2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

The avs look 100x better in their current whites versus their current darks. I can actually tolerate the white sweater.

They both blow chunks...Nothing like seeing a captain "C" with a stripe through it ... I actually prefer the dark sweater simply because of the unique shade.

No way. The blue and burgundy need a separating border. They look like crap next to each other.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

The Blackhawks Store on Michigan Avenue is selling replica black 3rd jerseys again. You can tell they're new stock, because they have the Reebok wordmark on them instead of the vector logo. I asked if this portended a comeback, and an employee told me no, that they were just a "special order" for team-owned retail. We'll see.

Either way, $165 for a blank replica can go piss up a rope.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

The Blackhawks Store on Michigan Avenue is selling replica black 3rd jerseys again. You can tell they're new stock, because they have the Reebok wordmark on them instead of the vector logo. I asked if this portended a comeback, and an employee told me no, that they were just a "special order" for team-owned retail. We'll see.

Hope they'll come back ! I always felt that it was a kickass alternate !

On the Ducks online shop, the Mighty Ducks jerseys are listed as "Purple/Turquoise"....

It was also called "Eggplant and Teal" and "Eggplant and Aqua" in the same segment on the Ducks pre-game broadcast.

Why the team itself can't get the colors names correct anymore bugs the crap out of me. It is not turquoise. Teal is the Sharks. Aqua is the Dolphins. The Mighty Ducks are JADE.

Eggplant and Jade.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

Fun update from me posting a photo of the Blackhawks 3rd on Twitter:

Tom O'Grady is still an astonishingly insufferable prick.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

meh, easy enough to find a blank CCM version of that replica online somewhere.

I'm seeing all this current Ducks vs Mighty Ducks talk and I'm just wanting them to go with neither and go with an updated brand that revolves around some variation of green and orange.

Except for the webfoot D. That can stay.

Midway.png

How about the most important uniform change for the whole league...MAKE WHITE THE HOME COLOR!

Sorry, no. That's just not practical in the era of the third sweater.

I disagree. Have third jerseys worn on the road for the one-game road trips.

But the incremental expense for wearing them on longer road trips really wouldn't be that much either. No matter what the owners say. 20 extra jerseys, pants, and socks don't make a team bankrupt.

It's not so much about the expenses as much as it's about the logistics of it all. Alternates sweaters are, almost always, dark. Yet teams prefer to wear them at home to give fans an in-person look at them. This is not only ment to boost sales but it's also sort of fitting in the sense that if any team is going to wear a "special" uniform it's the home team.

If whites are the standard home uniform then extended road trips might require the team to pack both their white and dark sets, as it's a pretty good chance they're scheduled to play against a team that wants to wear their alternates at home. This costs a bit more, but the real headache falls on the equipment managers. Which may not seem like a big deal to some people, but why create that headache if it can be easily avoided by making the darks the primary homes?

Plus the home/road sweater setup should be steadfast in the minds of the fans. If whites are the standard home uniforms then it's not really that steadfast because teams will likely opt to wear their dark alternates from time to time. If darks are the standard home uniforms then it's more universal in its application.

This is a good post, Ice, and you make valid points ...but look at the NBA. Everything is white at home (yeah I know Lakers). By your logic of teams wearing the special jerseys at home and showing them to the fans and boosting sales, the NBA should be dark at home and white on the road (note that I'm disregarding the volume of equipment here) . But the NBA is not dark at home for some reason.

The NHL can certainly be white at home. It's worked before. Logistically it is possible.

Smart is believing half of what you hear. Genius is knowing which half.

How about the most important uniform change for the whole league...MAKE WHITE THE HOME COLOR!

But the incremental expense for wearing them on longer road trips really wouldn't be that much either. No matter what the owners say. 20 extra jerseys, pants, and socks don't make a team bankrupt.

It's not so much about the expenses as much as it's about the logistics of it all. Alternates sweaters are, almost always, dark. Yet teams prefer to wear them at home to give fans an in-person look at them. This is not only ment to boost sales but it's also sort of fitting in the sense that if any team is going to wear a "special" uniform it's the home team.

If whites are the standard home uniform then extended road trips might require the team to pack both their white and dark sets, as it's a pretty good chance they're scheduled to play against a team that wants to wear their alternates at home. This costs a bit more, but the real headache falls on the equipment managers. Which may not seem like a big deal to some people, but why create that headache if it can be easily avoided by making the darks the primary homes?

Plus the home/road sweater setup should be steadfast in the minds of the fans. If whites are the standard home uniforms then it's not really that steadfast because teams will likely opt to wear their dark alternates from time to time. If darks are the standard home uniforms then it's more universal in its application.

