2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

source_431_24877.jpg

I loved this thing. The non-matching arm and hem stripes did always bother me though.

Their new one is absolutely hideous. The burgundy yokes don't look well against the blue primary.

The biggest thing this uniform had going for it was that the black pants actually looked like they belonged, instead of looking like the equipment managers forgot the regular helmets and pants so they dug these out of the storage closet. They could've come up with something a little more original than the diagonal wordmark though.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'm definitely seeing what others were talking about with the call for a rounded yoke. It's just that close from as perfect a Wild away sweater as you can get.

Well, that, and a more original shoulder patch would be nice.

WHO DOESN'T LOVE ROUNDELS?!

SigReflect.png

I like the mountain pattern of the old Aves sweaters, but I hate the team's two logos. infrared/Greg hit the nail on the head when he said that the Aves' primary looks like the logo to a kind of pop you'd find next to a Mountain Dew at a 7-Eleven. And the foot? The foot just looks ridiculous to me. So as much as I think the mountain striping is cool I can't fully commit to those sweaters because of the logos they insisted on throwing on them.

The burgundy alternate with the diagonal "COLORADO" though? The striping was classy and traditional, but the unique colours the Aves use kept it from infringing on another team's look. The diagonal lettering meant neither of the team's horrid (in my opinion) logos were showcased. As for the primary on the shoulders? Of the two Aves logos, I'd probably pick the primary over the foot, so they chose their least offensive logo to use in a lesser capacity. All in all I had no complaints.

I've yet to see any soft drink come up with a logo as good as the Avalanche Primary. That logo's only real problem is the unnecessary circle. I think it's actually quite clever, a puck avalanching down a mountain in the shape of an A. The secondary logo is not a foot, it's a Yeti footprint which connects to the mountain stripe motif perfectly. Making the footprint silver is also a stroke of genius as it shimmers like the snow it would be imprinted in.

First off, it's an opinion. You like it? Great. I don't, and that factors into my opinion of the Aves' pre-Edge primaries.

As for the foot? Yeah, I know it's supposed to be a yeti footprint, but a yeti doesn't make much sense in a North American context. The North American version is Bigfoot, which isn't as synonymous with mountains and snow as the Asian yeti is. Plus I just think it looks goofy.

The Nords' look could be called many things. "Generic" is not one of them.

Maybe not the jerseys but the logo definitely is. I don't know what school of design would call the Nordiques logo superior to any of the Avalanche' marks.

I wouldn't call the Nords' logo generic at all. It's got a very specific style. I'm not saying you have to like it, just that generic probably isn't the best way to describe it.

How that Leafs jersey is not used 41 times a year is beyond me. It's beautiful and puts their current one to shame.

Totally agree

Lots if nice shots of old time stars, Jean Béliveau, Stan Mikita, Bobby Hull, Bobby Orr, maybe some other I didnt recognize. Probably Jacques Plante with his mask? Many good images of old Gump in the goals. Awesome.

All recorded in the old MTL Forum. Thanks for the link.

If the Canucks had the kind of team in the early 80s like what they've had in the early 2000s and early 2010s, their Flying Vs would have been one of the top selling jerseys. Success covers up bad designs. If the Avalanche had horrible teams like their Denver predecessors, the Colorado Rockies, their uniforms would've gotten the kind of ridicule it rightfully deserved.

Hockey teams should wear hockey uniforms(ie. Quebec Nordiques, Colorado Rockies, '13-'14 Dallas Stars), not lacrosse uniforms(ie. Avalanche, '99 Dallas Stars, Atlanta Thrashers) . The Avalanche 'A-mountain' crest is sharp and the burgundy and powder blue look great together. However, the garish font, unnecessary black, and the overkill on the mountain design ruined what could have been a great uniform, no matter how much or little on-ice success.

I see absolutely nothing wrong with the set the Avalanche wore from their inaugural year to the introduction of the Edge Uniform System. If any team has the right to have angled mountain range stripes, metallic stitching and a 4 colour palette, it's a team that originated in 1996. The Nordiques logo was mind numbingly awful and it's not like there was any history of success behind it or their jerseys. The Avalanche on the other hand lifted the cup twice in their pre-edge look (albeit with slightly different shades of burgundy) with legends like Patrick Roy, Joe Sakic, Ray Bourque and Peter Forsberg.

I don't see how success makes awful designs like Islanders untouchable while people clamour for the Avalanche to adopt generic, 3 colour garbage with a lace up collar and likely a roundel cause their established look isn't "retro" enough. Even more perplexing is the fact their alternate jerseys, which couldn't have taken more than 20 minutes to design, receive near universal acclaim... Time to take off the retro goggles.

