2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I'd like to see a New York Americans style sweater done up for their move to Brooklyn.

Good idea, but only if orange replaces red. Don't think the islanders should ever wear Rangers colours even if it's just an alternate.

I'd like to see a New York Americans style sweater done up for their move to Brooklyn.

Good idea, but only if orange replaces red. Don't think the islanders should ever wear Rangers colours even if it's just an alternate.

Agreed. I wouldn't want to see them wear New York Americans throwbacks. Rather I'd like to see an Americans-inspired alt done up in Islanders colours. I mean it would only be fitting. The Islanders moving to Brooklyn would be the first time since the New York/Brooklyn Americans that NYC-proper has hosted two NHL teams.

It's bad enough that a lot of people act like the Islanders are just a historical footnote; the Americans were a historical footnote. I'd prefer that the Isles do nothing to their identity and just treat their Brooklyn residency as an unfortunate obligation rather than something to celebrate, because in this case it isn't. Of course, I'm still holding out hope that the ice plant spontaneously combusts and they can never find the replacement parts and so an NHL team is never made to permanently reside in a rink that doesn't have seats in one end.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

The problem is it's the Islanders were talking about. I don't see how they do not milk the Brooklyn move for a few bucks. With the success of the Nets merchandise, they are going to have to include some Brooklyn apparel featuring the Islanders logo.

70389454.png

They just worsened it. Now it's just an outline-filled mess. The first one was better.

Well at least it's not official..... yet.

So who knows? Just have to wait until after this season to see the final results. I like the direction they're going with the "D-star" and Texas alternate logo.

XXFrXXX.png?1

140khld.jpg
7fwPZnE.png
8643298391_d47584a085_b.jpg

I also prefer this to the Isles' current set:

496297_display_image.jpg?1297659911

IMO, the Islanders' current uniforms are a little bit too bright and honestly look really dated. Somehow you can just tell that they came from the '70s. It lacks the timeless feel of a good throwback uniform or their last CCM set, while also losing the visual interest of their Edge 1.0 set.

You took the words right out of my mouth. I thought the Isles' pre-Edge jerseys were the best they ever looked and I don't know why they ever changed from them. The current uniforms do look really dated and just scream '1970s'. And as others have said, if they wanted to go back to their "classic" look, why didn't they just bring back the dynasty era uniforms? At least those would still look good today, 4 Stanley Cups or not. The uniforms they're currently wearing are from the pre-dynasty era.

Somehow you can just tell that they came from the '70s.

That's not inherently a bad thing. Don't fix what isn't broken.

No, but in this case, it is a bad thing, it is broken, and it needs fixing.

Why? The sweaters sport a basic but clean striping pattern. The logo, while dated, isn't going anywhere. They tried to get rid of it and the fans revolted. Objectively it's not a well designed logo, but it works for the team that uses it.

Care to explain why it's "broken?"

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

Why? The sweaters sport a basic but clean striping pattern. The logo, while dated, isn't going anywhere. They tried to get rid of it and the fans revolted. Objectively it's not a well designed logo, but it works for the team that uses it.

The pre edge jerseys were great but the current set is the best they've ever looked. The new colours look spectacular... so much more vibrant than the dynasty era scheme

Care to explain why it's "broken?"

I already explained it in my previous post and others have as well.

IMO, the Islanders' current uniforms are a little bit too bright and honestly look really dated. Somehow you can just tell that they came from the '70s. It lacks the timeless feel of a good throwback uniform or their last CCM set, while also losing the visual interest of their Edge 1.0 set.

And that's exactly the thing that's bugging me about the Isles uniforms. I mean, they look nice an' all, but when you're dressed like it's the 70's and you're playing in a building which is old and crappy and falling apart... well, it's not a great image for this franchise to have.

As opposed to the Ducks current crap of uniforms? Anything in the 70's is better than the black and gold, cutesy font, oh wait now let's add some orange the Ducks currently wear. When your team has a bad look, you really shouldn't comment on other teams looks. It's kind of like Joan Rivers commenting on how other people are dressed.

Maybe you should the :censored: up

I'll say this much. The Fishsticks sweater probably would have been received better as an alternate.

I think they simply did too much with it. The waves/swirls and odd lettering and numbering simply looked too corny and it most definitely wouldn't have aged well. Had they kept the same deeper colours and a more basic striping pattern with the new logo set, I think they could still be using it today. No one with any basic artistic or design understanding thinks the original logo is better than the fisherman or lighthouse.

And that's exactly the thing that's bugging me about the Isles uniforms. I mean, they look nice an' all, but when you're dressed like it's the 70's and you're playing in a building which is old and crappy and falling apart... well, it's not a great image for this franchise to have.

As opposed to the Ducks current crap of uniforms? Anything in the 70's is better than the black and gold, cutesy font, oh wait now let's add some orange the Ducks currently wear. When your team has a bad look, you really shouldn't comment on other teams looks. It's kind of like Joan Rivers commenting on how other people are dressed.

Maybe you should the :censored: up

In fairness the Ducks home and road uniforms aren't exactly the most interesting to look at. They're not hideous, just boring. I've grown tired of them, but they're still better looking than the messes a few other teams are wearing, including the Kings.

Either way, not sure why being a fan of a team with mediocre uniforms means I'm not allowed to comment on others. Sorta defeats the purpose of being on these boards in the first place.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

I'll say this much. The Fishsticks sweater probably would have been received better as an alternate.

Agreed it was too much of a change, fans would've been more up to a slow transition to it.

Hands down my favourite Islanders uniform. If you ask me (and most people do) a fisherman, waves and lighthouses is much cooler than two letters, a woodmark and an orange scribble.

The Catch of the Day!

Archived