2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Minnesota's new jersey would look better if it was wheat instead of clean white. Their home and alternate jerseys have no white in them so why not keep it consistent throughout the set? It wouldn't be the first time fans in Minnesota have seen a team hit the ice in wheat:

AllStar04.png

Because I don't know if the league would approve it being a different color from the other 29 teams. ASG jerseys are gear for a special occasion, so it's understandable that rules can be stretched out a bit. And a point that I consider very important is what color would the helmet be? I don't see them being allowed to wear a colored helmet on the road, and the standard white helmet would look hideous worn with cream jerseys and green shorts. If a wheat road jersey was ever truly considered, they had many stumbling blocks in front of them.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Wasn't me.

Also, on Facebook, a lot of people were like "What's the difference?" or "They barely changed anything!". I get that we here are a different breed and that the normal fan isn't going to obsess over small details like us, but are most people really that ignorant over uniforms/changes?

-BigBubba

These are the same people that see nothing wrong with Chinese knockoffs, either.

Wasn't me.

Also, on Facebook, a lot of people were like "What's the difference?" or "They barely changed anything!". I get that we here are a different breed and that the normal fan isn't going to obsess over small details like us, but are most people really that ignorant over uniforms/changes?

-BigBubba

These are the same people that see nothing wrong with Chinese knockoffs, either.

Or amazing jersey fouls.

I like the Wild uniforms for the most part. The biggest plus is using just the logo as the crest. They have one of the best logos in the league, there's no reason to make a roundel out of it and make it smaller. I wish they would've made the captains patches red with green outlines like the number and used a rounded yoke. At least they're closer to having a matching set.

Still think the best they've ever looked was their original set. Modern without being over the top and ugly. One thing I don't like is that now their trying to play to Minnesota's hockey heritage with the old-school jerseys but having a modern logo.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

All in all, I really like them. I think they'd benefit from a rounded yoke, but the biggest flaw I see is the shoulder patches. The bear head is on the chest, so there's no need to repeat it on the shoulders inside a ring. Especially with the contrasting yoke, these would be fine without any shoulder patches.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

I certainly think it's an upgrade overall, even if it was somewhat unnecessary (Given the bear head crest on both). It's a solid jersey in a vacuum but the "three mismatched jerseys" issue remains.

What I like:

• Bear head crest. Even though it leaves three different crests, I like this simply as a sign they are not leaving the logo behind.
  • Shoulder patch: I know it's a bit redundant, but I don't mind it. I would like a primary home jersey to have this shoulder patch and the full logo on the front as well.
  • Numbers. Christmas time. Like the colors together and am glad they did not keep the two separated everywhere.

What I don't like:

• Square yoke. Rounded would look better.
  • Lack of red on sleeve/hem stripes. This seems to keep with a trend (eliminating key colors from certain elements) and I don't like it.
  • One-color "C" and "A"...should match the numbers

It's a couple of tweaks from being a great jersey and more importantly, I like the direction for the future (i.e., maybe they'll get back to the logo in full).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I wish teams were more reluctant to use shoulder patches when their jersey doesnt really need them. This is the case with the Wild. Some teams jerseys benefit from having something on the shoulder, but I'd say of those that use them, most don't need them.

Does anyone know off the top of their head (roughly) what percentage of the league uses shoulder patches on their main home/way jersey? Is it something like 70%?

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Thirty-three of the sixty main home/away sweaters have at least one shoulder patch. Twelve of twenty third/fourth sweaters (new Sabres not included) have shoulder patches, but I think a few of those have been retired this off season. Only Detroit, Edmonton, Montreal, New Jersey, the Rangers, Philadelphia, and Pittsburgh have no shoulder patches on any of their sweaters (and maybe Buffalo, depending on their new third).

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

Still don't understand why they ever went away from these...

Wild01.png

Yep, those were better.

VG0mMaO.png

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

This may be an unpopular opinion, but I think Minnesota's new jersey would look better if it was wheat instead of clean white. Their home and alternate jerseys have no white in them so why not keep it consistent throughout the set? It wouldn't be the first time fans in Minnesota have seen a team hit the ice in wheat:

AllStar04.png

In fairness, would you want to walk around in a beige jersey?

