2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

God I hate the Islanders 3rds. Just ruins everything they did to improve their look.

you know, it really is true. i was thinking about it while i had the game on yesterday and that monstrosity really muddles a very sharp visual brand. even their graphics on their site are so strong in royal and orange. heck, their motto for the '13 season is "orange & blue + you." it's kind of hilarious to trot out the black.

not that i'd necessarily be opposed to a black brooklyn style third when they eventually move. but it'd have to be done in a traditional motif to blend with the rest of their set.

any whispers on if the isles' third will be two years-and-done?

If they must have a third, I'd like a navy version similar to their original Edge uniform. Those got a lot of hate, mainly because they still weren't the classic Isles uniforms, but as compared to the current third those looked amazing.

From head to toe the current thirds are awful. The blue helmet looks out of place (should be black), the jerseys contain every awful trend in hockey jerseys (with the exception of vintage white), I hate the pant stripes simply for how they connect to the jersey. And for the sake of the head to toe argument, I hate the socks and skates too.

i respectfully disagree on the isles' original edge jersey. that too could be accused of awful trends melding together: lace up collar, front number, contrasting shoulder yoke piping, etc. i have a JT edge 2.0 bc it was his rookie season jersey, but man those things were terrible.

truthfully, I despise navy as a part of the isles scheme. IMO, it never worked for them.

sig2024.png

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

God I hate the Islanders 3rds. Just ruins everything they did to improve their look.

you know, it really is true. i was thinking about it while i had the game on yesterday and that monstrosity really muddles a very sharp visual brand. even their graphics on their site are so strong in royal and orange. heck, their motto for the '13 season is "orange & blue + you." it's kind of hilarious to trot out the black.

not that i'd necessarily be opposed to a black brooklyn style third when they eventually move. but it'd have to be done in a traditional motif to blend with the rest of their set.

any whispers on if the isles' third will be two years-and-done?

If they must have a third, I'd like a navy version similar to their original Edge uniform. Those got a lot of hate, mainly because they still weren't the classic Isles uniforms, but as compared to the current third those looked amazing.

From head to toe the current thirds are awful. The blue helmet looks out of place (should be black), the jerseys contain every awful trend in hockey jerseys (with the exception of vintage white), I hate the pant stripes simply for how they connect to the jersey. And for the sake of the head to toe argument, I hate the socks and skates too.

i respectfully disagree on the isles' original edge jersey. that too could be accused of awful trends melding together: lace up collar, front number, contrasting shoulder yoke piping, etc. i have a JT edge 2.0 bc it was his rookie season jersey, but man those things were terrible.

truthfully, I despise navy as a part of the isles scheme. IMO, it never worked for them.

if they eliminated the shoulder yolk, it would look great on the penguins.

islandersscroll.gif

Spoilers!

I think navy was okay for the Isanders, but it never really did their look justice. The royal blue looks so much nicer. Black on the other hand just makes me lose faith in humanity every time I see it.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

What was wrong with these?

5663006905_0d78522dfc_z.jpg

I always felt that was their best look before they went crawling back to their current forgettable throwbackian toggery.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I just never understood why they abandoned that unique combo of colors to revert back to an uglier version of what the Oilers have.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Thats a nice artistic rendering of that jersey, but in reality it wasn't the best. Their current looks is the best they could ever be though. I love it so much I have almost considered purchasing it despite not being a fan of the team.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

Thats a nice artistic rendering of that jersey, but in reality it wasn't the best. Their current looks is the best they could ever be though. I love it so much I have almost considered purchasing it despite not being a fan of the team.

I couldn't find a good pic of it, so that awkward drawing would have to work.

"Best" is obviously 100% subjective around here, but the love for their current is all a part of the aura of "Go Back To Wearing What They Wore When They Were Good." It actually works for the Oilers, since they probably should never have left their old look, but the Islanders have become notorious for having craptastic uniforms.

