2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

I still fail to see how the Mighty Ducks logo...

1.gif

...is 1) considered garbage. I will argue it's a finely drawn, designed, and rendered. Symmetrical. Simple. Bold... and 2) is any more cartoonish than any of these (especially design-wise of the first three):

174.gifdmo1xf3z4pph27vmg3gf.gif17.giflvchw3qfsun2e7oc02kh2zxb6.gif

And Mike (Ice_Cap for the uninitiated, but we are initiated, aren't we Mike?), I normally hate correcting you, but I do like correcting you when it comes to matters of the Mighty Ducks ( :P ). The team was NOT named after the cartoon series. That came later. And crass? I really don't see how it could be called "crass"

Look, like Morgo pointed out, I'll agree now that the "Mighty" part, despite it being my namesake, was dumb. If they kept the eggplant/jade look with simply the Ducks name, I'd be ok with it, and I do wonder whether the rest of you would have been fine with that compromise?

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Ah yes, I forgot that the cartoon came later. Still, it was part of the cycle of using the team to shill Disney entertainment :P

As for the Mighty Ducks' mask logo, and its cartoon nature in relation to other logos? Well the Sharks' new logo DOES look like an anime character, but I'm not sure if I see it on the same level as, say, the Penguins' logo. Both logos are inherently silly concepts, but I think what makes the Mighty Ducks' mark more cartoony to me is that the mask is shaped to fit over a cartoon duck's face. The skating penguin, for all of its silliness, doesn't have wing or flipper shaped gloves and skates. A silly distinction, but that's the best way I can articulate why one's ok with me while the other isn't, at least when it's nearly 12:00.

Also the skating penguin wasn't tied into a media franchise. I think that's what gets me more then the actual design of the duck mask logo itself. It's just so...corporate. Like the team was just another advertising wing of Disney.

The Mighty Ducks name, however, was the worst offender. More so then the dated 90s scheme. More so then the cartoony and corporate logo. "Mighty Ducks" just sounded, well, childish. And I get that they were appealing to children. Long term though? It was never a viable name. I'm happy...no, relieved, that this name was never engraved on the Stanley Cup.

I could live with the duck mask logo and the old colour scheme if the "Mighty Ducks" name was dropped. I may not like the colours or logos, but that name....that was worst of it. If anything about that identity needed to go, the name was it. The team simply outgrew it.

And, in my opinion, the team outgrew the duck mask logo as well. Zach, you just never learnt to do what was necessary ;)

I still fail to see how the Mighty Ducks logo...

1.gif

...is 1) considered garbage. I will argue it's a finely drawn, designed, and rendered. Symmetrical. Simple. Bold... and 2) is any more cartoonish than any of these (especially design-wise of the first three):

174.gifdmo1xf3z4pph27vmg3gf.gif17.giflvchw3qfsun2e7oc02kh2zxb6.gif

And Mike (Ice_Cap for the uninitiated, but we are initiated, aren't we Mike?)

6gPwjxp.jpg

But more to the point, none of those logos are symmetrical. THIS is a symmetrical logo:

batman-logo-big.gif

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I still don't know why this isn't doable with sublimation:
BSEu_oTCcAEHuW_.jpg

I feel with the amount of chatter or smack about the Sharks I feel I need to chime in here.

First off, with former CCSLCer in question, that person does not represent the typical Sharks fan... We could go on and on about the fan base, but I'll leave it at that. Moving on...

As for management miscues, a lot of those came with Lombardi at the helm or part of it. After firing the team's general manager after the inaugural season, because he know he made crucial mistakes that would hinder the growth of the team, Lombardi was part of a three headed monster making roster moves. Lombardi drafted Teemu Riihijarvi with his first round pick in the 1995 NHL Draft. Riihijarvi never made it over to North America to play in San Jose. Management has made some stupid mistakes, but Lombardi firing Sutter a quarter way into the season after he botched not signing his top goalie (thinking he had better diamonds in the rough in a then-talent laden minor league system.) and then decided to go on a massive fire sale leaving Doug Wilson to patch a team that eventually got within two wins of a Stanley Cup Final, and Notorious' "nightmare Cup Final"

After seeing the jerseys in action, including the teal jerseys in person, it's better, but still needs work. It's like the designer hit save in photoshop and then went oh crap, deadline is almost here I'll send this to them... In other words, it looks incomplete.

The road whites desperately need hem stripes, shoulder fins, and those brutacular front numbers to go.
The home teal jerseys look good despite needing the changes like the road white jerseys, but not bad overall.

