasn't in love with the last Sharks set, but it was timeless compared to this. These are terrible.

I had a minor rant earlier in this summer in defense of Dallas's jersey and talking about people getting too picky about teams "copying" each other's waist striping patterns.

First, I'd like to REPEAT what I said earlier, which is that I would be FINE if every team freakin' used the basic mock-up for the Rangers/ Devils/Flyers/ Bruins/Canadiens/ Wings/ Hawks/ Leafs and then color and fill and swap to your liking. Why? Because those jerseys look the freakin' best. It's really not up for debate. If the bashing of Dallas centered on their "mimicking" /"stealing" the Hawks striping, I seriously want to look at that crowd and say: Well, boys, would you rather look like the SJ Sharks?

Second, we hear a lot of chatter on this board about modern vs. "old-school"/ "vintage"/ "throwback" aesthetics. I never in my life considered myself an old-school guy. I owned a Statue of Liberty jersey (2, actually), and despite my love for my team (the Rangers), I was always drawn to the Whalers/ original Sharks/ Spawn-inspired Oilers/ Flames horsey/ original Avs and Stars. Those, to me, were truly modern aesthetics.

Now, flash forward to 2013, and I've been marginalized as an old fogey who merely wants everyone to be "original 6" and "boooooooooring." And here's where I'm getting to my point/ theme:

Over the past 5 years, can you give me examples of good-quality modern designs? What makes up a modern design? I can really own think of one, and that's the Preds. Because you can't simply be "modern" and "new" by removing elements of a classic design. If a "modern" hockey jersey looks like this new Sharks slop, count me out. There's almost nothing to it. There's NO DESIGN, NO NOTHING. It's just the slow removal of items that made you relevant and interesting to the eye.

So I guess I'm reluctantly finding myself on the old/ stodgy side of the great uniform divide of the early 21st Century, not because I am a traditionalist who simply won't change with the times. No, no, no. Au contraire. I simply haven't been shown (outside of the Preds) a great modern design that rejects/ improves upon what came before. People might reference the Kings home jersey, but look at how improved the away is from the home. The Capitals have a similar format. It's passable, but is it really better than their current thirds? Hardly! Where are these great modern designers?

Either we have teams trying too hard to have a grown-up design (but more importantly, eliminating all signs of uniqueness): Tampa/ Carolina... or teams are simply trying to revert to the glory days (Sharks/Panthers) by hearkening back and simplifying but leaving the design wholly missing anything resembling a soul (for as much as a dumb jersey can emote such a thing).

Every team that has dumbed its jersey down has done it under the guise of "simplifying" or "cleaning up" the thing, from the Sharks to the Panthers to the Oilers (first RBK) to the Avs. Think back to what was said at all the press conferences. They're all a big, fat failure. Fail doesn't do it justice. FAILURE.

From this...

Phoenix+Coyotes+v+San+Jose+Sharks+85tU2x

To this...

15212325832_slide.jpg

I think they are an udgrade. I like the removal of almost all of the orange and getting rid of the shoulder yoke was a good idea. I think that the now old uniforms look too busy in comparison to these new ones. I am not a fan of the front numbers, shoulder patches and the lack of a hem stripe, but overall I think that it is an upgrade. That orange in the elbow really looks odd and out of place however.

I think the Hurricanes still top the list of biggest downgrades of the Edge era (and specifically this off-season).

As far as these go, I actually think they're a slight upgrade, but I don't think they're very good.

There were too much going on with the last set, but the way they've cut back is a bit strange.

Some of you need to simmer the :censored: down. They're not bad, in fact they're really close to their original look which a lot of people have been clamoring for. Are they perfect? No. They should've ditched the stupid ass front numbers and kept a hem stripe, but other than that, they're far from the "WURST JERZEEZ EVUR!!!1!11!eleven111"

And I find it hysterical that a bunch of dumbass Canucks fans are calling the Sharks out for being incompetent and mediocre. Go choke on a d**k burn down your city again you :censored: heads.

Can;t wait for the Sharks' next anniversary or memorial patch.

On my phone, and can only post the pic trough twitter. My guess for the home teal: BSEu_oTCcAEHuW_.jpg

And thinking they're paying homage to their original jerseys, a guess on the white:

BSE4sM3CUAA4Goc.jpg

sigh. these would have been so great

Some of you need to simmer the :censored: down.

Go choke on a d**k burn down your city again you :censored: heads.

36936788.jpg

Some of you need to simmer the :censored: down. They're not bad, in fact they're really close to their original look which a lot of people have been clamoring for. Are they perfect? No. They should've ditched the stupid ass front numbers and kept a hem stripe, but other than that, they're far from the "WURST JERZEEZ EVUR!!!1!11!eleven111"

And I find it hysterical that a bunch of dumbass Canucks fans are calling the Sharks out for being incompetent and mediocre. Go choke on a d**k burn down your city again you :censored: heads.

Yes, they really are THAT bad. In fact the only thing more laughable than the jerseys themselves is that video outlining the "Design Process." Why have a minute and a half video to explain what could be done in 6 words?

"Teal version of the Black jersey"

I'm sure if the Canucks had just removed their hem stripes and sleeve piping, they'd be the champs right now :rolleyes:.

Since it's my team getting :censored: on here, I felt a need to respond.

I agree with the general sentiment that this is a slight downgrade for the team. I hated the shoulder yokes with the passion of a thousand suns and like the fact they made the home jerseys embrace the color of teal. It's who they are, it's what they are. They're not an Original Six franchise, they're not an expansion, so there's no need, or better yet obligation, to try and copy their form in a jersey. You're a modern team who is the butt of many jokes because not only do many fans not consider you a "legitimate" franchise, but because your color palette is so unusual. What better way to forge that identity than to accept what makes you different?

With that said, I don't mind the slightly atypical choice of the single orange line on the elbows. It's unusual and triggers a little bit of an OCD response in me, but in time, I believe I could like it.

What I don't care for, however, is the change in number style and how it contrasts with the letters on the front of the jersey. The numbers on the front bother me as well, but if you're going to go for consistency, at least use the same font. Different visuals often clash and this is one of them.

Furthermore, the image of three nearly full-bodied sharks on the teal jersey is an overload of the worst kind. For some reason, they've never embraced the updated diamond as a shoulder patch and I feel that one, or the SJ wordmark, would've been a massive upgrade here. Not to mention the inconsistency on coloring the collar on the away, but not the home jersey, is pretty non-sensical.

With all this said, I think time might soften the brunt of some of the sharper criticism of the design. As for now, though, it's not the step forward that I was secretly hoping for.