Are these current fauxback ones the best? Nah, but they're certainly not the worst. There isn't a look for that team that's ever been argued as their most widely agreeable set, at least in my opinion.

Like Bill Cutting once awesomely said (paraphrased and edited for context):

"I recognize your crappy, boring uniforms. You are neither cold nor hot. so because you are lukewarm, I will spew you out of my mouth. You can build your filthy franchise brand without me. I took the fisherman, now I'll take the black alternate. You tell Charles Wang I'm gonna paint Uniondale with navy and orange. Two coats."

twitter

I always felt that was their best look before they went crawling back to their current forgettable throwbackian toggery.

I thought those were great

guerin.jpg

blakegettyimages-774795.jpg

the orange sleeves provided a nice splash of color and they still looked like the Islanders. The yokes were probably a step too far and the jerseys would've looked way better without them, but I could've lived with it.

My issue with the current uniforms/throwbacks is that they're not quite the cup era uniforms. If you're not going to wear the cup unis, what's the point?

PvO6ZWJ.png

I loved those islanders uniforms. They're not better than the current set (which should be changed to the cup-era jerseys), but definitely work as a alternate. The yoke was a bit much, but besides that little detail, they deserve to be worn again. That black jersey looks like something my cat threw up.

On the bright side, everybody has brought life into this otherwise-moribund sub-forum.

Absolutely perplexed by the amount of praise these are receiving as of late. They had to among the most visually unappealing, poorly thought out jerseys in league history. They go with a traditional template and ruin it with pointless front numbers, razor thin hem stripes that contour to the scoop and that awful phantom shoulder yoke. The way it boxed in that uninspired, 4 stripes, logo was particularly awful. The current primaries by comparison were a god send.

Front numbers, phantom shoulder yoke, too much orange, did not look like this when winning four consecutive championships.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Absolutely perplexed by the amount of praise these are receiving as of late. They had to among the most visually unappealing, poorly thought out jerseys in league history. They go with a traditional template and ruin it with pointless front numbers, razor thin hem stripes that contour to the scoop and that awful phantom shoulder yoke. The way it boxed in that uninspired, 4 stripes, logo was particularly awful. The current primaries by comparison were a god send.

yup, this x100.

sig2024.png

I thought those were great

guerin.jpg

blakegettyimages-774795.jpg

the orange sleeves provided a nice splash of color and they still looked like the Islanders. The yokes were probably a step too far and the jerseys would've looked way better without them, but I could've lived with it.

My issue with the current uniforms/throwbacks is that they're not quite the cup era uniforms. If you're not going to wear the cup unis, what's the point?

I think if the Isles must have a third, make it orange. I think they looked sharp in orange right before edge, but the template sucked. Personally, I'd take the above template, make orange the primary color with blue and white trim. THAT would be nice.

sig.png

To each their own, but there is no possible way you could tell me that you would rather have this as a third:

moulson.jpg?w=304&h=272

I'm not saying the original Isles edge jerseys were the best ever, they had their issues. But they could be used as the basis of a MUCH better third jersey than the disgusting thing they call a third right now.

70389454.png

At this point, I'm thinking maybe the Islanders should just be one of those teams that doesn't have an alternate. Their default look is fine on its own, and clearly anything else this team tries ends up hit-or-miss at best. If they feel they absolutely need an alternate, an orange version of their home probably would be the best way to go IMO, although I'm still not sure if it'll turn out very well.

I also greatly prefer the Isles' first Edge look. The orange sleeves looked damn good, and the color combo was perfect.

I also prefer this to the Isles' current set:

496297_display_image.jpg?1297659911

IMO, the Islanders' current uniforms are a little bit too bright and honestly look really dated. Somehow you can just tell that they came from the '70s. It lacks the timeless feel of a good throwback uniform or their last CCM set, while also losing the visual interest of their Edge 1.0 set.

xLmjWVv.png

POTD: 2/4/12 3/4/12

Archived