To use the hem stripe, light weight reason is just pathetic. If that was the case, they should've gone with the prototype RBK came up for them years ago:
226792_10150178557926032_3587662_n.jpg

Again the whole no hem stripe because the sewing weighs down the jersey can be quickly be taken care of with sublimation.

As for the logo, I've seen better versions designed on here. Sharkachu needs to be updated.

2004 San Jose Sharks 7th Man Fan of the Year

San Jose Gold Miners - 4x Lombardi Cup Champions

As for the Mighty Ducks' mask logo, and its cartoon nature in relation to other logos? Well the Sharks' new logo DOES look like an anime character, but I'm not sure if I see it on the same level as, say, the Penguins' logo. Both logos are inherently silly concepts, but I think what makes the Mighty Ducks' mark more cartoony to me is that the mask is shaped to fit over a cartoon duck's face. The skating penguin, for all of its silliness, doesn't have wing or flipper shaped gloves and skates. A silly distinction, but that's the best way I can articulate why one's ok with me while the other isn't, at least when it's nearly 12:00.

Also the skating penguin wasn't tied into a media franchise. I think that's what gets me more then the actual design of the duck mask logo itself. It's just so...corporate. Like the team was just another advertising wing of Disney.

And, in my opinion, the team outgrew the duck mask logo as well. Zach, you just never learnt to do what was necessary ;)

So, if I can piece this together.... Basically, if not for the sheer fact that Disney owned the team, the Duck mask logo would be perfectly ok. Is that it? You don't actually hate the logo. You hate Disney. I think that's what I'm pulling out of that.... Also, just to keep this of note, the Mighty Ducks logo was designed for the team then inserted into the movie and cartoon show.

My own quick rant about the Mighty Ducks NHL hockey team and Disney properties and that whole bull :censored: forced synergy:

Despite being a fan, I'll argue to the death on the inclusion of the Mighty Ducks jerseys in D2/D3. They were Team USA made up with a majority or at least half of the kids not on the original D-5 Ducks. So 1) They can't just change jerseys midgame (or switch goalie's jerseys for that matter, but different argument). 2) Why would the other kids want to be the Ducks? They wouldn't have heard of some derpy peewee hockey team from Minnesota. What the hell do they care? 3) Why would they use the Mighty Ducks jerseys?!?! I guess in theory, the team would have existed in the NHL at this point (although, the arena for the Goodwill Games is called Anaheim Arena, and the Ducks never played there under the original name. It was the Pond when they started play), but why would they wear the NHL team's (the brand new barely even taken the ice team) jersey? These kids aren't from Anaheim. A couple are from LA, they'd be Kings fans. One is from Dallas, I assume he'd be a Stars fan. That whole concept was just so dumb. The Mighty Ducks in D2 is something I can't get into bed with Disney on. They should have kept the team and the movies separate. It wasn't about the actual Mighty Ducks like say Angels in the Outfield was. It was about a fictional Team USA for a fictional junior ice hockey tournament against a gaggle of fictional teams. And still, unless they were referencing the actual team at any point (which they don't until Paul Kariya got shoved into D3... ugh...), there should have been ZERO connection. And in D3, it makes a little sense after what happens in D2, but it shouldn't have happened in D2 in the first place... so there.)

And you think it's silly that a goalie mask has been fitted for a duck's face? I think it's silly that that penguin has fingers for hockey gloves, longer legs to give him a skating stride instead of a waddle, expressioned eyebrows, and a muscular frame. How is giving an animal human features sillier than fitting equipment to the animal? If the Pittsburgh Penguins were owned by an entertainment conglomerate, I have no doubts they'd try to shill off a anthropomorphic hockey-playing penguin show and cut Disney off at the pass.

And the duck mask logo is so corporate? ...um ...I think you dropped this over there:

MLSE_logo.jpg

And if the team was simply there to advertise Disney's other crap, the Mighty Ducks movies would have been like the Air Bud movies at this point. You might have had people come to the NHL franchise because of the movie/cartoon franchise, but doubt it was the same sort of impact in the other direction. (Unless you were childhood me who loved any and everything Mighty Ducks and watched the cartoon show specifically for that reason.) You could sell me on Disney trying to sell the Anaheim-as-a-destination thing, because they did it with the Angels. I get that much. (Even though I think "Disneyland Resort" pretty much sells itself, but whatever. Anaheim Angels/Ducks happened.) But I don't think the team as a vehicle itself drove more interest toward the media properties.

And honestly, if the logo had stayed through the name change, I think the look would have endured. Maybe it gets a Sharks/Senators-esque modernization or something like that, but I don't think it needs one. The logo works, IMO. You can either take that as my own bias or me as someone who is a logo and sports design enthusiast, but that's my take.

