2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

From a 1967 Leafs magazine, predictions for the state of hockey in 2000:

zxh95XU.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

And you know what, seeing them in person tonight (90s in game entertainment and all), there's nothing now that won't convince me those jerseys would not work today. Especially seeing it on the EDGE template. This game was flawlessly executed in every sense. Just beautiful. And even watching it back on TV right now, it's fantastic.

Tonight was one of my favorite nights of hockey ever.

Agreed. I've been grinning ear to ear all night. Couldn't experience it in person, but getting to watch this game live on a big screen was the next best thing, even if it was the Ottawa feed. Because it was damn near impossible to watch any games before they rebranded, this was my first time seeing these jerseys in action in a full length game. The win was just the icing on the cake :D

Hopefully they'll do this again in a few years time, in which case I'll make an effort to actually fly out there and watch the game. [/foreignfanprobz]

--

Much as I'd love them to, I don't see these being brought back full time. Maybe a partial alternate at the most, like what the Kings do with their purple and gold throwback. But even then it doesn't seem likely, despite the Mighty Ducks throwback being popular.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I'll be honest, those jerseys on the Edge template look better than the Ducks' current jerseys.

Yeah, I said it.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

I'll be honest, those jerseys on the Edge template look better than the Ducks' current jerseys.

Yeah, I said it.

I agree totally. Anything's better than black.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

i never had a problem with the ducks uniforms or logo. i just hated the name "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim."

when they dropped that in favor of "Anaheim Ducks," they did a complete redesign that wasn't really needed. the old uniforms weren't the problem. i just didn't like the idea of the name "Mighty Ducks of Anaheim" being on the same Cup as the Montreal Canadiens, Toronto Maple Leafs, and the like.

Anaheim Ducks fits just fine though. the duck mask is actually one of my favorite sports logos in history, despite my distaste for the franchise.

Pair the new name with the old uniforms and we're in business.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Sodboy, there actually is quite a bit of throwback merch from the pictures I have seen.

I wouldn't mind bringing back this or the white version as a 2nd alternate, but I would not like to see these return full time. 10 years ago, everyone hated these.

There's like two versions of throwback shirts, a couple hats, and the jerseys. There's some stuff, but not a whole lot. (And no Shirseys. Sorry, Sodboy.)

And what? These things were still great even 10 years ago. Everyone hated them? I know no one (outside of Ice Cap :P ) that hated them.

A lot of people I know said they remembered how all the other fans in the league hated them, but now for some reason, those fans now seem to like them. I also know of some Ducks fans, who really hate the Mighty Ducks jerseys. If you don't know anybody who hated them, you're being ignorant.

Yes. I, personally, in real life, face to face, honest to God, human interaction, do not know anyone that hated them. (Of course, I also don't consider Kings fans as "people" or even "humans" :P ). Now have I met every Ducks fan in existence? Of course not. And the internet is a whole different animal. You can find anyone to hate something. And like you said in a later post (and why Ice Cap doesn't like them), the reason most other fans in the league didn't like them is because of the Disney aspect. That's simple enough, and I understand it to a degree.

People now, "all of a sudden", seem to like them because of the nostalgia factor. People like the Nordiques, Whalers, North Stars, Golden Seals, hell, there's even some lost love for the Thrashers. It's something of the past that we can look on in a fond way and remember the old times. Not necessarily if they were good or even trendy, but that they were things from the past. And as I've seen on these boards, a lot of people on here were kids when the Mighty Ducks were still around, and of all types of nostalgia, childhood nostalgia of the simplest and almost usually carelessly happy times in a person's life.

That's one reason why I loved everything about the game tonight because it put me back into the place where my love of hockey was in its purest form. Tonight, I was just a kid watching hockey again. Sitting in that same seat in the Pond, wearing my eggplant and jade, yelling out for Guyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyyy Hebert and Stuuuuuuuuuuuuuuuu Grimson, watching the crappy animated opening vignettes on the jumbotron, Wild Wing repelling from the ceiling, 90s grunge on the arena soundsystem, and the Mighty Ducks of Anaheim playing hockey.

One thing I have noticed the past few days is a spike in Emilio and Goldberg jokes. I wouldn't be thrilled to go back to that, full time.

You and me both. Unfortunately, they'll forever be in style at Staples Center. :rolleyes:

Yeah, I said it.

After seeing it in person tonight, I can't say I disagree.

