2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

No, the last thing we need is for the Flames to wear the throwbacks full time. Not only is there not enough contrast between the red and yellow, but those jerseys make me want to recalibrate my television every time they appear.

No. No no no no no.

While I agree there could be more contrast, I'll take the throwbacks full time if it means getting rid of those other two jerseys with 10 different striping patterns and tacky flags. Now that the Oilers has gotten rid of their first edge set completely, the Flames are the worst dressed team in the league. I can't believe those jerseys are still around.

If they do go with the throwbacks full time, the road whites will be beauties. That being said, I feel they would need to tweak the red ones so there's better contrast, accuracy be damned.

All that being said, I know the pre-Edge homes were love it or hate it with the black C, but I'd like to see them go back to that set if they can.

Saturate the current red, go athletic gold, black trim and pants, kill the piping and those stupid flags (as pedantic as the VANCOUVER across the Canucks jerseys), done, and a good looking set.

Welcome to DrunjFlix

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

No, the last thing we need is for the Flames to wear the throwbacks full time. Not only is there not enough contrast between the red and yellow, but those jerseys make me want to recalibrate my television every time they appear.

No. No no no no no.

While I agree there could be more contrast, I'll take the throwbacks full time if it means getting rid of those other two jerseys with 10 different striping patterns and tacky flags. Now that the Oilers has gotten rid of their first edge set completely, the Flames are the worst dressed team in the league. I can't believe those jerseys are still around.

If they do go with the throwbacks full time, the road whites will be beauties. That being said, I feel they would need to tweak the red ones so there's better contrast, accuracy be damned.

All that being said, I know the pre-Edge homes were love it or hate it with the black C, but I'd like to see them go back to that set if they can.

Saturate the current red, go athletic gold, black trim and pants, kill the piping and those stupid flags (as pedantic as the VANCOUVER across the Canucks jerseys), done, and a good looking set.

Maybe you've been staring at the University of Maryland's uniforms for too long, but seriously, even if you killed the piping, removed the flags, the Flames jersey is still bad. The Theo Fleury Stanley Cup uniforms were the best hands down because of simplicity and no one over-thinking the design. If you wanted to add a little contrast to the Flames jerseys between the red and the yellow, you add a darker red between the yellow and the red and be done with it and never again bring black into the uniform again. Black is not the answer to all problems and that right there in sports design is the biggest problem, people don't have any design sense so they just add black. Which is why since the Fluery uniforms were ditched the Flames have looked bad. Until they ditch the black, they will look bad. A darker red as an accent will make the colors pop a lot more than black will.

the ever-popular self-plug of what a team should look like...

i darkened tweaked the shades of red and yellow on the flames uniforms and dropped the black... i think the deeper red gives just the amount of contrast needed, while still feeling very firey. a great update to the classics that makes the flames look respectable.

cgy-road.png

cgy-home.png

It wouldn't be "stealing." The Islanders have spent all of their existence on Long Island, outside of New York City, but they're called New York because Long Island is recognized as being part of the New York metro area.

The Islanders example is bad one, because even if they weren't in the metro area, they're still in New York State, so they have the right to be called New York Islanders. "Long Island Islanders" would be redundant, and they don't play in a major city, so "New York" is the best way to go.

Long Island Islanders brought back memories of this:

3dhockey.png

not sure what is more of note, the redundancy of Long Island Islanders, how awful the uniforms were in the game or how bad hockey games looked on the 64.

Edit: Cole that is a beautiful Calgary Flames set. if they was to wear something like that,the set would be instantly top 3 in the league.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

3dhockey.png

This picture makes no sense. They had to have the NHL license to use the logos, yes? So wouldn't that also mean they could use the names? The only time I ever saw Long Island used was then they only had the NHLPA license.

the ever-popular self-plug of what a team should look like...

i darkened tweaked the shades of red and yellow on the flames uniforms and dropped the black... i think the deeper red gives just the amount of contrast needed, while still feeling very firey. a great update to the classics that makes the flames look respectable.

cgy-road.png

cgy-home.png

That's a joy to look at. I love it.

The current red and yellow is just too garish. It's okay for an alternate uni that gets used sparodically, but this would be a better option for a regular jersey. Better than their current home and road by quite a bit.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Did anyone notice on the cbc broadcast during he flames game, they showed a graphic of an upcoming game with the senators using the face logo. The mouth region clearly looked a bit different, almost like he was pursing his lips or something. It looked smaller. Anyone?

This:

Senatorsupdate.pngsenators-logo.gif

That's all it was. The mouth line looked shorter and it is, but not by much. Looked a bit smaller even than this, which is why it caught my hawk eye.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

3dhockey.png

This picture makes no sense. They had to have the NHL license to use the logos, yes? So wouldn't that also mean they could use the names? The only time I ever saw Long Island used was then they only had the NHLPA license.

I would guess that when making it they didn't have the nhl license at first or wasn't sure if they were going to get it, and then they did but kept the Long Island name in.

The title is "The NHLPA & THE NHL Present Wayne Gretzkey's 3D Hockey" and the logo for the videogame uses the nhlpa logo.

199279_28088_front.jpg

apparently the Blue Jackets have new helmet stickers for when they wear the third jerseys that say COLUMBUS in the same font as the crest of the third jersey.

Previously they've left the regular primary logos on the helmets and changed the number decals. It always bugged me so I'm glad they corrected it.

edit: found a picture

Untitled_zps558dff95.png

Hey, do you have the source for that picture?

Can't forget how the goalies used to turn to brick walls when that made an amazing save or the net would catch fire after a certain amount of goals... That might have been on the Wayne Gretzky's 3D Hockey '98 though... I believe that Midway also made a Nagano Olympic hockey game as well back in 1998 which was the exact same as these games.

I wouldn't mind it at all if score tickers and such said "Long Island" instead of "NY Islanders." In a way, that's their official location rather than New York, since the franchise was specifically issued to Long Island.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

No. No no no no no.

I don't mind if there is a little black trim on the jersey and around the logo but the helmet and pants need to stay red. There are already too many teams wearing red jerseys and black pants/helmets (Chicago, New Jersey, Ottawa). Athletic gold is drastically underused in the NHL so it makes no sense for the Flames to demote it to a tertiary colour.

God I hate the Islanders 3rds. Just ruins everything they did to improve their look.

you know, it really is true. i was thinking about it while i had the game on yesterday and that monstrosity really muddles a very sharp visual brand. even their graphics on their site are so strong in royal and orange. heck, their motto for the '13 season is "orange & blue + you." it's kind of hilarious to trot out the black.

not that i'd necessarily be opposed to a black brooklyn style third when they eventually move. but it'd have to be done in a traditional motif to blend with the rest of their set.

any whispers on if the isles' third will be two years-and-done?

sig2024.png

God I hate the Islanders 3rds. Just ruins everything they did to improve their look.

you know, it really is true. i was thinking about it while i had the game on yesterday and that monstrosity really muddles a very sharp visual brand. even their graphics on their site are so strong in royal and orange. heck, their motto for the '13 season is "orange & blue + you." it's kind of hilarious to trot out the black.

not that i'd necessarily be opposed to a black brooklyn style third when they eventually move. but it'd have to be done in a traditional motif to blend with the rest of their set.

any whispers on if the isles' third will be two years-and-done?

If they must have a third, I'd like a navy version similar to their original Edge uniform. Those got a lot of hate, mainly because they still weren't the classic Isles uniforms, but as compared to the current third those looked amazing.

From head to toe the current thirds are awful. The blue helmet looks out of place (should be black), the jerseys contain every awful trend in hockey jerseys (with the exception of vintage white), I hate the pant stripes simply for how they connect to the jersey. And for the sake of the head to toe argument, I hate the socks and skates too.

70389454.png

The Islanders first edge jerseys got a lot of hate for a good reason... They were awful. Bring back the below jersey as the alternate and never change anything again.

6a95723f7da58009.jpg

My only complaint about that as an alternate is that it is very close to their current Home. I didn't like the original edge as their only jerseys, but as a third it's different enough to standout from the home and away, but isn't an eyesore like the current third.

70389454.png

3dhockey.png

Another possibility could be that the programming for the game probably went into "lolkaput" mode trying to recognize 2 teams labeled as New York, so instead they just named one team Long Island and the other New York. This was also my first extended exposure to the NHL (& hockey that didn't involve those zany kids from the Mighty Ducks), so imagine my surprise when I found out they weren't the Long Island Islanders.

That's what I'm sayin. Compare those two photos above. Not only does the home Jersey look MILES better than the thirds, but it's the numbers that make the Big difference in look & legibility

Personally I find the double-outlined numbers and named harder to read. Different strokes, I guess.

Also, are the Isles monstrosities hated by fans and being pressured to be removed, or do they sell well (with the trendy "Aw kewl its black!" crowd).

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Archived