2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Some of you need to simmer the :censored: down. They're not bad, in fact they're really close to their original look which a lot of people have been clamoring for. Are they perfect? No. They should've ditched the stupid ass front numbers and kept a hem stripe, but other than that, they're far from the "WURST JERZEEZ EVUR!!!1!11!eleven111"

This uniform is only a few tweaks away from being awesome. It doesn't make it good by any stretch of the imagination though.

phaneuf-js-leafs-3-copy_zpsa369cabf.jpg

Giggy...in Bauer? Interesting, never saw that before. I'm assuming that's a preseason game or something.

Much more interesting topic than the Sharks terrible new jerseys. :/

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

When you look at the "3" as well as the head, it actually does look like Dion's Photoshopped in.

The site it comes from has nothing but Photoshops on it so I would assume that it is.

Oh gawd, look at Terry Smith's(San Jose Sharks primary designer) work. He's a terrible designer. Even his website looks like trash http://www.terrysmithcreations.com/

I wouldn't call Terry Smith a "terrible" designer. He's obviously had a good deal of success and he's been in the business for a long time. I'd say his work is a little dated and out of fashion, but I wouldn't say he's a terrible designer.

Now, his sports paintings where he made his name - those are hilarious. They're okay in terms of realist painting, but sooooo kitschy. Dwight Gooden can throw fast, the ball's on fire! Michael Jordan can jump high, he has rockets instead of legs!. Also, in 1992 he painted a picture of a juicing Barry Bonds titled "Bionic Bonds". In 1992! Maybe he actually is a genius.

PvO6ZWJ.png

When you look at the "3" as well as the head, it actually does look like Dion's Photoshopped in.

The site it comes from has nothing but Photoshops on it so I would assume that it is.

Also, Giggy never wore the Duck mask in blue on the Leafs.

Regarding the aformentioned Terry Smith. He has provided some gems (Lake Elsinore Storm, Worcester Sharks shield/W/fin logo), but it seems he's the reason that San Jose branding in general isn't the greatest. Apparently, if you're in San Jose, he's the only option. (Sharks, Sabrecats, Earthquakes, Stealth)

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

Our boy Terry borrows from his own designs..

pLqVLlS.png

They are not exact copies but more of a "remix" of his own logos.. There are more examples and he seems to use the same font over and over.

It looks like that design broke one of the golden rules of being a professional... Reselling a design you sold to another client. That's the San Jose Saber Cats head (which I'm sure he designed) on a design for some hockey team.

That random red patch where the NHL shield usually is doesn't look too well when empty.

Have they thought about slapping on the AHL logo there instead of on the jersey's back hem?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Oh gawd, look at Terry Smith's(San Jose Sharks primary designer) work. He's a terrible designer. Even his website looks like trash http://www.terrysmithcreations.com/

You're right. Most of his logos feel like they could have came straight out of the concept section.

The guy's cyber/ sting rays logos look an awful lot like the Hull Sting Rays of the British Elite Ice Hockey League... Unless Hull copied his...

5HwQ7in.png

ukeds6pby30n4qecy6s1f2pe4.gif

Knowing how British hockey teams operate, it's more likely that the Hull Stingrays stole this logo. But I'll be somewhat pleasantly surprised if Smith actually provided it to them.

Incase anyone's interested, this was the team's original logo before they bumped up to the Elite League:

155-150-1-hull_stingrays_original.jpg

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

This would be great for the NHL Wild:

BSOOkJZCQAAvAZd.jpg

The green roundel on the green jersey just seems so redundant. But maybe that's only because it's a roundel placed around an already-used, shrunk-down logo, because that same effect works well on the Jets, imo.

I'll respect any opinion that you can defend.

This would be great for the NHL Wild:

BSOOkJZCQAAvAZd.jpg

The green roundel on the green jersey just seems so redundant. But maybe that's only because it's a roundel placed around an already-used, shrunk-down logo, because that same effect works well on the Jets, imo.

Just using the existing logo and putting it in a rondel with text and maybe a flashy graphic (the shooting stars in this case) is probably the lowest form of grasping for straws in the logo business IMO. Also, if they go with that, they would have 3-4 of the same logo on the sweater. (1 crest, 2 shoulder, one possibly on the pants.)

I'd place logo without the rondel on the front, remove the phantom yoke, and then get a new secondary logo to put on the shoulders (I don't care if it's two intertwining letters as long as its at least different) if I could tweak this.

That is a terrible uniform, roundel or not. The phantom yoke, piss white, and complete lack of red/gold really weigh it down.

But you know, I could really live with another team that doesn't use red.

13 teams use red

15 teams use blue

7 teams use gold

and only three teams (excluding San Jose) use green.

It would be nice to have a clean green/white colour scheme, but it definitely doesn't need the vintage white.

I dig the minimalism of the pad design, but I'm not a fan of the airbrushed style mask.

Seconded. I think the entire board is in general approval of minimalism on goalie masks.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I dig the minimalism of the pad design, but I'm not a fan of the airbrushed style mask.

Seconded. I think the entire board is in general approval of minimalism on goalie masks.

That mask looks like it could be a nice mix. The leaves (leafs?) on the side should be pretty visible from far away, but there's the airbrushed stuff for up close.

Pads are great, but the mask is just OK. There is just a bit of a CuJo vibe, but at least his mask isn't littered with crap illegible from a distance. Scrivens' mask was great last year and I hope his LA one is good as well.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived