2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

On September 20, 2012 at 0:50 AM, 'CS85 said:

It's like watching the hellish undead creakily shuffling their way out of the flames of a liposuction clinic dumpster fire.

On February 19, 2012 at 9:30 AM, 'pianoknight said:

Story B: Red Wings go undefeated and score 100 goals in every game. They also beat a team comprised of Godzilla, the ghost of Abraham Lincoln, 2 Power Rangers and Betty White. Oh, and they played in the middle of Iraq on a military base. In the sand. With no ice. Santa gave them special sand-skates that allowed them to play in shorts and t-shirts in 115 degree weather. Jesus, Zeus and Buddha watched from the sidelines and ate cotton candy.

POTD 5/24/12POTD 2/26/17

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I hinted to my parents that I want one of those jerseys for Christmas.

They're pretending to not hear you. Take the hint before they disown you.
On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I do not accept this as an excuse for the continued dumbing down of this discussion board. What used to be a spectrum of opinion and nuanced discussion has devolved into a race to see who can dislike the newest thing the quickest and snarkiest.

Yeah. We are nerds. But we used to be smarter. There are still people who are capable and I am thankful that they retain the patience needed to soldier on.

I don't care about the memes. At least they are sometimes entertaining. But can we tone down the hyperbole? If any of you honestly are that pissed about inverting a sock pattern or widening a stripe- well, you're entitled to your opinion but your opinion is wrong and likely best kept to yourself.

When every change is treated like Islanders fishsticks it becomes impossible to take any of you seriously. The Sabres alt is bad. When calm I can think of at least six current uniforms that are worse.

Tl:dr- the unnecessary hyperbole- knock it the f#@k off

I can't think of 6 but I can definitely think of a few...

Worse than the Islanders third? Hardly. At least it has a logo on the front. Worse than either of Avalanche main jerseys? I'll take that cape template over the piping laced bib any day. Worse than what the Flames wear full time? Impossible because nothing is worse than those including Wildwing bursting through the ice ;)

There is no way that six current NHL jerseys are worse than the cape.

It's the worst in the league, bar none, including the Islanders' third. There are many instances where a jersey is "the worst for this team" because it doesn't match their usual colors or they do something strange or Reebok effects spoil it, or it simply isn't what you want to see, but as a simple jersey, for another team in another time, wouldn't be that bad.

but this Sabres jersey is objectively awful, on its own, no context necessary.

It's worse because the Sabres were finally getting it right.

And this one idea, of different colored front and back, in wildly contrasting colors, no less, could be the single worst design element we've seen yet.

I've watched a game with Wild Wing, it wasn't as continuously-jarring as the navy-to-gold flashes every time a Sabre turned around. The Burger King jersey had silver and white, horribly strange, but not as jarring. The only thing that could possibly surpass the continuous, not-going-to-get-used-to-it, difficult to process and at times even nauseating effect had by these Sabres alts are the Canucks Flying V, which had similar qualities in differences between front and back with high-contrast and bright colors. Seriously, go watch the highlights. The photos make the capes look better than they truly are.

I watched the highlights this morning, and I rescind most of my comments. I still think the board gets out of hand way too much to be taken seriously, but seeing the uniforms in motion was far worse than the still shots. The effect with the socks clinched it - it was like watching the Red Wings take on two different teams simultaneously.

I still maintain that Colorado's home and away are worse, but only by a narrow margin.

I'll take up the issue again the next time someone adds a stripe to their breezers or inverts a sock pattern and the board flips out.

nhl94vansigpng.png

The parents will be delighted to hear that they're probably be on clearance within the next couple weeks, collecting dust.

OttawaSenators.png

The parents will be delighted to hear that they're probably be on clearance within the next couple weeks, collecting dust.

But that's why. There so ugly and in a few years they'll probably be on par (if not worse) with Wild Wing, Burger King and Fishsticks.

It's just so bad I want it, it's like those gaudy Christmas sweaters people wear. You don't wear it all the time, you wear it a few times over the year.

IEI5Tg1.png

But that's why. There so ugly and in a few years they'll probably be on par (if not worse) with Wild Wing, Burger King and Fishsticks.

It's just so bad I want it, it's like those gaudy Christmas sweaters people wear. You don't wear it all the time, you wear it a few times over the year.

I was thinking the same thing.

Isles released their Stadium Series jersey:

http://islanders.nhl.com/club/news.htm?id=693280&navid=nhl:topheads

Not sure I understand this part of the write-up:

When the Islanders step out of the dugout and onto the ice at Yankee Stadium, New York’s most famous field, they’ll be sporting a sharp new look to commemorate the once-in-a-lifetime occasion.

Outfitted in a signature 2014 Coors Light Stadium Series New York™ jersey, the Islanders will wear a sleek, Islanders-blue sweater with a chrome, modern take on the Islanders traditional logo, as well as matching pants and new socks. Full-season ticket subscribers can now place their orders for the exclusive jersey that team captain John Tavares and the Islanders will wear. The jersey will become available to all fans on Black Friday, Nov. 29.

“It’s sharp,” said Tavares, who recently modeled the jersey. “It’s going more for the modern look, which I think is a great idea, especially with so many teams going back to the retro. We’re going to look good when we go out there.”

The logo, which features the iconic NY lettering and hockey stick with four stripes for the franchise’s four Stanley Cups, was lifted from the team’s historic mark, enlarged and infused with a chrome border. Reebok, who designed the jersey with input from the NHL and members of the Islanders upper management, employed a new manufacturing process allowing the logo to be displayed as a hi-resolution image on the crest, which pops off the blue sweater. The logo is also featured on the custom hockey pants the Islanders will wear for the outdoor event.

“The logo stands out,” Casey Cizikas said. “That’s the main objective of the jersey. That’s what you want to see and that’s the most important part. It makes the jersey perfect.”

Another variation on the jersey is the white nameplate, with blue lettering, for players’ names – a tinge of vintage in an otherwise cutting-edge jersey.

“I love the nameplates with the white on the back,” Matt Martin said. “Our gloves have a little bit of white on them. It’s awesome with the chrome. The logo and the colors are bold. It’s going be a great jersey and I can’t wait to get my hands on them.”

While all the traditional Islanders colors are present on the jersey, the ratios have shifted. Islanders blue dominates the jersey, but the white shoulder area, nameplates, numbers and trim have a powerful presence on the sweater. Orange is used sparingly, much like the Islanders current jerseys, but at points of emphasis: the four stripes on the stick to highlight the four Stanley Cup championships, border player’s enlarged numbers and complete the sleeves, socks, pants and gloves.

“The four bands definitely stand out more because there’s no other orange in the logo,” Martin said. “That game is going to be a lot of fun and it’s definitely nice to have something to remember it by.”

Make sure to get your commemorative jersey for this can’t-miss event. Click here to buy tickets for the Stadium Series game and reserve your seat at Yankee Stadium

-- How do the Isles use orange sparingly? Hrm...something smells fishy here. Almost as though that color will slowly be phased out as the club moves to Brooklyn. I think fans will riot if blue and white aren't part of the uniform, but why do I see the Isles becoming (for at minimum their alt jersey) black/white/blue...with "tinges" of orange?

I think it's cool how the Rangers are the designated road team against New Jersey and Long Island for their games in New York City. Can't give up those sweet MSG dates.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Well, I think the Islanders utilize white on their home jersey above orange. I think of them as blue-white-orange, where as the Oilers are blue-orange-white.

Still, it makes sense what you're speculating. They could drop orange and go blue-and-white to ape the Dodgers. And they could also throw black in to ape the Nets. Either way, it will be a disaster and fans will be enraged.

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Well, I think the Islanders utilize white on their home jersey above orange. I think of them as blue-white-orange, where as the Oilers are blue-orange-white.

Yeah, this is precisely why I don't mind both of them having the same color scheme. That and blue and orange are complementary colors and naturally look good together.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Still, it makes sense what you're speculating. They could drop orange and go blue-and-white to ape the Dodgers. And they could also throw black in to ape the Nets. Either way, it will be a disaster and fans will be enraged.

Your ass better caaaaaaaaaaaaaaaaall somebodyyyyyyyyyyyyyy! DX :)

Thanks for hearing me out on my speculation. At some point, don't you have to "do you?" By 2025, there are going to be 8 year old little boys running around wearing uniforms that reference Long Island, the Brooklyn Dodgers and the Nets, and they'll have really no idea what these things mean. (I'm assuming the Nets will go bankrupt, too).

When every change is treated like Islanders fishsticks it becomes impossible to take any of you seriously. The Sabres alt is bad. When calm I can think of at least six current uniforms that are worse.

Here's where you're wrong. You can think of six current uniforms that are worse then the Sabres' alternate, in your opinion. So someone else, thinking just as clearly as you, the Sabres' alternate uniform just might be the worst in the league currently. And that's not an overreaction if they truly think that.

Actually, where he is wrong is that not every change is viewed as the Isles fishsticks (which by the way, a vocal minority here love).

For example, people fell all over themselves praising the Vikings recent update. We had a decent split on the Dolphins. And the Jags was universally panned, but c'mon. Most people are happy with the Texas Rangers update. Most are still wiping drool off their chins from the Blue Jays update. Most (not me) like the Orioles "Happy Bird" update. I could go on.

So yeah, there is a lot of negativity, which frankly is to be expected in this era of manufacturers doing all they can to make team uniforms billboards for their brands (and the teams complying). See football, college.

I suppose the memes and hyperbole (which I do not partake in) are disproportionate with 1) the importance of the topic and 2) the level of awfulness. But that's not this place. That's the internet. It's best to have your own personal translator (i.e., "I do not want to live in this world anymore" = "I don't like this silly Sabres cape jersey.") and not get hung up in the message.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Archived