2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Mighty McCarthy. I like that.

Sorry, I was drinking.

That's a damn shame. The Wild's current white jersey is the only one in the set which doesn't flat out suck.

Agreed. Not only does it not flat suck, it looks pretty good in my eyes. If they kept it and made a green version they'd be one of the best looking teams in the league.

The Wild got it absolutely perfect on their first try and have been mucking it up ever since.

Original jerseys + current home as the alt = the perfect Minnesota Wild jersey set.

Yep. The Original Iron Range red was a great jersey.,, Just not full time.

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I can't remember the last time they've worn the red sweaters against the Hawks. Always the green. Which is fine (or would be fine but for the stupid phantom yoke), because the green looks better and is truer to Minnesota hockey.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I actually like the current iteration of the red jersey better than the original. I think the piping works; the green on the sleeve looks kinda arbitrary on the orginal. I would like the current red as an alt for the originals.

Though I actually agree with Old Roman...it would be better with the logo being larger and not inside a faux retro circle.

Talk about a team making the wrong uniform choices when the correct ones are so bleepin obvious (referencing myself from another thread FTW). In the Wild's case they've made like 7 wrong choices in the face of obvious correct choices.

They looked their best on opening night 2000 and they've been chipping away at a solid identity ever since. They're the NHL's Jacksonville Jaguars.

tell me about it. They hit such a home run with the first set. And every time they touch it, the make it worse. My team's gone from top ten (easily and maybe even best post-original 6) to maybe below the median by marginalizing a great logo, having no continuity, and following silly trends.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Was it a home run? Their numerals were Futura Black with jagged edges. The white ones still are. That's corny as hell. And the old WILD NHL HOCKEY patch was pretty corny. Also, their name is the Wild. I'd rule it a ground rule double.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

See, I can't buy into that line of thinking. The goal should be to dress the team in as good a uniform as possible. If that means going back to the past to use or update an older design then so be it. By sticking to a "never look back" policy you're effectively writing off a good deal of potential designs to choose from in pursuit of the goal of looking as good as possible. Of course the opposite is true as well. You should be open to new designs as much as you're open to using elements from the past.

I just think the 90s Cup Era set is the best the Penguins have ever looked, and anything that draws on that can only be an improvement over the generic template uniform they wear now. There's even room to use the robo-pen as an alternate patch on that design.

I think the Cup jerseys look really dated. Especially the white one that has very little contrast & a particularly unattractive hem stripe design. Since Vegas Gold isn't going anywhere they should just adapt the pre-edge design to the edge format and not change anything again. This team is worse than the Canucks when it comes to consistency.

Not by a longshot.

Not by a longshot? Both teams have had 3 basic colour schemes and by my count, Pittsburgh has had 10 different jersey sets, not even including the slight striping variations which would bring it closer to 20. Canucks have had 7 and that's including the minor striping and colour variations.

Stop it.

The Canucks have had 3 wildly different logos with none even coming close to resembling the others. The Penguins have had two and they're pretty similar in shape and color.

The Canucks have worn 3 wildly different color schemes. The Penguins have worn either navy and light blue or black and yellow/gold and they haven't changed from black-yellow/gold in 30 years.

The Canucks have one of the least consistent uniform histories in sports. The Penguins have been recognizable as the Penguins for over three decades even with striping and jersey changes.

Why because I dare argue with the mighty McCarthy, the final say on sports aesthetics? Your right about the logos and little else. Pittsburgh have over 20 jersey sets, the Canucks have 7, deal with it

Mighty McCarthy. I like that.

The Canucks uniform history is all over the place. The Penguins uniform history is a natural evolution of the same brand that's been packaged differently. The Canucks have just been repackaged over and over again. Your Canucks are in a class with the Denver Nuggets, Houston Astros, San Diego Padres, Atlanta Hawks et al as teams that haven't been able to decide what the hell they want to wear.

I'm not defending the Penguins current uniforms (or any of them really) because they're awful, but the franchise has had the same basic identity since 1980. The Canucks have had the same identity since 2007.

Sorry but McCarthy is right. The Canucks are a branding identity nightmare. Essentially the team nickname a nightmare in defining. First up is a skating ring with a hockey stick, truly a 70's logo, colors green and blue. At this point with the Penguins the colors are the double blues and the penguin in the roundel or alone on the triangle.

Second iteration, The Canucks ditch everything and start over. They now have an ice skate with movement lines, colors black, red, and yellow. The V-sweaters exist and then the logo takes over towards the end of the 80's. As for the Penguins, they take on the Pittsburgh yellow and black. Striping varies as does number placement.

Next is the 90's! The Canucks finally find a classic uniform, they ditch the yellow home for white and look terrific! The Pens change the logo for the first time since the early 70's, but still keep the colors intact.

90's part deux, the Canucks ditch everything AGAIN! Now they have the killer whale 'C' and more new colors. The Pens only add silver due to the 3rd jersey that eventually got bumped to the main away. So by the end of the 90's the Canucks had 9 (NINE!!!!!) different colors. The Penguins had 5 (Barely).