This is a good post, Ice, and you make valid points ...but look at the NBA. Everything is white at home (yeah I know Lakers). By your logic of teams wearing the special jerseys at home and showing them to the fans and boosting sales, the NBA should be dark at home and white on the road (note that I'm disregarding the volume of equipment here) . But the NBA is not dark at home for some reason.

The NHL can certainly be white at home. It's worked before. Logistically it is possible.

you can't disregard equipment in this case, the nba just has to bring jerseys and shorts, the NHL has to bring, jerseys, breezers, socks, and in some cases gloves and helmets to match the jerseys too. the amount of equipment needed for hockey is so much more than it is for the NBA that is makes more sense for them to wear dark jerseys and alts at home and white aways

you can't disregard equipment in this case, the nba just has to bring jerseys and shorts, the NHL has to bring, jerseys, breezers, socks, and in some cases gloves and helmets to match the jerseys too. the amount of equipment needed for hockey is so much more than it is for the NBA that is makes more sense for them to wear dark jerseys and alts at home and white aways

It's really not that much more equipment. Sounds like a lot...but volume wise, it's not a ridiculous amount. Jerseys and socks are nothing to pack. Breezers aren't much. Helmets and gloves might change, but in the vast majority of cases, they stay the same. In total, it's likely about 20 10-pound duffel bags more.

Again, it's logistically possible, because teams currently wear white at home on occasion.

It's really not that much more equipment. Sounds like a lot...but volume wise, it's not a ridiculous amount. Jerseys and socks are nothing to pack. Breezers aren't much. Helmets and gloves might change, but in the vast majority of cases, they stay the same. In total, it's likely about 20 10-pound duffel bags more.

but when they are already carrying the shoulder pads, elbow pads, goalie pads, shin pads, skates, sticks, pucks, training gear, medical equipment, coaches gear ect... it becomes a lot, basketball is just jerseys, shorts and sneakers, med equipment, coaches gear, warmups, shooting shirts, its significantly less, and the nba owners still complain about not making money.

Right, but it's still added on to so much more equipment than an NBA team has to pack. And with an NHL team vs an NBA team, it's a 23-man roster vs a 12-man roster.

So it may not seem like a lot more, but added in with the extra equipment and extra players, it's a lot of stuff.

5963ddf2a9031_dkO1LMUcopy.jpg.0fe00e17f953af170a32cde8b7be6bc7.jpg

| ANA | LAA | LAR | LAL | ASU | CSULB | USMNT | USWNT | LAFC | OCSC | MAN UTD |

but when they are already carrying the shoulder pads, elbow pads, goalie pads, shin pads, skates, sticks, pucks, training gear, medical equipment, coaches gear ect... it becomes a lot, basketball is just jerseys, shorts and sneakers, med equipment, coaches gear, warmups, shooting shirts, its significantly less, and the nba owners still complain about not making money.

Yeah but you're going to pack all that stuff anyway. The marginal (additional) equipment isn't that much. The chartered flight isn't going to cost $1000000000 more because you have an additional 200 lbs on the plane. The equipment managers might have to work an extra hour per road city.

But in the end, I do understand that it is indeed more equipment than the NBA. I'm not trying to disprove that. All I'm saying is all the extra stuff that sounds like a lot really doesn't take that much room when you lay it out. The equipment that you HAVE to bring anyway is about 90% of the equipment.

The NBA owners still complain about not making money because of bigger problems than equipment logistics. Check out the operating incomes on Forbes.

Okay, now that we're a month in the season, I'm slowly gaining second feelings for both of the Canes new jerseys.

Many people love the road, as do I. Nothing needs to be added. But I'm getting the feel for the home too, just the way it is. Now after looking at many, many photos of home games, it's clear that they are more than just a red/white team. They are STILL a red/white/BLACK team. The home uniform only has a touch of black, but (at least up-close), it's distinct juuust enough to tell them apart from the Red Wings and Coyotes. The stripes don't need black, imo. Somewhere else maybe, but not the white stripes. Now the white stripes feel like swooshes of clean motion, but I still do question why they chose that. I think I get it, it completes the assembled look, but they do look a teeny bit out of place, on a Hurricanes jersey.

The road jersey has fresh new black numbers, further separating them from their so-called monochrome counterparts. I also like how only the home has laces. Both jerseys have their own striping pattern - which I believe was a good decision. Because I think a red version of the road with the red & white reversed would look absolutely awful and cheap. And if anyone has the right to do something less conventional, it's a team established in the 90s (don't start with the Whalers :P).

So do I think this is the best look the Canes ever had? No. But I think it fits the modern image of hockey jerseys: traditional striping, but with modern elements. Do I (now) think it's a respactable look that could be used for at least a few years? Definitely. As for the warning flag on the hem...they should use it on a 3rd jersey, at minimum. Many people still love that element of Canes tradition, and it should still be used. Same goes for the Lightning's victory stripes. No excuse to them either.

Archived