2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Just because:

tumblr_mrjio4lAnw1spx4u4o1_500.jpg

Anyone know what year that's from? I can only narrow it down to sometime between 1980 and 1984.
Just from looking at the NHL Uniform Database it's between 1982 and 1984 based on Vancouver, St.Louis and Pittsburgh.

Also from looking at the NHL Uniform Database, I'd say it could only be for the '83-'84 season, based on the width of the Sabres' stripes. They were narrower/closer together in '82-'83, and the Blues changes their sweaters for '84-'85, so that leaves one possible season.

And what's up with that Capitals sweater? No stars on the sleeves?

17013982017.gifu2jelkdnhfxbda2vmnsggv6hf.gif444.gifyo3wysbjtagzmwj37tb11u0fh.gif

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just because:

Anyone know what year that's from? I can only narrow it down to sometime between 1980 and 1984.
Just from looking at the NHL Uniform Database it's between 1982 and 1984 based on Vancouver, St.Louis and Pittsburgh.

It's '84. That's the only season the Red Wings used the logo with the colours inverted.

Just because:

Also from looking at the NHL Uniform Database, I'd say it could only be for the '83-'84 season, based on the width of the Sabres' stripes. They were narrower/closer together in '82-'83, and the Blues changes their sweaters for '84-'85, so that leaves one possible season.

Just because:

1983-84, New Jersey's first year after the Rockies moved from Denver.

I know they're traditional but I hate Toronto's socks. Doesn't go with anything in the rest of the set.

I know it's only a matter of opinion, but I don't think everything always has to match right on, every time.

To me, some teams get a pass, some don't. And it's not always because of tradition. But it's just me.

I know they're traditional but I hate Toronto's socks. Doesn't go with anything in the rest of the set.

I know it's only a matter of opinion, but I don't think everything always has to match right on, every time.

To me, some teams get a pass, some don't. And it's not always because of tradition. But it's just me.

im the same but i too dont think torontos socks work with them, they are just too different from everything else, if it was maybe just one big set of northwestern stripes rather than 3 skinny sets. Then I'd probably like them

The only thing I don't like about Toronto's uniforms is the mismatch between the ultrasimple crest and the hyperdetailed shoulder patches. They do not go together.

I think they're at least an improvement over the roided Gilmour shoulder patches. With the death of the 35-point leaf, I was glad to see them stick around for a bit. Would just the outline of the 35-point leaf work?

eMXEIDC.png

toIYnW8.png

The only thing I don't like about Toronto's uniforms is the mismatch between the ultrasimple crest and the hyperdetailed shoulder patches. They do not go together.

I think they're at least an improvement over the roided Gilmour shoulder patches. With the death of the 35-point leaf, I was glad to see them stick around for a bit. Would just the outline of the 35-point leaf work?

The reason why I think the detailed shoulder patch logos work fine is because of the sock pattern. If the socks were just plan white with 2 thick blue stripes then yeah, they probably would look out of place. I love the Leafs in this jersey...just perfect.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The reason why I think the detailed shoulder patch logos work fine is because of the sock pattern. If the socks were just plan white with 2 thick blue stripes then yeah, they probably would look out of place. I love the Leafs in this jersey...just perfect.

The stripes on the socks match the shoulder patches, the stripes on the jersey match the crest. If I were in control, I'd unify everything. Either promote the shoulder patch to a crest and bring the sock stripes up to the sleeves, or find a new (possibly no) shoulder patch and simplify the sock stripes. Either would work; I would prefer the former. The simple leaf could work as a shoulder patch, as it has in the past.

Nitpicks aside, they do look really good.

185369714_slide.jpg

Chicago red against Toronto white is like mainlining pure, unadulterated sports-aesthetics geekery. It's just so good.

That USA Network ad is good stuff. I love that Blues sweater. In fact, with but a few exceptions, every sweater looks good.

Interesting point in the NHL's broadcast history, as USA could have gone on to be a pretty solid broadcast partner if they had stuck together. Alas, cable wasn't really much in 1983. Now that USA is part of the NBC family, you'd like for there to have been an NHL on USA package (maybe Friday nights, when hockey degenerates are probably home?) to diversify beyond the Outdoor Life Network's New Hat. It could create a nice counterpart to the NBA on TNT, but they're pretty committed to the sports network thing, and also that would sort of take USA back to its days as TV's junk drawer, and I think they're pretty committed to pseudo-sophisticated dramas that weren't good enough for FX, which itself is committed to pseudo-sophisticated dramas that weren't good enough for AMC and HBO.

There's also the irony of it being a Canadian game on a channel called "USA," but then again,

ncr40klogo.JPG

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Let's not neglect "Bumper Stumpers" or "Jackpot!", either.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I love seeing Dallas against Minnesota now because its just such a great reminder of how much our current shade of green is an upgrade over our old. The Stars shoulders versus the Wilds pants in their first game this year was just night and day. The forest green just looks so dreary. Knowing that Dallas paired that exact shade with black is almost mind blowing in retrospect.

Archived