2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

How about the most important uniform change for the whole league...MAKE WHITE THE HOME COLOR!

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

How about the most important uniform change for the whole league...MAKE WHITE THE HOME COLOR!

Sorry, no. That's just not practical in the era of the third sweater.

I disagree. Have third jerseys worn on the road for the one-game road trips.

But the incremental expense for wearing them on longer road trips really wouldn't be that much either. No matter what the owners say. 20 extra jerseys, pants, and socks don't make a team bankrupt.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

I also like the emphasis on teal instead of eggplant, as purple should be the Kings' main color.

I say this as someone who agrees with you about those alternates being the best the Mighty Ducks ever looked....

Purple isn't the Kings colour. Between their rise to prominence in black and silver during the Gretzky years and the Stanley Cup championship in the revamped version of those uniforms, it's safe to say purple won't be a colour associated with the Kings for a very long time.

And Ice, you get your "knowledge" on this how and where? Purple will always be a LA Kings color, if not official, than unofficial with the fans. The reason they went black and silver was that Luc wanted something that brought back feelings of the Gretzky years. But if you look in the rafters, there are purple and gold banners for the retired numbers of Dionne and Vachon. Also they do Legends Nights and wear PURPLE and gold jerseys a few times a year, no matter if the person represented wore those colors. I was at Kelly Hrudey night and they wore the purple and gold '67 jerseys.

There's a fine line between "Legends Nights" and "we need an excuse to wear these so let's honor Ian Laperrière and Jay Wells."

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

No white jerseys at home. You're at home, you should be wearing your own colours. This isn't 1973. Pretty much everybody has a tv, and a hi-def one with colour at that. Pretty much everybody is able to catch nearly every game their team plays, home or away. Theres no need to where white at home just so you can see what the other team's uniforms look like.

I had the crazy idea a few years ago (back when the Winter Classic was a novelty) that for every team's final game of the calendar year (except the Winter Classic teams) they wear retro unis. Then the Winter Classic teams wear retro unis.

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

No white jerseys at home. You're at home, you should be wearing your own colours. This isn't 1973. Pretty much everybody has a tv, and a hi-def one with colour at that. Pretty much everybody is able to catch nearly every game their team plays, home or away. Theres no need to where white at home just so you can see what the other team's uniforms look like.

I felt it was more about wearing your colors on the road and thus standing out as The Other more than you would with a neutral base color.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

You know I never really thought of that. I wonder what the jump in sales was between the 2003-04 and 2005-06 seasons in home and alt jerseys because of the switch. Well played NHL, well played.

They should have the option to wear white at home if they really wanted. I'm not familiar enough with the rules but I don't think that's the case. Should be; some teams just look better in white.

spacer.png

Detroit and Toronto are the two that undoubtedly look better in white. Vancouver, Long Island, New Jersey, Anaheim, Winnipeg, Philadelphia, and New York I strongly feel look better in white. Chicago looks better in red but I'll take one for the team. Many teams don't look good in either. Conversely, Montreal looks so much better in the classic tricolore that I want white at home so the Habs can override it and wear it home and away, like the Cowboys. Yeah, override like a Cowboy.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Detroit and Toronto are the two that undoubtedly look better in white. Vancouver, Long Island, New Jersey, Anaheim, Winnipeg, Philadelphia, and New York I strongly feel look better in white. Chicago looks better in red but I'll take one for the team. Many teams don't look good in either. Conversely, Montreal looks so much better in the classic tricolore that I want white at home so the Habs can override it and wear it home and away, like the Cowboys. Yeah, override like a Cowboy.

Detroit and Vancouver look better in white. Toronto and Winnipeg are debatable. Montreal's red jersey is fathoms better than their whites. The rest of the league look better in the their colours as well.

This is irrelevent too because each team is going to half to wear both sets of uniforms considering you're just flipping home and away. The debate is which should be worn where.

But the incremental expense for wearing them on longer road trips really wouldn't be that much either. No matter what the owners say. 20 extra jerseys, pants, and socks don't make a team bankrupt.

It's not so much about the expenses as much as it's about the logistics of it all. Alternates sweaters are, almost always, dark. Yet teams prefer to wear them at home to give fans an in-person look at them. This is not only ment to boost sales but it's also sort of fitting in the sense that if any team is going to wear a "special" uniform it's the home team.

If whites are the standard home uniform then extended road trips might require the team to pack both their white and dark sets, as it's a pretty good chance they're scheduled to play against a team that wants to wear their alternates at home. This costs a bit more, but the real headache falls on the equipment managers. Which may not seem like a big deal to some people, but why create that headache if it can be easily avoided by making the darks the primary homes?

Plus the home/road sweater setup should be steadfast in the minds of the fans. If whites are the standard home uniforms then it's not really that steadfast because teams will likely opt to wear their dark alternates from time to time. If darks are the standard home uniforms then it's more universal in its application.

I always liked the clean look of the white sweaters at home. You got some variation from game to game of your team in white versus the opponents colored sweaters. It was consistent with MLB and the NBA in the regard.

Now it's always your team's color vs the other team in white every single game. Sort of bland.

It's jerseys, socks, and helmets. I think the last one is the deal breaker.

How about we get rid of home-away, and just have primary and clash jerseys.

You'd still need to pack two different sets on varying roadtrips. Montreal, for instance, would almost always wear their reds, but if they went out to Calgary, or Florida, Carolina, New Jersey, Ottawa, Chicago, hell, Phoenix, they'd have to wear white in many of those cases (I specifically excluded Detroit - it seems like the Wings wear their white's at home even in today's age when any of the O6 or Philadelphia come to town).

Now, personally, when I'm playing NHL video games, I love to mix of the dark/white/alt/throwback sets accordingly. When I've played the Mighty Ducks, I sometimes like to play them in the short-term alts (Wild Wing doesn't exist on those games :( ). Of course, video game world and jersey usage is not exactly something you can do in real life. As much as I prefer home white's, it's just not logistically feasible.

spacer.png

The avs look 100x better in their current whites versus their current darks. I can actually tolerate the white sweater.

They both blow chunks...Nothing like seeing a captain "C" with a stripe through it ... I actually prefer the dark sweater simply because of the unique shade.

Archived