2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Thankfully, I think we're past the fad of singular team names (which makes the OKC Thunder even worse). If Seattle had gotten a team in 1993 they'd be called the "Seattle Speed" with a kewl logo of a grimacing jet. Now they'll probably make it plural and region specific. I would love it if they used the Mariners' criminally underused color scheme and add another teal team to the NHL, but a bright green to match the seahawks and sounders would be cool too.

I want kelly green and black, or three-tone green. The latter would be unique, since the Bucks aren't doing it anymore. We need more mint green.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

yeah, that worked great the first time.

also, the Vancouver Giants wore the Millionaires unis a couple of times. someone who isn't posting from a phone can find the pics.

Note the bleach white helmet.

_C4G5144.jpg_C4G5129.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

The Canucks are wearing this decal on the back of the third helmets.

110d2io.jpg

It wasn't on the home and away helmets earlier this year so I'm guessing its just the third helmets.

Edit. From the team website

Throughout the month of February the Vancouver Canucks will wear the Hockey Talks helmet decal and continue to contribute to discussions about mental health through Canucks online editorial features and social media venues. Fans are encouraged to lend their voice to the national conversation about mental health through personal accounts or messages of support on social media with the hashtag #HockeyTalks.

It mentions that the other Candian teams are sponsering this to, so I wonder if they will wear decals on the back of their helmets this month?

The Catch of the Day!

also, the Vancouver Giants wore the Millionaires unis a couple of times. someone who isn't posting from a phone can find the pics.

_C4G5144.jpg_C4G5129.jpg

I'm pretty sure that in the Kesler helmet pictures he also has the white helmet. I don't get it.

untitled-6.jpg

Given that the Thunderbirds will probably be kicked out of the market should Seattle get a NHL team maybe they could use that identity?

Why do you think that?

I doubt there's enough corporate and fan support in Seattle for both NHL and WHL hockey.

I'd disagree. Seattle has 2 WHL teams within 30 miles of it and together they average 8-9k fans. NHL fanbase would be completely different. I'd say the Everett fans wouldn't support a Seattle NHL team (their radio station broadcasts the Canucks games) much in the way they support WSU over UW. So the Silvertips would be fine. The Thunderbirds have really started setting roots in the Kent community and their sponsorships come not from the giants in the area but local businesses supporting the local team. I don't think that would change much, either. A lot like Vancouver, I think the NHL in town only helps draw attention to the fact there is a cheaper alternative for competitive hockey in the area, I don't think you would end up with another Toronto/Mississauga/Brampton situation.

I've gotcha. Well you would know the market better then I would.

Seeing how we're in the Sports Logos forum, has there been any discussion locally about a NHL team's possible name?

apparently the Blue Jackets have new helmet stickers for when they wear the third jerseys that say COLUMBUS in the same font as the crest of the third jersey.

Previously they've left the regular primary logos on the helmets and changed the number decals. It always bugged me so I'm glad they corrected it.

edit: found a picture

Untitled_zps558dff95.png

PvO6ZWJ.png

The Canucks currently have the best colour scheme in the league (though Dallas might give it a run for it's money when the new look is unveiled). There is no reason to bring that generic and frankly, ugly uniform into the fold. Either stick with the Orca jerseys or make the current third the primary with a matching Road. All three of the Canucks current jerseys blow the millionaires one out of the water.

_C4G5144.jpg_C4G5129.jpg

I'm pretty sure that in the Kesler helmet pictures he also has the white helmet. I don't get it.

Yup.

Jan3113_kes8_blog.jpg

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

I guess you want the Green Bay Packers to become the Milwaukee Packers now, too?

Nope. Just the Anaheim Ducks to become the Los Angeles Ducks.

Well, if you care so much about teams having "well known" city names, might as well change the Packers to the MIlwaukee Packers, as I'm sure people in Taiwan are more familiar with Milwaukee than they are with Green Bay.

Anyways, you should be ashamed of yourself. That idea is really, really bad for multiple reasons, and somewhat offensive.

Offensive? Not at all. The Los Angeles Rams played in Anaheim for fourteen years while using the Los Angeles name and no one noticed. The Angels' attendance hasn't suffered since they've adopted the Los Angeles name. Obviously it doesn't offend Angels fans.

Now your signature? That's offensive.

