2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Heard a rumor from a fairly reliable source that the new Flames alternate will contain a word mark.

Similar rumors exist and expand on that, in that it will be a red jersey, with the wordmark Calgary" going diagonally down the chest, and be unveiled later in October.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Heard a rumor from a fairly reliable source that the new Flames alternate will contain a word mark.

Similar rumors exist and expand on that, in that it will be a red jersey, with the wordmark Calgary" going diagonally down the chest, and be unveiled later in October.

Unless this has some historical significance...why??????????

I'm sorry but wordmark jerseys suck. I'll tolerate the Rangers due to tradition but that's it. One of the reasons I'm attracted to hockey jerseys is because of logos on the front. That's what sets them apart from other jerseys in other sports which contain wordmarks or numbers. Slapping a wordmark on the front of a jersey just makes it look like any other sports jerseys. Teams have been wearing logos on the front of their uniforms since the 1870s going back to the days of the Montreal Victorias, Ottawa Capitals and Kenora Thisltes. So when a team comes out with a generic wordmark jersey it makes me mad. Mad enough to come aboard and attack ships like my grandpapa use to do when he got mad.
2w3wbvc.jpg

The Catch of the Day!

The Sabres new third isn't quite as bad as what most are calling it. It's definitely not a well designed jersey, but it's no worse than the Islander's third or Atlanta's from a couple seasons back. In fact if I had to split hairs (and that's what I would have to be doing in order to separate them) I would put the Sabres' third slightly above those 2.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

What's my point? You said the Stars numbers looked "rec league" while raising up an example of something that looked even more "rec league" from my point of view. (BTW, those UND numbers are double-outlined in green and black)

Either way, the numbers read fine with or without an outline and it's pretty obvious that Dallas wanted to go with a faux-classic look and the single color numbers help drive that idea home. And if you're trying to make a case that a simple number outline is the difference in one sweater being light years ahead of another sweater, then I'm not going to be able to convince you otherwise. Personally, I think believing that any outlined number is automatically better than any single-colored number is a little narrow minded to say the least.

I was talking about your font type comment. And given the outline and dimension given of the logos on the very same jersey it looks inconsistent and yes, a little rec league-ish. The NoDak uniform has a more consistent and polished look. Dont think a debate on the semantics of me saying "light years" is relevant but YMMV I guess.

I'm sorry but wordmark jerseys suck. I'll tolerate the Rangers due to tradition but that's it. One of the reasons I'm attracted to hockey jerseys is because of logos on the front. That's what sets them apart from other jerseys in other sports which contain wordmarks or numbers. Slapping a wordmark on the front of a jersey just makes it look like any other sports jerseys. Teams have been wearing logos on the front of their uniforms since the 1870s going back to the days of the Montreal Victorias, Ottawa Capitals and Kenora Thisltes. So when a team comes out with a generic wordmark jersey it makes me mad. Mad enough to come aboard and attack ships like my grandpapa use to do when he got mad.

I have to agree--I hope that's not what they do.

Comic Sans walks into a bar, and the bartender says, "Sorry, we don't serve your type here."

Mad enough to come aboard and attack ships like my grandpapa use to do when he got mad.

"thats my schtick and i am sticking to it."

Agreed. It didn't work for Colorado and it won't work for the Flames. At least both teams will now look equally awful since they apparently have no intention of fixing their edge jerseys from 2007...

I think it worked on the original Colorado alt. Also, Pittsburgh's wasn't too bad, save for the length of the name.

Agreed. It didn't work for Colorado and it won't work for the Flames. At least both teams will now look equally awful since they apparently have no intention of fixing their edge jerseys from 2007...

I think it worked on the original Colorado alt. Also, Pittsburgh's wasn't too bad, save for the length of the name.

Yeah, I liked the original Colorado alternate.

If anything, I'm just glad that it probably won't be yellow. Yellow shouldn't be a prominent color for Calgary.

The first Colorado alternate is the best sweater that FRANCHISE has ever worn... I said it. Put this in the unpopular opinions thread as well.

Colorado's Bergundy alt was pretty bad. It would fair a lot better if the sleeve and hem stripes matched and if it didn't feature a black collar. Its biggest issue however is that it shoehorns traditional design elements on a modern colour scheme with even more modern logos. It's like mixing oil and water

The first Colorado alternate is the best sweater that FRANCHISE has ever worn... I said it. Put this in the unpopular opinions thread as well.

I'll certainly agree it's the best the franchise has worn as the Colorado Avalanche.

source_431_24877.jpg

I loved this thing. The non-matching arm and hem stripes did always bother me though.

Their new one is absolutely hideous. The burgundy yokes don't look well against the blue primary.

These are way way better than their current alts. And I can't believe that I never noticed that the striping doesn't match until it was pointed out.

I'll certainly agree it's the best the franchise has worn as the Colorado Avalanche.

This is the best jersey ever worn by the franchise. As for the Nordique's generic trash being better... speechless.

fiht.jpg

Archived