2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Put up a pole on NHL.com, and let the fans just vote on it FFS. They claim to put the fans first, yet they never get their input on anything!

Fans almost never think about the logistics and costs involved in something like this. Why would they put the decision in the hands of people who don't really know everything about the issue they're voting on?

Because that's how we hold elections.
That's worked out swimmingly! :upside:

The WHL does the half year jersey thing. Dark at home until the Christmas break and then white at home until the end of the season.

I like it and I could see the NHL doing it to compromise.

The NHL did this already. For the 75th anniversary season teams wore white for the first half of the season and dark for the second half.

A quick fix to Calgary's soon-to-be-unveiled alternate jersey...

Flames2_zps3878cb36.png

I wouldn't mind at all if this was the flames full time home with a matching white. The 80's jerseys don't have any enough contrast and black fixes this issue. Same deal with the Northstars.

Put up a pole on NHL.com, and let the fans just vote on it FFS. They claim to put the fans first, yet they never get their input on anything!

Fans almost never think about the logistics and costs involved in something like this. Why would they put the decision in the hands of people who don't really know everything about the issue they're voting on?

lol WHAT LOGISTICS OF COSTS?? It's the SAME AMOUNT of money and work carrying a coloured jersey around, compared to a white jersey. That's not a valid argument in the least. The NHL had 3rd jerseys prior to the switch, they did not do it to save money, they did it as a ploy to sell more jerseys.

There is not ONE, NOT ONE single complement pre jersey switch, about teams having to carry the opposite jersey on the road. You're basing your argument on something you conceptualized in your own head.

The Leafs, Stars and the Caps all have 3rd jerseys that are white in the dark home jersey era.

There's only one third that's even worth wearing, and that's Minnesota's green, which seems to get more use than the standard red/green home anyway. There shouldn't even be thirds.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

lol WHAT LOGISTICS OF COSTS?? It's the SAME AMOUNT of money and work carrying a coloured jersey around, compared to a white jersey. That's not a valid argument in the least. The NHL had 3rd jerseys prior to the switch, they did not do it to save money, they did it as a ploy to sell more jerseys.

There is not ONE, NOT ONE single complement pre jersey switch, about teams having to carry the opposite jersey on the road. You're basing your argument on something you conceptualized in your own head.

The Leafs, Stars and the Caps all have 3rd jerseys that are white in the dark home jersey era.

The Leafs 3rds are blue and the Stars don't have a third.

Belts.jpg
PotD May 11th, 2011
looooooogodud: June 7th 2010 - July 5th 2012

Ugh.

Thanks for nothing Flames. So much opportunity blown with a stupid wordmark jersey, and the new logo isn't all that great.

Just like the Lightning, a name with potential for more, yet disappoints.

2ly2w09.jpg

Does it cost the same amount to carry the coloured uniforms around? Well, yeah, duh. But this was never the problem. Fact is teams were often lugging both sets around, simply because teams were wearing their team coloured third jerseys at home. Ice_Cap hasn't made this up, it's something the NHL officially stated before the switcheroo.

And those teams that use or have used white thirds? To my knowledge, only Toronto wore the white third at home. Dallas made theirs a new road jersey and the Caps usually wear theirs on the road.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The third jersey issue **WAS** one of the major reasons the NHL gave when they changed to dark jerseys at home. Why are people still debating this?

If you have to pack both sets of jerseys you also need to pack both sets of helmets, and both sets of socks as well as both sets of numbering kits in case of callups or trades. In a few cases the visiting team wasn't told the other team was going to wear their colored thirds so either arrangements had to be made to retrieve the other team's white uniforms or the home team just didn't play in their thirds.

Now if a team encounters a third jersey on a road trip they can just continue to wear their white and everything is easier.

So yeah, logistics and cost was a major factor.

PvO6ZWJ.png

You know how the Sharks have put the SJ-Shark Fin logo on the back of the black helmet? Well the white helmet just has the shark fin with nary a SJ in sight.

6155610453_slide.jpg

That's the fastest road uniform I've seen in my life.

Shouldn't they be practicing in jerseys with all kinds of crazy extra stripes? Like a batting doughnut for skating?

Flames2_zps3878cb36.png

I wouldn't mind at all if this was the flames full time home with a matching white. The 80's jerseys don't have any enough contrast and black fixes this issue. Same deal with the Northstars.

I'm okay with black the way the North Stars used it, but Calgary makes it too prominent. I just have never liked the black C. It doesn't look right on a colored background. To me, the whites look great, and the homes look awful just because of that one reason.

"Every morning in Africa, a gazelle wakes up. It knows it must run faster than the fastest lion or it will be eaten. Every morning in Africa, a lion wakes up. It knows it must outrun the slowest gazelle or it will starve. It doesn't matter whether you're a lion or a gazelle. When the sun comes up, you'd better be running." - Unknown | 🌐 Check out my articles on jerseys at Bacon Sports 🔗
spacer.png

Flames2_zps3878cb36.png

I'm okay with black the way the North Stars used it, but Calgary makes it too prominent. I just have never liked the black C. It doesn't look right on a colored background. To me, the whites look great, and the homes look awful just because of that one reason.

I never liked the black on neither the North Stars nor the Flames. Their original looks were colourful but clean and simple. You recognized those teams right away the moment you saw those teams on television. I even loved their uniform matchup during the '81 semi-finals-> White N-Star @ Red Flaming C, White Flaming C @ Green N-Star.

No different than seeing a unform matchup between the North Stars vs the Sabres(vintage) or the Kings(purple & gold) vs the Sabres(vintage). Nice clean and simple uniforms with a basic colour scheme that sets those teams apart from each other and the rest of the teams in the league.

Getting back to the North Stars and Flames, I would have just deepened the North Stars' kelly green to a forest green which is used by the Wild(HATE that name). The Flames' red would be changed to the same shade as the Canadiens' current red.

When colour is taken out of the game and black is constantly put in as either a primary or as a trimming, the uniforms become way too generic and teams who traditionally have black in their looks, ie. the Bruins, Blackhawks, Flyers, Penguins, and Lightning('04) get lost in the shuffle and don't stand out like the way they used to.

dPhKI0V.jpg

Saw this posted on Facebook. Hank's stadium series pads.

But what's more interesting is Fasth's pads in the background. Possible confirmation that the Ducks will be wearing eggplant and jade in their stadium game?

Looking good, besides stealing Harding's thunder. :P

And Eggplant and Jade would be a lot better than orange invasion.

Archived