It's offensive in the sense that he's inferring that Anaheim and Orange County is inferior, and that they should steal the "Los Angeles" moniker, to try and get more publicity, etc. It would also look very desperate, and I can only imagine what kind of :censored: Kings fans would start giving Ducks fans.

The Angels name change WAS offensive to many Angels fans (just because attendance wasn't hurt, doesn't mean it didn't upset the fans, and I believe a few people cancelled season seats over it). Also, the Angels, along with the Rams, had played in Los Angeles before, so it was a different situation, too.

It wouldn't be "stealing." The Islanders have spent all of their existence on Long Island, outside of New York City, but they're called New York because Long Island is recognized as being part of the New York metro area.

It wouldn't be implying Anaheim or Orange County are inferior, just part of the larger Los Angeles metro area, which they are. That's not offensive.

Alright, this should make more sense: The Ducks and Kings have had a big brother-little brother thing kind of going on. The Kings and their fans view the Ducks as the little brother, and they've always really, really hated the Ducks, while the Ducks don't share the same amount of hatred towards the Kings (even though Ducks fans do hate the Kings, largely in part to the hatred coming from the Kings fans). The Kings are like the 12 year old who is envious of the 9 year old and his leeway with the parents or whatever. Let's say the 12 year old gets a guitar and becomes somewhat decent at it, thus making the parents proud of him and gaining attention from friends and family members. Then since the 9 year old is jealous of the 12 year old, he decides to take up the guitar also. Does this make sense? If the Ducks decided to brand themselves as a Los Angeles team, especially after the Kings' success, it just would seem kinda of weird, and it would seem like the Ducks are trying to infringe on the Kings' recent popularity. The Ducks already have their own identity, they don't need to start mirroring the other teams' identity.

apparently the Blue Jackets have new helmet stickers for when they wear the third jerseys that say COLUMBUS in the same font as the crest of the third jersey.

Previously they've left the regular primary logos on the helmets and changed the number decals. It always bugged me so I'm glad they corrected it.

Untitled_zps558dff95.png

I always thought that they simply wore the home helmets with the thirds. I didn't know that they actually had different numbers. Anyway I'm not crazy about that wordmark. It would look cooler if they had the civil war cannon on the helmets like what is worn on the front of the jersey.

The Catch of the Day!

Untitled_zps558dff95.png

That font, or a narrower version of it, needs to be used for player names on all three of the Jackets' jerseys.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

It wouldn't be "stealing." The Islanders have spent all of their existence on Long Island, outside of New York City, but they're called New York because Long Island is recognized as being part of the New York metro area.

The Islanders example is bad one, because even if they weren't in the metro area, they're still in New York State, so they have the right to be called New York Islanders. "Long Island Islanders" would be redundant, and they don't play in a major city, so "New York" is the best way to go.

Alright, this should make more sense: The Ducks and Kings have had a big brother-little brother thing kind of going on....[clipped for space]

I get what you're saying. Like I said I don't think the Ducks should go with "Los Angeles." That ship sailed. I just wouldn't call an Anaheim-based team using the LA name "offensive," but I get why the Ducks would never do it.

Is Boston still wearing different decals for home and third jersey helmets? Thought I saw a game this year with the home jersey but a decidedly different looking helmet for some reason.

Alright, this should make more sense: The Ducks and Kings have had a big brother-little brother thing kind of going on....[clipped for space]

I get what you're saying. Like I said I don't think the Ducks should go with "Los Angeles." That ship sailed. I just wouldn't call an Anaheim-based team using the LA name "offensive," but I get why the Ducks would never do it.

Changing the name to LA wouldn't really be offensive, but his reasoning for wanting to change it to "LA", was the sort of offensive part.

Did anyone notice on the cbc broadcast during he flames game, they showed a graphic of an upcoming game with the senators using the face logo. The mouth region clearly looked a bit different, almost like he was pursing his lips or something. It looked smaller. Anyone?

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The Flames need to make the throwbacks their primaries. They looked so good against the Blackhawks.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

No, the last thing we need is for the Flames to wear the throwbacks full time. Not only is there not enough contrast between the red and yellow, but those jerseys make me want to recalibrate my television every time they appear.

No. No no no no no.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

I would like the Hurricanes to bring back a Hartford Whalers throwback since everyone else seems to be getting behind the wheel of the wayback machine. I imagine with the complex situation with the likeness rights and the City of Hartford it'll probably never happen.

Also, nice avatar, Lee.

mainescarf.png

Archived