It just looked and felt so right. So good.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULBUSMNT | USWNTLAFC | OCSCMAN UTD |

Yeah the Ducks looked nice, but I don't love the old jerseys as much as everyone else seems to. They look kind of goofy (no pun intended) and I think I'd get bored of them really quickly if they stuck around. Honestly, and I know I'm in the minority, the new look and colours excite me more.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

What I like most about the Ducks throwback isn't just the nostalgic factor it's the presence of color. The Ducks, looking plainly at their colors and not the jerseys you think "wow, black, orange, and gold; those are cool colors!" Then you see the uniforms in execution and it's 90% black with splashes of color. Being virtually black from top to bottom is just too stark a contrast to the white on the ice for me. Couple that with the lame crest and weird stripes and it's disappointing.

I'd love to see a louder look for a franchise that has such a lighthearted origin and cartoonish iconography. It's not that they have to be goofy as hell but so much black on a hockey uniform sucks.

twitter

I love how Reebok told the Avs and Stars that they couldn't use their sweaters on the new template and now they're like "lol, I guess we can do sublimation for Anaheim"

Because we were all lied to, most likely, or they just were lazy and made teams choose among 7 templates to begin.

Sodboy, there actually is quite a bit of throwback merch from the pictures I have seen.

I wouldn't mind bringing back this or the white version as a 2nd alternate, but I would not like to see these return full time. 10 years ago, everyone hated these.

There's like two versions of throwback shirts, a couple hats, and the jerseys. There's some stuff, but not a whole lot. (And no Shirseys. Sorry, Sodboy.)

And what? These things were still great even 10 years ago. Everyone hated them? I know no one (outside of Ice Cap :P ) that hated them.

A lot of people I know said they remembered how all the other fans in the league hated them, but now for some reason, those fans now seem to like them. I also know of some Ducks fans, who really hate the Mighty Ducks jerseys. If you don't know anybody who hated them, you're being ignorant.

Here in Nova Scotia, everyone hated the switch. Especially during the time the Ducks were in the 2007 Stanley Cup Finals. Everyone refused to even acknowledge the Ducks as just 'the Ducks'. After they won the cup though, Mighty Ducks were put in the fade. However the jerseys are treated like godly level :censored: here. Anyone seen wearing one is definitely getting all the looks in the room.

You must be really popular if you know everyone in Nova Scotia.

Here in Nova Scotia, everyone hated the switch. Especially during the time the Ducks were in the 2007 Stanley Cup Finals. Everyone refused to even acknowledge the Ducks as just 'the Ducks'. After they won the cup though, Mighty Ducks were put in the fade. However the jerseys are treated like godly level :censored: here. Anyone seen wearing one is definitely getting all the looks in the room.

You must be really popular if you know everyone in Nova Scotia.

All twelve of them!

:D

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Now that this little turn back the clock night is over, lets hope that cartoonish logo and uniform is sent back into the past (1990s) where they belong alongside Rosanne Barr, Vanilla Ice, and Dennis Rodman.

Everyone in Nova Scotia and the ten people here that like them be damned.

The Catch of the Day!

Now that this little turn back the clock night is over, lets hope that cartoonish logo and uniform is sent back into the past (1990s) where they belong alongside Rosanne Barr, Vanilla Ice, and Dennis Rodman.

Everyone in Nova Scotia and the ten people here that like them be damned.

it's way more than that, im sure the majority at least miss the old color scheme if not like it more than the generic black and gold they wear now.

What I like most about the Ducks throwback isn't just the nostalgic factor it's the presence of color. The Ducks, looking plainly at their colors and not the jerseys you think "wow, black, orange, and gold; those are cool colors!" Then you see the uniforms in execution and it's 90% black with splashes of color. Being virtually black from top to bottom is just too stark a contrast to the white on the ice for me. Couple that with the lame crest and weird stripes and it's disappointing.

I'd love to see a louder look for a franchise that has such a lighthearted origin and cartoonish iconography. It's not that they have to be goofy as hell but so much black on a hockey uniform sucks.

I think you nailed it here for me. Sports are entertainment, and sometimes in the modern sports landscape, it appears that we take things a biiiiiiiiit too seriously. There's a place for cartoonishness and interesting color palettes, especially in a game that can be played by children.

It's not that the current looks is so bad, it's that it lacks any sort of character and charm. I realize it needs time to grow, and the D foot is solid, but it's OK to be a kid once in a while. I got the sense from thousands of miles away that the fans and players and team really bought into this concept, at least for one night.

Back to your regularly scheduled programs...

Archived