2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I don't even have to post and I'm the go-to guy when it comes to examples of people that hate the Mighty Ducks look :D

Sodboy, there actually is quite a bit of throwback merch from the pictures I have seen.

I wouldn't mind bringing back this or the white version as a 2nd alternate, but I would not like to see these return full time. 10 years ago, everyone hated these.

And what? These things were still great even 10 years ago. Everyone hated them? I know no one (outside of Ice Cap :P ) that hated them.

I know you're speaking in terms of face-to-face interactions, and the intenet is a different thing all together, but there was more then just me here that applauded the team's change in identity. Chris Creamer himself, if I remember correctly, was one of the others besides myself who was happy to see the Ducks go with a new look. Heck, I wasn't even the only one in my family who was happy to see the Mighty Ducks' look get phased out.

I'm guessing most people were annoyed that this little disney joke of a franchise (to them) was trying to act more professional.

Actually it was the opposite for me. I liked it because the franchise seemed to be growing up. If anything the Mighty Ducks look struck me as adolcent, like how a teen will do something just to "shock" people. Like "yeah we're named after a Disney movie, WHAT DO YOU THINK ABOUT THAT?"

And yes, I know that's not the message the team was trying to send during the Mighty Ducks years, but it's already a strained metaphor at this point.

I've never been a fan of the black/gold/orange look. I've missed these uniquely colored uniforms.

With the Angels primed to go to just "Los Angeles" it leaves the Ducks as the only team in Anahiem actually using the Anaheim name. In that context I think it's only right that the Ducks keep a bit of orange in their scheme.

ANYHOW those points addressed I actually didn't mind this throwback. It's an anniversary celebration. I'm ok with even the worst uniform of all time being thrown back to (and for the record I do not consider the Mighty Ducks' uniforms to the be the worst of all time) if it's part of an anniversary celebration. It's not about the look itself, it's about celebrating history. And for better or worse these uniforms are part of the Ducks' history. I didn't watch the game (the Leafs and Oilers had my attention), but I even got a bit of a warm, fuzzy feeling watching the highlights. This was the look the Ducks wore when I was a kid, so there was a bit of nostalgia that came with watching them look like that again, regardless of what I think of the uniforms themselves. Of course the Senators ruined the effect by wearing their current Edge atrocities, but leave it to the Ottawa Senators to ruin a good thing :P

For all the hype about throwback night, it's really too bad that the Ducks will probably never wear their best look again:

KKMAeAs.png

I couldn't disagree more. The sleeve stripes running through the TV numbers are enough to make me not like these, but there's also the bad number font, the shimmer dazzle fabric, horrendous Nike collars, and the 90's practice of using too many colors and using all of the colors everywhere. These use jade (teal), eggplant (purple), gray (silver), yellow, and black. That's two too many colors working on the same uniform.

This was the best Mighty Ducks uniform.

Paul-Kariya-Nashville-Predators-Anaheim-

First of all, it's sharp as hell and pleasing to look at. For a sport that's played on ice that cool (in the color sense, not the "kewl" sense) teal/jade color was perfect and it's balanced so well on this set with the purple pants. The two colors work so well together in size and contrast, and the gray is a perfect accent.

It took itself seriously enough to stay within the confines of accepted hockey aesthetics (the block font with double outlines is a good example of this. They could've gone with a wacky, "90's radical" font like they did on the failed 3rd uniforms, but they made the solid, professional choice.). At the same time, though, the uniform was still fun with the colors, logos, and the angled stripes. It also didn't overwhelm your eye with the eggplant color like the dark uniforms did. It lived right there in the space between absurdity (the aforementioned thirds) and boring/derivative/character devoid uniforms (the late black thirds).

I currently have a white #8 Selanne hanging in my closet and it's one of my favorite jerseys I own and I'm not a guy who typically buys jerseys of teams I don't root for.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I've never been a fan of the black/gold/orange look. I've missed these uniquely colored uniforms.

With the Angels primed to go to just "Los Angeles" it leaves the Ducks as the only team in Anahiem actually using the Anaheim name. In that context I think it's only right that the Ducks keep a bit of orange in their scheme.