Canucks: Blue, Green, Black, Red, Yellow, Navy, Light Blue, Maroon, and Silver.

Penguins: Blue, Navy, Yellow, Black, Silver

Enter the 2000's, both teams had alot of colors with the 3rds included. Penguins had black, yellow, silver and gold. The Canucks had Navy, Light Blue, Maroon, Silver, Blue and Green! Both teams then switched to the current unis we see today. The 'nucks in blue and green, and the Pens in black and gold.

The end result is the Canucks have ditched and readopted colors for decades. The Penguins have had minor striping issues from year to year, but that's about it.

I think the Canucks got it right the first time. They changed because the colours were deemed "too passive". They're slowly moving back to their original design. With the return of their proper colour scheme hopefully they'll stick the modified stick-in-rink on the front and be done with it.

As for the Penguins, I like the Vegas gold. I think it looks great when its actually done well. I'm not saying they can't wear black and yellow because Boston does, but why would they want to? Black and Vegas gold have become recognized around the league as Pittsburgh's colours. They just have to fix the awful paint by numbers template.

Was it a home run? Their numerals were Futura Black with jagged edges. The white ones still are. That's corny as hell. And the old WILD NHL HOCKEY patch was pretty corny. Also, their name is the Wild. I'd rule it a ground rule double.

THANK YOU!

The jagged numerals looked great... still do. Not every team needs to use bloc numbers, especially an expansion team from 2000. I agree with you about the shoulder patch...

I'd hope that if the Wild adopt the "Minnesota Hockey Team" look on the road as well as at home, they'll seriously consider switching to a name other than "Wild".

Also, I don't know what the Wild's custom numeral font is based on, but it's not Futura - check out the 6 and the 9. I'll miss it though, especially since that t-shirt-shop block font is taking its place. Seriously, take a look at the "R" in that font on a jersey sometime. What garbage.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Spot on, but a ground rule double's not that bad considering that the name's downright atrocious.

They looked their best on opening night ... and they've been chipping away at a solid identity ever since.

IMO this could be said for Anaheim, Atlanta, Buffalo, Carolina, Colorado, Florida, Minnesota, (marginally) Phoenix, San Jose, Vancouver, and (marginally) Washington.

I'd hope that if the Wild adopt the "Minnesota Hockey Team" look on the road as well as at home, they'll seriously consider switching to a name other than "Wild".

Also, I don't know what the Wild's custom numeral font is based on, but it's not Futura - check out the 6 and the 9. I'll miss it though, especially since that t-shirt-shop block font is taking its place. Seriously, take a look at the "R" in that font on a jersey sometime. What garbage.

Yeah, this is total garbage. Far worse than the Sixers going to Heat Press Block, which at least looks good on the Knicks.

120704071340_parise_suter_wild_jerseys.jpg

OldRomanSig2.jpg

Sorry but McCarthy is right. The Canucks are a branding identity nightmare. Essentially the team nickname a nightmare in defining. First up is a skating ring with a hockey stick, truly a 70's logo, colors green and blue. At this point with the Penguins the colors are the double blues and the penguin in the roundel or alone on the triangle.

Second iteration, The Canucks ditch everything and start over. They now have an ice skate with movement lines, colors black, red, and yellow. The V-sweaters exist and then the logo takes over towards the end of the 80's. As for the Penguins, they take on the Pittsburgh yellow and black. Striping varies as does number placement.

Next is the 90's! The Canucks finally find a classic uniform, they ditch the yellow home for white and look terrific! The Pens change the logo for the first time since the early 70's, but still keep the colors intact.

90's part deux, the Canucks ditch everything AGAIN! Now they have the killer whale 'C' and more new colors. The Pens only add silver due to the 3rd jersey that eventually got bumped to the main away. So by the end of the 90's the Canucks had 9 (NINE!!!!!) different colors. The Penguins had 5 (Barely).

Canucks: Blue, Green, Black, Red, Yellow, Navy, Light Blue, Maroon, and Silver.

Penguins: Blue, Navy, Yellow, Black, Silver

Enter the 2000's, both teams had alot of colors with the 3rds included. Penguins had black, yellow, silver and gold. The Canucks had Navy, Light Blue, Maroon, Silver, Blue and Green! Both teams then switched to the current unis we see today. The 'nucks in blue and green, and the Pens in black and gold.

The end result is the Canucks have ditched and readopted colors for decades. The Penguins have had minor striping issues from year to year, but that's about it.

I'm sorry, but what the...? Silver for the Penguins? In what universe?

I'm sorry, but what the...? Silver for the Penguins? In what universe?

Penguins27.png

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

As a Wild fan, I will agree with most of you that the current red home sweater is an alt at best, but I never got around to liking the original home and aways. Everything was just too corny. Now here is a jersey set I can get behind (concepts section on Icethetics): 0410-bastianschmulling-min.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1365612128933

If they brought back North Stars colors....oh boy, many would be happy in Minny

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Archived