---

And Andy, when I said symmetrical, I was only referring to the Mighty Ducks logo. And besides the mask part, everything else is symmetrical. Cross-sticks, circle/puck, triangle. And the mask doesn't protrude all that far from the circle. It's as centered and even as it could really get. (Plus the mask from the front is just goofy. Now the shoulder patch of those jerseys, sure, pretty cartoony. I'll give you that part.)

The mighty ducks logo has always been in my eyes a technically brilliant logo with only a 1 slight flaw (imo), which is the stroke around the triangle being thinner than the stroke that is around the ends of the sicks. It should be thick the whole way around.

The only issue with the Might Ducks logo is the Disney link, and they had to grow up. It's a shame but it had to happen. I don't like having a Disney team in a professional league.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The webbed D is miles more dynamic and professional looking than a cartoon duck mask plastered over a yep, you guessed it, triangle logo. With crossed hockey sticks to boot.

This doesn't mean I dislike the mighty ducks logo, I just don't think it's as sharp or as clever as a webbed foot that also happens to resemble the letter D. I've read somewhere that the best designs convey the most amount of imagery with the least amount of design and the case is clearly evident here.

Midway.png

I love the Mighty Ducks logo and jerseys. Granted, I named my dog Bombay when I was little and have seen the movies a thousand times so it's hard to be unbiased, but I'd want to see those uniforms brought back full time while dropping "Mighty" from the name. Great, unique color combo and a modern striping pattern that still looked good. I think it's the perfect look for a 90s expansion team.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

The mighty ducks logo has always been in my eyes a technically brilliant logo with only a 1 slight flaw (imo), which is the stroke around the triangle being thinner than the stroke that is around the ends of the sicks. It should be thick the whole way around.

There's a variation of the logo that does just that. Only, the stroke is white. It wasn't ever used on the jerseys (at least not outside of the Starter replicas, as seen in the climax of D3 The Mighty Ducks) but it was used on other merchandise more often.

Well...according to this link, the Ducks will not make the 3rd their primary jersey anytime soon...

http://news.sportslogos.net/2013/09/23/anaheim-ducks-swap-primary-logo-with-alternate-for-2014/

Despite the logo designation swap the Ducks are not planning on putting the “D” logo on the home and road jerseys anytime soon, for now she’ll continue to live front-and-center on the alternate.

That just means, they're not swapping the logos around on the uniforms. "Anytime soon" could simply mean "This upcoming season" for all we know.

--

And now for my obligatory Ducks logo rant, in the spoiler tag.

I don't deny that I have nostalgia for the old look - although it'd be more accurate if I said I'm still attached to it. The old logo I still love and absolutely feel is a great hockey logo. Like Morgo said, it's instantly recognisable - and I'd argue that it's the most recognisable hockey logo in the world. But, granted, that is more to do with the movies than the NHL team. And while I have stated my disdain for the connection to the movies in the past, chances are without that connection I wouldn't have even become a Ducks fan in the first place, let alone a hockey fan. Although my interest is more rooted in the animated series, and I don't really have the nostalgia for the movies that everyone else has because I never saw them until my early teens - and even then, I only got into a phase where I was watching them over and over again because I'd just become a fan of the NHL team.

At first, I hated the rebrand. I was happy that they retained the Ducks name, but I felt like a part of my soul had died as everything else was gone forever. Being an international fan I never got to go to a game with them wearing the old uniform, and I likely never will, and I think that's what I'm most bitter about. Soon as they hit the ice in the new uniforms, they started to grow on me fast. Dare I say it, I actually liked those jerseys. And then they went and won the Cup in them. Awesome.

Then I started seeing the glaring flaws with the current identity. The script being the biggest. The fact that it was tiny on the initial Edge uniform. On things like banners, it's tiny and unreadable from a distance. It makes for boring merchandise, especially on t-shirts or hats using both the wordmark logo and a generic script with the name, so you'd have a redundant design that reads "Anaheim Ducks Anaheim Ducks". The Ducks identity was made up entirely of script logos - and as a sports logo enthusiast, that made being a fan of this team depressing. Then the colour scheme, with a metallic gold colour that looks like a dull brown on flat images, and a nice bright orange colour which disappears on the uniforms because there isn't enough of it. Just an overall dull and depressing look.