I'd be more into that idea if the team was called the "Orange County Ducks".

As it is, I actually think their current colors are incongruous with Anaheim and southern California. Black is the complete opposite of sunshine, and when paired with orange and gold it gives off this autumnal vibe that I don't associate with southern california.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Well I won't lie, I would have preferred the original colour scheme of forest green, orange, and gold/tan.

When it comes to evoking southern California, however, I don't see how jade and eggplant qualifies. They seem so typical of the 90s. The team could have been based anywhere and still gone with those colours because, hey, it was the 90s. Purple and teal, and all variations of that scheme, were in.

It's also worth noting that the Kings seemed to have finally embraced silver and black, which doesn't exactly call sunshine to mind either. It actually creates a neat balance with the Ducks. Black and silver vs black and gold. Kind of like how the Dodgers and Angels have the whole red vs blue thing going on.

To each his own, I guess. I happened to like the striping on those thirds, it was a unique spin on the traditional shoulder yoke. I also like the emphasis on teal instead of eggplant, as purple should be the Kings' main color. And I've never been a fan of the diagonal striping in any of its iterations, it just looks clunky to me.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

For all the hype about throwback night, it's really too bad that the Ducks will probably never wear their best look again:

KKMAeAs.png

I couldn't disagree more. The sleeve stripes running through the TV numbers are enough to make me not like these, but there's also the bad number font, the shimmer dazzle fabric, horrendous Nike collars, and the 90's practice of using too many colors and using all of the colors everywhere. These use jade (teal), eggplant (purple), gray (silver), yellow, and black. That's two too many colors working on the same uniform.

I thought the vertical striped Ducks jerseys were awesome. I have an authentic white one hanging up in my closet. The font, while not appropriate for an Original 6 franchise, was great for the Mighty Ducks. Not every hockey team needs a boring block font.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I also like the emphasis on teal instead of eggplant, as purple should be the Kings' main color.

I say this as someone who agrees with you about those alternates being the best the Mighty Ducks ever looked....

Purple isn't the Kings colour. Between their rise to prominence in black and silver during the Gretzky years and the Stanley Cup championship in the revamped version of those uniforms, it's safe to say purple won't be a colour associated with the Kings for a very long time.

As a Florida Panthers fan, I have this to say:

Management, take a good hard look at what the Anaheim Ducks did for their 20th Anniversary throwback night. See where you failed in your own throwback night, and be aware that in two years, it's the 20th anniversary of the Panthers "Year of the Rat" run to the Stanley Cup Finals. Because of this, you'll get a second chance to make it right. Use Anaheim as a template, and do the right thing this time!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Well I won't lie, I would have preferred the original colour scheme of forest green, orange, and gold/tan.

When it comes to evoking southern California, however, I don't see how jade and eggplant qualifies. They seem so typical of the 90s. The team could have been based anywhere and still gone with those colours because, hey, it was the 90s. Purple and teal, and all variations of that scheme, were in.

It's also worth noting that the Kings seemed to have finally embraced silver and black, which doesn't exactly call sunshine to mind either. It actually creates a neat balance with the Ducks. Black and silver vs black and gold. Kind of like how the Dodgers and Angels have the whole red vs blue thing going on.

Well I'm actually not one that believes that every professional sports identity must be a direct representation of their locale. I prefer it when teams do, which is why I like Vancouver's blue/green more than their black/yellow/red, but it's not a steadfast rule for me.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I did prefer the white jerseys over the eggplant ones mainly because I prefered the teal backdrop on the logo over the grey one used for the eggplants. I think for the current uniform set, they should get rid of the orange should yolk stripe and have a white version of that. If you want to feel nostaligic, switch the front logo with the shoulder logo.

I saw, I came, I left.

KKMAeAs.png

NYy5liR.png

I'd rather be caught dead or in the Wild Wing jersey than these!

The game was absolutely awesome and couldn't have gone any better. So many shots on goal on my side of the ice. And to have Bobby Ryan be the only Sen to score last night... it was perfect.

I'd say close to 60% of Honda Center was wearing Mighty Ducks gear. People broke out jerseys, hats, and jackets that had been collecting dust for the past 8+ years.

