2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

I don't see why it's so important that the star striping aligns perfectly with the primary logo. They are both seperate design elements and how disjointed would the striping look if they italized it to match the logo...

It's just visually jarring. If you're not going to italicize the striping then use a straight star. If you don't want to do that either then don't line two stars up that don't line up. It's just off-putting.

I also don't see why having the same design as a previous all star jersey is important either. They toke a creative, unused template that was appropriate for the team namesake and gave it a far superior colour scheme. The result was one of the best looking jerseys of the 90's.

Lights Out waxes poetically about how he loves "original designs." Whatever you think of those Stars uniforms, they were not an original design.

Anyway the numbers sometimes overlapped the striping, which is my biggest pet peeve of the design.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Well of course it wasn't perfect. But for the residents of the area it was the one sweater they could actually identify with. And update could've fixed everything as the years went on but it didn't happen because basketball -_-

Btw anyone know when Reebok's contract is up? We'd be discussing less of this if it weren't for the Edge disaster and I'm ready for a new template that allows for better hockey aesthetics

Midway.png

Btw anyone know when Reebok's contract is up?

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Yet again, some of the teams that have recovered from their Edge monstrosities will likely end up blowing it all to hell with the new manufacturer and we'll be back in 2007.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Really though, the Stars will never be able to top these uniforms:

mike-modano.jpg

p1_modano3_all.jpg

For as much you go one and on about celebrating creative design you sure do seem attached to a design that, at the end of the day, ripped off an All Star Game template.

Also the numbers on both the sleeves and the back would sometimes overlap with the stripes. That, in and of itself, makes it a poor uniform choice.

Finally the star on the chest does not line up with the star pattern at the waist. It's a small thing but once you see it you cannot unsee it. It makes the whole thing look slapped together.

Those are great jerseys. I don't see why it's so important that the star striping aligns perfectly with the primary logo. They are both seperate design elements and how disjointed would the striping look if they italized it to match the logo... I also don't see why having the same design as a previous all star jersey is important either. They took a creative, unused template that was appropriate for the team namesake and gave it a far superior colour scheme. The result was one of the best looking jerseys of the 90's.

My thoughts exactly on the Stars. The star-pattern jerseys were original, creative, yet not overdone--even if the design was based off an All-Star jersey. You knew what team they were when you saw them. Isn't that one of the most important aspects of a uniform?

I'll agree on the numbers overlapping, but I think that it could be fixed, and that star pattern is the only style of jersey that I'd consider putting the "Dallas+[Number]" script on. While I it doesn't look like Stars management is looking in this direction nor that it would fit onto the Edge template bit for bit, here's my take on an updated Star-pattern jersey (once again):*

4994005495_ce5dd2c743_b.jpg

</shameless plug>

*Though I'd probably go back and do a different alternate jersey

Pyc5qRH.gifRDXvxFE.gif

usu-scarf_8549002219_o.png.b2c64cedbb44307eaace2cf7f96dd6b1.png

AKA @LanRovr0 on Twitter

LED Sig Credits to packerfan21396

I have a feeling that the current Star logo will be toast...

what gave you that feeling? the multiple and very public statements from the organization in this thread that next season, they will have a new logo?

The Stars have always embraced their Minnesota roots. Only minor changes were made to the uniform when they made the move to Dallas. The same cannot be said about Colorado, Carolina, or Phoenix. The Stars are similar to Calgary in that they kept the same team name (more or less since NORTH Stars would not fit with a team from the South) when the move was made.

thank you. the stars are like the dodgers, colts, lakers, flames, jazz, etc. not like the ravens, avalanche, coyotes, pelicans, or jets. some people don't seem to get that.

I think the proper example of a team playing dressup would be if the Wild suddenly adopted retro uniforms that look like the Northstars.

VERY well said, however everyone seems to be willing to ignore that Minnesota's hockey team never even played in the 1900's, and has a name that is largely considered an adjective more than a noun. "they had NHL hockey when i was a kid, or slightly before. therefor they're traditional and get a free pass. there's no ice in texas, so they should only get an AHL team, called the IceSteerz... they better wear texas colors too!" the stars of minnesota are now the stars of dallas... and next time you see the little patch on their sweaters that says 20 years in dallas, remember that they only played 26 in minnesota. they're just as much as our team as minnesota's, if not more. due to the fact that.. you know.... they play here and won a cup here. in green and gold.

Am I the only one who thinks people are defending the Stars reverting to their North Stars look because they're attached to that look and afraid to see it die? Truth is the North Stars had probably the best uniforms ever to grace NHL ice but as Lights Out pointed out, certain franchises rooting from historic ones have taken on a newer appropriate look for the fans in their current city. I'm not gonna pretend like its okay to give exceptions

how is green and gold traditional striping not an "appropriate look for the fans in their current city?" the stars openly discussed changing uniform colors for the past year. to something navy blue based and more "texasy." FAN BACKLASH is what made them reconsider and stick to green with traditional sweaters. they're listening to dallas stars fans, who buy just as much north stars gear as black "DALLAS" gear. this is what the fans want. maybe the stars fanbase is just a hipster elitist group that wants to be retro, but ever since reebok changed our sweaters, we've been begging for a return to green and gold and a traditional template with a primary logo on the chest.

very few people in dallas are even FROM dallas... look at population numbers in the 70's and 80's compared to now. i was born in massachusetts to parents from alabama. my wife is from new york via ottawa. maybe that's why the whole relocated team concept isn't a travesty to us. they are dallas's team, but that doesn't mean we want to disown the history and heritage of the franchise. we were gifted an amazing franchise 20 years ago, and we don't want to wipe the slate clean to cheer for a glorified "fort worth brahmas" identity.

the stars are still the stars, even though they moved from bloomington to dallas. just like i'm still cole jones, even though i've moved around quite a bit as well. the stars are a big part of minnesota's hockey history, just as they're a big part of texas's hockey present and future. it's a shared history now, and this team has every right to dip into it for inspiration on new uniforms.

that said, no one ever said that the new uniforms would definitely be based on north stars uniforms. all we know is that there will be a new logo, featuring the letter D and a star (i've heard overlapped) with no arrows pointing in any direction or anything silly like that to get people ruffled about... we also know that the new sweaters will be primarily "celtics green" as mike heika called it (though a quick look at SSUR confirms that the celtics wear the same green as the north stars, and the same shade of green the dallas stars wore in 1993-94).

gaglardi said he wants it to stand the test of time and look like a traditional hockey sweater that fits in with the bruins, canadiens, and blackhawks of the world. and i've heard that every prototype had draw-strings. even the prototypes of navy blue and green, and red/white/blue.

i'd expect us to keep the metallic gold and not switch to athletic gold, but i might be wrong on that. and i'd also assume we're keeping black, but i haven't heard for sure.

kelly and metallic gold can look gorgeous together, imo. just look at baylor or the celtics st. patty's jerseys.

as a stars fan, i'm very excited. i love the current logo, as it's been an every-day part of my life since i was 9 years old... but i'm confident that this new era of stars hockey is going to be a bright one, with a look i can finally be proud of for the first time since about 2002.

maybe the stars fanbase is just a hipster elitist group

I will say that I have heard someone playing "Tell 'Em" by Sleigh Bells during stoppages. I thought that was pretty cool. More teams should play that.

Also, while I would never wish anything so gauche as "IceSteerz" on Dallas hockey fans, it would have been nice if the North Stars had been protected at all costs (like the league would ever do that for a team, right) and Dallas got an expansion team to grow with instead of a fad to abandon.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Seems this is just going to be a cycle, as with most sports teams anyway. Whatever direction the Stars may choose to go in, years from now we'll probably be hearing cries for yet another makeover. Though I'll just wait and see what they trot out and hopefully be wrong.

I've enjoyed these discussions on branding. It's such a touchy subject and ultimately is the biggest visual factor that connects fans to their respective teams.

Midway.png

I've always been a fan of those Stars jerseys. I don't think the fact that the star of the pattern isn't oriented like the star in the logo is a problem at all. Nor do I see the numbers overlapping the stripes being an issue either, as there have been a lot of jerseys with overlapping numbers (including two of my personal favorites, the Mighty Ducks original set and the Capital's "swooping eagle" jersey. Hell, the Canadiens have had numbers overlapping stripes for over a century now, and even the Blackhawks have has some sweet vintage jerseys with overlapping numbers!

champssig2.png
Follow me on Twitter if you care: @Animal_Clans.

My opinion may or may not be the same as yours. The choice is up to you.

Who says they were trying "trying to line the stars up?" Hockey crests are not meant to be incased inside their respective striping pattern. They are two seperate illustrations of stars. Kind of like the original Avalanche jerseys had two seperate renditions of montains with their logo and striping.

Anyhow the suspense for these new Stars jerseys is killing me. I will cry if they are pushed back another season. The Stars have been promising a green jersey for over 3 years now. Lets see the things already!

the problem with the promises of a green jersey have everything to do with management.

when it started, we were owned by tom hicks with a 2-headed gm monster of les jackson/brett hull. then hulljack was fired and tom hicks lost control of the team to his lenders. then tom gaglardi bought the team with joe nieuwendyk as the general manager.

finally we have enough consistency in the front office to even consider filing paperwork for a change in uniform.

Hell, the Canadiens have had numbers overlapping stripes for over a century now, and even the Blackhawks have has some sweet vintage jerseys with overlapping numbers!

Chest stripes and numbers overlapping them them aren't the same thing as numbers overlapping hem and arm stripes. At all.

Who says they were trying "trying to line the stars up?" Hockey crests are not meant to be incased inside their respective striping pattern. They are two seperate illustrations of stars. Kind of like the original Avalanche jerseys had two seperate renditions of montains with their logo and striping.

Try to justify it all you want. It's visually jarring to me. That's about the size of it.

What's next? The Rangers shouldn't be wearing diagonal script because it's "boring"?

Given that this is a conversation with Lights Out, I'm guessing the answer is "Yes".

And you're spot-on with your analysis of the "star" sweaters. Dallas really hasn't had a great look since they moved south, but their initial go at it, with kelly green and "DALLAS" down the pants stripe, was probably their best.

As far as the Stars and their time here in North Texas goes, I'll take the Cup sweaters over anything else they had, which wasn't much.

Maybe I'll change my mind when the new look comes next year. Until then....

Dallas%20Stars%20-%20Tait%20Away%20Jersey.gif

I'll stick with these.

I've been a Stars fan since 79' and I tell you that is my favourite uniform since the "N" uniforms that the North Stars wore. Why they changed it is beyond me. How in the Hell do you go from a great design like that to a bland basketball jersey wannabe look like they have now?

Saying all that these are by far my favourite North Star jerseys. I love that early 80s look. Thats the North Stars that I was the most close too.

20100622_021526_Dino%20Ciccarelli%202_300.jpg

It wouldn't shock me if we saw something like that next season...

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

http://bleacherrepor...-be-resurrected

It's Bleacher Report, so have the barf bags ready. Some of them I agree with, others make me want to smack whoever wrote this.

I've always wanted the Isles to somehow slap on a recoloured lighthouse on their uniform or something.

I don't understand why any of the Jets' logos are considered to be classic or even remotely good-looking (aside from sentimental value). While the current Jets don't have a spectacular logo, I'm glad they didn't feel the need to bring back the dated Jets logos from the past.

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

Archived