Things only started getting better when the third jersey came along. They finally had a visually interesting jersey for the first time in four or five years. Orange is used much more effectively here. The d-foot is front and centre, and best of all, they finally have a real secondary mark in the duck mask returning as a shoulder patch. And now after a slow and gradual introduction that d-foot logo on its own is finally considered the primary. I'd like the duck mask back as the primary as much as anyone, but I'm also happy with it as a secondary mark. Stick that thing on a new third jersey - which will likely be the outdoor game sweater - and I will be one very happy fan.

And yes, the webfoot D has grown on me. I don't like it as much as the duck mask, but I'm still OK with it. It's a neat logo, and it fits with the location very well. It's simple, and it's clever. It's got both a modern and a classic feel to it. It wouldn't look out of place on a modern jersey, a traditional sweater, or even a superhero outfit. My only problem - one that will hopefully fade over time - is that its simplicity is also its biggest flaw. "Where's the duck?" will always be the first question Mr. Average Joe the non-fan will ask. You have to explain what it is. You have to be in the know to understand what it's supposed to be. It feels like they wanted the Cowboys Effect, where you see it and know instantly which team it belongs to despite it having no real resemblance to the namesake. If this logo can stand up to the test of time, and if they finally, finally bin the wordmark logo for good, maybe they'll get there someday.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The logo is Disney style artwork, but was designed for use by the team before the movies ever used the logo or eggplant or jade. The logo is a fantastic and iconic logo that I would like to see brought back. I don't care which color scheme.

They should remain the Anaheim Ducks regardless. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim is horrific.

If I didn't hate the team so much from the Stars time in the Pacific, I'd probably buy something with that logo on there. Its just visually appealing to me and brings back great memories of playing hockey on my Sega as a kid.

The logo is Disney style artwork, but was designed for use by the team before the movies ever used the logo or eggplant or jade. The logo is a fantastic and iconic logo that I would like to see brought back. I don't care which color scheme.

They should remain the Anaheim Ducks regardless. Mighty Ducks of Anaheim is horrific.

If I didn't hate the team so much from the Stars time in the Pacific, I'd probably buy something with that logo on there. Its just visually appealing to me and brings back great memories of playing hockey on my Sega as a kid.

I tend to agree that the mask is a great logo and I feel they could have continued to use it as the memory of the Mighty Ducks sequels faded.

There is no reason they could not have kept the logo and changed their name to "Anaheim Ducks". I personally don't love the eggplant color, but at least it is unique in a league that seems to shy away from unique colors.

I do prefer the present because "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" is such a bad name. It's a bad enough name that I'd rather have their current uninspired look if that's what it takes to dump it (though it should not be what it takes).

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

I still don't know why this isn't doable with sublimation:

BSEu_oTCcAEHuW_.jpg

I feel with the amount of chatter or smack about the Sharks I feel I need to chime in here.

First off, with former CCSLCer in question, that person does not represent the typical Sharks fan... We could go on and on about the fan base, but I'll leave it at that. Moving on...

As for management miscues, a lot of those came with Lombardi at the helm or part of it. After firing the team's general manager after the inaugural season, because he know he made crucial mistakes that would hinder the growth of the team, Lombardi was part of a three headed monster making roster moves. Lombardi drafted Teemu Riihijarvi with his first round pick in the 1995 NHL Draft. Riihijarvi never made it over to North America to play in San Jose. Management has made some stupid mistakes, but Lombardi firing Sutter a quarter way into the season after he botched not signing his top goalie (thinking he had better diamonds in the rough in a then-talent laden minor league system.) and then decided to go on a massive fire sale leaving Doug Wilson to patch a team that eventually got within two wins of a Stanley Cup Final, and Notorious' "nightmare Cup Final"

After seeing the jerseys in action, including the teal jerseys in person, it's better, but still needs work. It's like the designer hit save in photoshop and then went oh crap, deadline is almost here I'll send this to them... In other words, it looks incomplete.

The road whites desperately need hem stripes, shoulder fins, and those brutacular front numbers to go.

The home teal jerseys look good despite needing the changes like the road white jerseys, but not bad overall.

To use the hem stripe, light weight reason is just pathetic. If that was the case, they should've gone with the prototype RBK came up for them years ago:

226792_10150178557926032_3587662_n.jpg

Again the whole no hem stripe because the sewing weighs down the jersey can be quickly be taken care of with sublimation.

As for the logo, I've seen better versions designed on here. Sharkachu needs to be updated.

I don't like the Sharks new uniforms, but at least they didn't use that one. What an ugly prototype

The webbed D is miles more dynamic and professional looking than a cartoon duck mask plastered over a yep, you guessed it, triangle logo. With crossed hockey sticks to boot.

This doesn't mean I dislike the mighty ducks logo, I just don't think it's as sharp or as clever as a webbed foot that also happens to resemble the letter D. I've read somewhere that the best designs convey the most amount of imagery with the least amount of design and the case is clearly evident here.

I agree. The webbed foot "D" logo is just a much sharper logo then the Disney logo. The Disney logo looks like a Saturday morning cartoon, And while it worked for the Disney era and the silly "Mighty" Ducks name, it deserves to stay back in the past. The new logo and name "Ducks" just gives the team more of a credible look and image. I can take them more seriously as a sports team rather than a Disney team that was created for the sole purpose of promoting a movie brand.

Ducks works, "Mighty" Ducks doesn't. Now before people, say "Well, what about the "Penguins?". Well "Penguins" works. "Mighty" Penguins wouldn't. Its the "Mighty" part that makes the name come off as juvenile.

The Catch of the Day!

I can take them more seriously as a sports team rather than a Disney team that was created for the sole purpose of promoting a movie brand.

Again, that was NEVER Disney's motive for buying into the NHL.

Disney wanted two things. 1) Promote the city of Anaheim as a destination. 2) Buying the Angels along with the Ducks to have properties that it could use to build up a new regional sports network, ESPN West. Obviously, that never got too far off the ground and once it was no longer necessary, Disney sold both the franchises at the heights of their value to that point (after the Angels 2002 World Series win and after the Mighty Ducks 2003 Stanley Cup Final run.)

The movie released October of 1992. The team was awarded to Disney in December 1992. I doubt there was only two months of planning out into this. Disney wanted in either before or concurrently with the production of the first movie, not even knowing if it would be a success or not.

Production of the movie and the creation of the team have almost nothing to do with each other besides a parent company and the team name, which was chosen months after the movie became popular.

The logo is Disney style artwork, but was designed for use by the team before the movies ever used the logo or eggplant or jade.

That's right. The logo being created for the movies is a common misconception. If that were the case, the team likely wouldn't be allowed to use it today, or even at all in the first place. The mask is Disney-ish, yes, but not to the point where it's obviously one of their trademarked characters. If it were Donald Duck as opposed to a vaguely Donald-ish mask, we wouldn't even be talking about the Ducks using it today.

Like Morgo said, it's instantly recognisable - and I'd argue that it's the most recognisable hockey logo in the world.

I don't think so, Tim.

I'm fairly certain there are more people across the globe who have seen the Mighty Ducks movies than there are people who know of the Blackhawks.

mTBXgML.png

I'm fairly certain there are more people across the globe who have seen the Mighty Ducks movies than there are people who know of the Blackhawks.

proof, please.

Dunno about you, but I live in a country where hockey plays twenty second fiddle to the most popular sport. There's something of a community of ice hockey fans here, but in the grand scheme of things nobody cares. Then you'll get the crowd who suddenly claims to know everything about the game because The Mighty Ducks happened to be on TV last night, and sometimes fake an interest in the NHL because sports. That same crowd will kindly remind you that you're wearing a Mighty Ducks jersey out in public. The Blackhawks? If they know who they are, great. Otherwise, they're either a made up team whose logo only recently started appearing on Snapbacks, or they're the team from Chicago that plays hockey and isn't named the Bulls.

mTBXgML.png

What people fail to realize is that the Mighty Ducks logo NEVER appears in the first Mighty Ducks movie.

http://www.sportslogos.net/logos/view/1/Mighty_Ducks_of_Anaheim/1994/Primary_Logo

It's not until the end of D2: The Mighty Ducks, that they wear the logo and jerseys that would be used by the NHL franchise later that year (1994), on that ice. The use of the logo and jerseys was a pure marketing move by Disney to associate the movie with the NHL franchise, not the other way around.

With the move to the webfoot as the primary logo, the Ducks are all but confirming that a change is near for the home/away jerseys. The Ducks no longer need to utilize the "Anaheim Ducks" wordmark, as after 7 years, the team has done more than cement itself as the "Ducks" and no longer the "Mighty Ducks". They've reached a point that they can re-integrate pieces from the Mighty Ducks era, and this includes the logo that everybody but hockey week seems to love. The Ducks web-foot is not going anywhere and will be more prominent for the franchise with the obvious change to the home/away jerseys. Fans love the current third jerseys. Over the past two years, every piece of marketing or event the Ducks or Ducks players have done is with this jersey.

ZcIWjWQ.jpg

#AnaheimDucksGoooaaalll #LightThatLamp #DucksFlyTogether

#BlowKingsBlow #YoureAllQueens #SJSharts

Archived