The 1990s was the beginning of bad hockey uniforms, whether it was BFBS, using 5 to 6 colours at one time, and/or using a constant train wreck of angled/wavy striping. When you say awful designs like the Islanders, then you must think a unform like the Sabres' classic is awful. As for the Nordiques, yes, it took me forever to figure out that their crest was on "Igloo N", but nevertheless, that was the Nordiques true identity. Their logo and uniform matchup versus the Canadiens' look in the Battle of Quebec was beautiful - The Igloo N vs the CH.

The Nords never did win a Stanley Cup but they have been to two conference finals with legends like the Stastny brothers, with Peter being one of the best centres in the game and the best left-winger of his time, Michel Goulet. They also won an Avco Cup championship in the WHA back in '77.

Morgo, I have a ton of respect for the your beautiful artwork and concepts. However, telling me to "take off the retro goggles" when I know what a good hockey uniform is, is condescending and disrespectful. I've followed hockey and other sports for 35 years and I know what I like and what I don't like. I simply don't like modern futuristic looks. They look too busy and tacky for my taste.

Agreed. It's the Leafs look, in my opinion.

Beautiful, yes. However, I'd say this is "the" Leafs look:

bill-barilko.jpg?w=600&h=560

The 62-63 leafs home were this but in blue in the end.

http://www.nhluniforms.com/MapleLeafs/MapleLeafs16.html

It always looks odd to me when I see a pic of that uniform. The Barilko leaf will always be associated with the sans-yoke look I posted above, and the blue yoke is associated with the 1963-67 leaf from their old alternate jerseys (at least in my mind, anyways). It's kinda-sorta like when you see the Isles classic logo with the Fishsticks striping. "Logos in the wrong uniforms", if you will.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

The Next Wave jerseys were designed for optimal performance on the ice. The jerseys use the Reebok Play-Dry Stretch Fabric for comfort and for temperature control. To decrease the weight of the jersey, the teal shoulder cap was removed. The popular jumping Shark patch will remain on the shoulder. Even more weight was cut out by removing the stripes on the body of the jersey.

The away jersey is unfettered, with the Pacific Teal contrasting against the white fabric. Orange accents were removed from the lettering and numbering as well as the arm stripes. The classic crest logo will still be the centerpiece of the jersey.

To complete a classic look, neckline lacing was added and neckline striping was removed.

Clean, classic, bold and designed for performance, the Next Wave jerseys will help take the Sharks to the next level this season and many to come.

This team jerks itself off over the stupidest crap. Go hang another First Place In The Conference banner, you dorks.

Well, now we know why the Sharks will never win. They worry more about improving a jersey than they do a team. Here's a thought, just put a bunch of good players who can get it done in the playoffs in a jersey with a bunch of stripes, logo, and numbers on it, and stop believing the b.s. that uniform manufacturers keep telling you. Ain't no jersey ever made a player better. Only a player can make a jersey better. I realize this is a novel concept for the Sharks franchise who fired Dean Lombardi and Darryl Sutter...

After seeing bits of the Sharks/Ducks game in San Jose last night, that teal home jersey is just begging for a hem stripe. The white version works for some reason, but that home really needs something else on it.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Morgo, I have a ton of respect for the your beautiful artwork and concepts. However, telling me to "take off the retro goggles" when I know what a good hockey uniform is, is condescending and disrespectful. I've followed hockey and other sports for 35 years and I know what I like and what I don't like. I simply don't like modern futuristic looks. They look too busy and tacky for my taste.

Sorry dude

That statement wasn't directed to you personally, rather the retro trends in general, but point taken. Uniforms are subjective and you certainly are entitled to your opinion (as is Ice Cap). Didn't mean to sound condescending, I'm just very passionate about what I like.

The most recent NHL 14 roster update has unlocked the jerseys that were already released; besides Buffalo's, which I don't see why it wouldn't.... unless Buffalo pulled a massive trolling on the hockey world and the third jersey that we saw is fake.

A guy can dream, but I actually don't see why it wouldn't have been unlocked with the others.

Calgary's is still locked though.

IbjBaeE.png

I know the Stars are trying to sell us on the green not being Kelly Green, but after watching highlights, maybe its the lighting, but that green is bright and it really pops....and that isnt a bad thing. Now if they could only get some green in the gloves, green helmets at home, star patterned North Star-style pants, and the the Texas shoulder patch, we would be in good shape.

n193600158_30266861_5084.jpg

UserBar_CCSLC.jpg

Archived