I was disappointed in the quality/price of the CCM replicas. My wife has an old eggplant/teal CCM replica and I felt the material was of higher quality than what Reebok is selling. The Ducks Store did not have the means of customizing these jerseys, and it appears shop.NHL.com doesn't either.

I was 5 when the Mighty Ducks movie came out. I watched the sequels; I watched the animated series. For me, when the rebrand hit, it was the right time. I was 19 and had grown out of the Mighty Ducks. As I've grown older, out of my teens and into adulthood, I've completely lost the connection between the [current] Ducks and the Mighty Ducks. I loved the rebrand, and the change to black/orange/gold. But 7 years later, I have that yearning to reconnect with the Mighty Ducks. This game was step 2 to righting the ship and embracing the Mighty Ducks. Step 1 was of course the Mighty Ducks patches on the shoulders of the 3rd jerseys. I hope the Samuelis will do it right and host more throwback nights; twice a year would be perfect. And I hope they embrace more of the Mighty Ducks when it comes time for new uniforms.

The graphics that were playing on the scoreboard were absolutely horrible... the pre-game video was circa '93 CGI. They did a great job. I popped on the recording from Fox Sports Prime Ticket. Did anybody else notice that John Ahlers and Brian Hayward were using mics with the original Prime Ticket logo? I'll see if I can snag a screenshot when I get home tonight.

ZcIWjWQ.jpg

#AnaheimDucksGoooaaalll #LightThatLamp #DucksFlyTogether

#BlowKingsBlow #YoureAllQueens #SJSharts

Well I'm actually not one that believes that every professional sports identity must be a direct representation of their locale. I prefer it when teams do, which is why I like Vancouver's blue/green more than their black/yellow/red, but it's not a steadfast rule for me.

When you think about it, Southern California is all about what's "in" or trendy. So in that respect, the fact that the Ducks went with the trend of the time makes a ton of sense, and really does represent the locale.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Agreed. Which is why the Ducks' black, gold, and orange scheme doesn't bother me :)

Agreed. Which is why the Ducks' black, gold, and orange scheme doesn't bother me :)

sure when orange is the main color with black and gold accents, the way it is now is way too dark and dreary for a team from LA, i know the kings use black too, but i also think they should use the purple and gold scheme

Purple isn't the Kings colour. Between their rise to prominence in black and silver during the Gretzky years and the Stanley Cup championship in the revamped version of those uniforms, it's safe to say purple won't be a colour associated with the Kings for a very long time.

To be fair, they also won the Cup with pit-stains, Bettman piping, and mismatched hem stripes. Should those be considered untouchable too?

Purple and gold have history with the team and city and also invoke images of royalty. It absolutely should be the Kings' color scheme, IMO.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

To be fair, they also won the Cup with pit-stains, Bettman piping, and mismatched hem stripes. Should those be considered untouchable too?

Their uniforms don't use Bettman piping.

These uniforms use Bettman piping. That piping that just sort of floats there on the font of the sweater.

Avalanche10_zpsecfd7e1a.png

Sabres28_zps627d03d7.png

The Kings' piping follows the length of the sleeves, which calls to mind traditional hockey aesthetics. It even slightly homages the Kings' 1980-88 set.

As for the inconsistent hem stripes and the pit stains, those can be fixed and done away with without significantly altering the Cup championship look. A return to purple and gold would be a complete departure.

Purple and gold have history with the team and city...

The Kings' purple and gold history isn't exactly illustrious. As for the city aspect it would make them seem like the Lakers' kid brother of a franchise. Which is not the image the team needs to be promoting right now.

No, the Kings definitely have Bettman Piping. The Avs have one of the two different variations of the Bettman Apron.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Sorry, I just don't consider what the Kings have be "Bettman piping." When I read "Bettman piping" I think of piping that was introduced in the Edge roll out. The kind of piping the Aves, Sabres, Flames, and others came out with.

With the Kings' piping I see it as an evolution of the sleeve length yoke design, a variation on the designs used by the Maple Leafs, Kings, Flyers, and Rangers in the 1970s and 1980s.

Archived