I think the vintage white olde tymed stuff is best reserved for special events, not to be used on a regular basis. I know, Minnesota and the 2004 All Stars did it first, but it's already grown tiresome since other teams started throwing it in for the sake of it.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Wasn't me.

-BigBubba

Bubba Gump: Sometimes, you strike me as quite flippant in your responses, but I really want to delve into your post a bit more.

I gather that the answer to your question is a resounding "yes." So, if that's the case, is there any hope for changing the single worst jersey out right now: the Avs ???

17.avs.jpg

Do you think with Sakic and Roy assuming leadership posts with the team, they will want to hearken back to their good-ole days of glory? Or are most players similar to those on the Sharks, who clearly know nothing about design or how a sweater works?

Do players look at the hideous RBK design and go: OK, that looks pretty good. Not so dissimilar to what I remember ???

I'd say the Avs and Sharks are in a similar boat. To their credit, they have pretty kick-ass logos (IMHO), and they use a unique color/ color scheme. However, the execution falls flat, and I fear that most people (maybe even their players and marketing folks) are too willing to say: "What's the big deal? It's a great logo and color scheme. It doesn't deviate too much from the past..."

Unless I'm missing someone, the Avs are the only team that is perpetuating the worst of the initial RBK designs: the inner-most piping.

While I'm sure there are misgivings about these sweaters...

628x471.jpg

Jarome-Iginla--Calgary-Flames-jpg.jpg

167200668.jpg

daniel-alfredsson.jpg?w=620

(for various reasons) ... to me, the biggest foul is the inner-most piping (,not, as you can see, the one the Blues use) :

captain.jpg

jean-sebastien-giguere-gabriel-landeskog

I don't believe any team still uses this type of piping. Trying to remember...I believe the Panthers did. The Preds did.

Weber_Captain_Summer2010_hpg.jpg

95039422_display_image.jpg?1281032584

To me, keeping the Avs as such is a disgrace. That tightest piping is, to me, not flattering, borderline feminine and wrecks a sweater. It adds NOTHING of value to it. And, I think it's pathetic to allow the piping to run through the Captain C, but that's just me...

Will people (ranging from casual fan to former player)'s basic lack of thoughtfulness about jerseys cause the Avs to keep everything as-is? To do it for much longer just continues to kick sand upon a formerly great design. You don't even need to return to the mountaintops. I'll take the act of simply removing the piping as an upgrade !

Wasn't me.

-BigBubba

captain.jpg

jean-sebastien-giguere-gabriel-landeskog

The only good thing I'll say about the piping is that the border between the burgundy/blue on top and the burgundy/white on the bottom looks 100x better with the piping separating those colors. Look at the difference between the color borders on the arms and the ones next to the crest. Now whether there even should be color panels like that there...

The Leafs don't play the Avs very often, so I've never really paid too much attention to the fact that they've got a serifed, double-outlined "C" right on top of double piping and right above a side panel. What a mess!

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Hard to say which is the worst of the initial edge batch but it's definitely between the Avalanche and the Flames. I can't understand for the life of me why they weren't changed as soon as possible. Then again, living in Calgary, I've noticed the clash-patch threads are quite popular. You don't see many fans wearing the throwbacks or the fantastic pre-edge design. If they got rid of the shoulder patches, it'd be passable. Not good, but passable. As it stands, it's an eyesore you have to endure every time the team has a game.

I don't believe any team still uses this type of piping. Trying to remember...I believe the Panthers did. The Preds did.

Weber_Captain_Summer2010_hpg.jpg

95039422_display_image.jpg?1281032584

Don't forget the Oil did too.

R3B4jqD.jpg

And as a die hard Avs fan, I wholeheartedly agree that the piping has to go. I'm hopeful the team will make a change soon, if for nothing more than a new jersey cash grab.

Preds and Blues do:

Predators12.pngBlues27.png

At the very least, on Nashville's home and St Louis' road, it's not too visible because it's white on gold/gold on white.

-BigBubba

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived