2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Is there a better shot of the Penguins hem / tail?

"The views expressed here are mine and do not reflect the official opinion of my employer or the organization through which the Internet was accessed."

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply
What a spectacular matchup last night. The primary crests are great examples of how minor modifications can make previously mediocre logos look fantastic. The canucks need to wear that jersey full time.
p5kc.jpg

Holy crap. I watched the first 2 periods of that game and I didn't notice that the Canucks were wearing their alternates.

What a spectacular matchup last night. The primary crests are great examples of how minor modifications can make previously mediocre logos look fantastic. The canucks need to wear that jersey full time.
p5kc.jpg

They don't think the Stick N Rink logo is strong enough to be the primary. The Orca and the Vancover arch is too prominently used, and I don't see the owner eliminating all those marks. If they were to apply those changes you're proposing, they would have done it a long time ago.

The Canucks have never worn a good uniform, except possibly the Messier era road... The flying skate is awesome for my childhood nostalgia, but they still have never had anything worth keeping. Now is no exception.

the stick-in-rink is worlds better than the orca-c-under-wordmark... in navy and silver, on a sweater with neither color.

how that isn't mentioned as one of the worst reebok designs, ahead of the DALLAS jerseys, avs aprons, and oilers pajamas, i will never understand.

Yeah, a lot of people sort of hand-waved it away saying "don't worry, it's just a marketing tool for Vancouver Olympics souvenirs, after the Olympics it'll go away." Well, we're coming up on the next Winter Games and it's still here. I'd prefer the Johnny Canuck in the V, the skating Johnny Canuck, the interlocking VC that never ended up being used, even the new stick-in-rink, which I very much dislike. But no more orca, no more arched Vancouver.

blue and green just dont look good together imo

They look fantastic together. Royal blue and kelly green is a very British Columbian color palette. I might rescind your "poster to watch" designation for this misstep.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Waiting for the announcement when Columbus gets a game at the Horseshoe. Only fitting, that the Red Wings are the other team.

You might be waiting a while on that one. Not sure the NHL is in a hot rush to put a small market team with no marketable stars in a marquee event game.

I think they'll inevitably get it eventually, but they're near the bottom of the priority list, especially since they landed the All Star Game.

I think St. Louis, Colorado, San Jose, Dallas, Minnesota, Carolina, Nashville and even another game in NYC at either Giants Stadium or CITI Field are all higher up the list to host.

sig.png

They don't think the Stick N Rink logo is strong enough to be the primary. The Orca and the Vancover arch is too prominently used, and I don't see the owner eliminating all those marks. If they were to apply those changes you're proposing, they would have done it a long time ago.

They could still use the Orca on merchandise... Maybe even get brave enough to make a green third with that logo. As the design trends of the last 5 years have shown, when it comes to good jersey crests, simple is effective. And since the current colour scheme originated with that logo, it works.

The Canucks have never worn a good uniform, except possibly the Messier era road... The flying skate is awesome for my childhood nostalgia, but they still have never had anything worth keeping. Now is no exception.

Actually?

The Canucks should go back to the Bure era uniforms. Those were they best they ever worn.

I disagree. The logo is poorly rendered and has as little to do with a "Canuck" as the orca. The colour scheme might have been original (albeit garish) when the Flying V debuted but once red replaced orange, it just became a worse version of the Flames.

the stick-in-rink is worlds better than the orca-c-under-wordmark... in navy and silver, on a sweater with neither color.

how that isn't mentioned as one of the worst reebok designs, ahead of the DALLAS jerseys, avs aprons, and oilers pajamas, i will never understand.

The Canucks aren't the first team to use a logo with a colour not found in the striping or vice versa. Since Royal blue and white appear on both elements, I don't see the problem. The Orca would look terrible with green just like the striping would look terrible with Navy. It's not perfect but they've achieved a nice balance. Using the updated stick n' rink would completely eliminate this problem too.

I know its okay to use colors in logos that aren't in the sweater. Its what makes.the Blackhawks look so good... But in Vancouver's case it looks to me like a blank Reebok replica jersey that was crested for a beer league team. It simply looks tacked on to me. Disjointed.

I don't get where all the hate for the Orca comes from.

Of all the logos the Canucks have had, it best reflects the identity. Sure it's not some Canadian lumberjack skating around, but it reflects the location and incorporates a native theme.

Their first logo was the end of a hockey stick and their second logo was (supposed to be) a skate. To me it's just a bunch of poorly rendered lines. Terrible logo.

I'm not a fan of the word mark above the logo, at least on the home, but this logo and set is by far the best the identity-crisis Canucks have ever worn.

At this point, they just to pick something and roll with it. Had they kept the flying skate, or the previous color set, fine. But they've changed COMPLETELY 4 times. From green and blue to black and gold to navy and red back to green and blue.

JUST STICK WITH SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Chris Farley screaming bus driver from Billy Madison voice*

sig.png

I don't get where all the hate for the Orca comes from.

Of all the logos the Canucks have had, it best reflects the identity. Sure it's not some Canadian lumberjack skating around, but it reflects the location and incorporates a native theme.

Their first logo was the end of a hockey stick and their second logo was (supposed to be) a skate. To me it's just a bunch of poorly rendered lines. Terrible logo.

I'm not a fan of the word mark above the logo, at least on the home, but this logo and set is by far the best the identity-crisis Canucks have ever worn.

At this point, they just to pick something and roll with it. Had they kept the flying skate, or the previous color set, fine. But they've changed COMPLETELY 4 times. From green and blue to black and gold to navy and red back to green and blue.

JUST STICK WITH SOMETHING!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! *Chris Farley screaming bus driver from Billy Madison voice*

The hate comes from the fact that logo was an extension of the team's original corporate logo and name, Orca Bay Sports And Entertainment. This might get some hate on its own, but I could care less about the native theme. At the time of the unveiling of the logo, it seemed like native artwork was the "in" thing in B.C. atleast, (it still might be) just like how teal and purple was popular. It's true that neither the stick and rink or skate logos are great, but I'll take either over the orca any day. I agree with you that they should pick one and stick with it, but it's not that great to begin with, then why stick with it?

Sorry if these were posted already. Red Wings goalie Petr Mrazek's pads:

BboMacLIIAAdKD6.jpg

And here's Reimer's winter classic pads:

BbostP5CEAAJKH8.jpg

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Sorry if these were posted already. Red Wings goalie Petr Mrazek's pads:

BboMacLIIAAdKD6.jpg

Are these just for the Winter Classic? These are amazing! I hate when it's the backup goalies that do cool stuff for these games and then you never actually get to see it on the ice.

Archived