2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Don't turn the Wild into the North Stars. And don't turn them into the Golden Seals, either. Dark green, red, and wheat is an excellent color combo when implemented well. It's just that the Wild seem hellbent on coming up with lousy designs.

I find the tidal wave of North Stars nostalgia (at least among concept artists, don't know how far it extends into the real-live Minnesota hockey community) to be peculiar. This is a team that had to be rescued from imminent insolvency by having the Cleveland Barons folded into it, and averaged less than 8,000 fans per home game during the 1990-91 season of the fluke Cup Final run. Minnesotans couldn't prioritize pro hockey over college and/or high school puck for most of the North Stars' existence; now all of a sudden you need that redheaded stepchild back?

Edit: 3 and 8 are noticeably different there, too.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Here's a raster version of the official file...trust me; there were no other colors involved here outside of Black, Gold and White:

PittsburghPenguins_JFV2a_1998-2002_SCC_SRGB.png

Somehow I'm not the least bit surprised that you're the guy who eventually cleared that up. Thank you.

Mighty Ducks of Anaheim (CHL - 2018 Orr Cup Champions) Chicago Rivermen (UBA/WBL - 2014, 2015, 2017 Intercontinental Cup Champions)

King's Own Hexham FC (BIP - 2022 Saint's Cup Champions) Portland Explorers (EFL - Elite Bowl XIX Champions) Real San Diego (UPL) Red Bull Seattle (ULL - 2018, 2019, 2020 Gait Cup Champions) Vancouver Huskies (CL)

As a Wild fan, I will agree with most of you that the current red home sweater is an alt at best, but I never got around to liking the original home and aways. Everything was just too corny. Now here is a jersey set I can get behind (concepts section on Icethetics): 0410-bastianschmulling-min.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1365612128933

If they brought back North Stars colors....oh boy, many would be happy in Minny

I think turning the Wild into the North Stars Pt. 2 would be a mistake. As people have been saying, green, wheat, vintage white, whatever, and red is one of the best when executed.

AmPJ0Ty.png 

As a Wild fan, I will agree with most of you that the current red home sweater is an alt at best, but I never got around to liking the original home and aways. Everything was just too corny. Now here is a jersey set I can get behind (concepts section on Icethetics): 0410-bastianschmulling-min.png?__SQUARESPACE_CACHEVERSION=1365612128933

I think turning the Wild into the North Stars Pt. 2 would be a mistake. As people have been saying, green, wheat, vintage white, whatever, and red is one of the best when executed.

Yeah, I think the Wild's current logo set and some of their jerseys have been great, but this would be really interesting. And really, the North Stars had great uniforms that I'd just love to see come back to a certain degree

sport-scarf_vikes_zps08004021.png

Was it a home run? Their numerals were Futura Black with jagged edges. The white ones still are. That's corny as hell. And the old WILD NHL HOCKEY patch was pretty corny. Also, their name is the Wild. I'd rule it a ground rule double.

I was calling it a home run given that the team had the name "Wild". I thought the logo redeemed them as much as possible.

But I cannot argue with the numerals. I hated those. The "WILD NHL HOCKEY" patch was not great (but better than the patch on the current whites), but that could have been remedied without messing everything up.

I guess it was a home run on a more superficial level: great logo, great colors, and great looking jersey from the front view. All those other problems could have been remedied without diverging from the essential look.

Disclaimer: If this comment is about an NBA uniform from 2017-2018 or later, do not constitute a lack of acknowledgement of the corporate logo to mean anything other than "the corporate logo is terrible and makes the uniform significantly worse."

BADGERS TWINS VIKINGS TIMBERWOLVES WILD

POTD (Shared)

Those Rangers fauxbacks keep getting worse the more I see them. What really kills them is that they wear their regular pants with them, plus all the players wear their standard royal blue, snow white, and red equipment. You're the New York Frickin' Rangers, and you can't swing matching gloves or shells? Come on now.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I also hate the radial-arched names, which look downright silly on a hockey sweater. They're just awful. Look like the Rangers, please.

As for the North Stars, while Minnesotans were indeed indefensibly wrong in preferring the exploits of 16-year-old boys, that doesn't detract from the fact that the North Stars looked really cool and had a really cool name.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I think the Wild identity is one that is too unique to blow up. I feel bad because no matter what they do, the Wild will always be overshadowed by the North Stars identity, and it's a real damn shame. I say keep expanding on the Wild identity instead of having to resort to what used to work just because some people want to relive their nostalgia.

OttawaSenators.png

Yeah, I think the Wild's current logo set and some of their jerseys have been great, but this would be really interesting. And really, the North Stars had great uniforms that I'd just love to see come back to a certain degree

The North Stars identity is coming back to a large degree if the descriptions of Dallas' new uniforms are correct.

Spot on, but a ground rule double's not that bad considering that the name's downright atrocious.

That logo more than makes up for the bad name. A true modern classic that should be front and centre of both primary jerseys

As many have said already, the Wild have a beautifully unique identity but fail to utilize it properly to it's full effect. The logo is one of my favourties, and the colors work extremely well, provided that green is the dominant color and wheat (or vintage white) isn't overused as it is in the current alternate jersey. I agree that their first home jersey was easily the best they've had. I strongly dislike the roundell logo because it doesn't show off the clever logo like it should. A logo like that should be big and proud on the front of all their jerseys. A bit like the VANCOUVER script for the Canucks; I feel it takes away from the logo itself and literally shrinks it to allow for the added element in the design.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

That is a sharp uniform. Add a secondary logo to the shouders (maybe a North Star beeming over a forest) and you got yourself a winner.

The Catch of the Day!

This is a team that had to be rescued from imminent insolvency by having the Cleveland Barons folded into it, and averaged less than 8,000 fans per home game during the 1990-91 season of the fluke Cup Final run. Minnesotans couldn't prioritize pro hockey over college and/or high school puck for most of the North Stars' existence; now all of a sudden you need that redheaded stepchild back?

Geez tell me about it. Back in the late 70's the team averaged 4,000 a game. And don't forget they almost moved to Oakland in 1990 when the average attendance in the late 80's dropped to under 10,000. Even during the Cup run in 1991 they didn't start selling out thier home games until the conference final against Edmonton. The team was 2 wins away from winning the Stanley Cup in May 1991 yet only 6,000 fans showed up for their homeopener agianst the Red Wings in October 1992.

When Norm Green bought the team he offered free parking, 2 for one deals for tickets, free Pepsi for a year for season ticket purchases and they still drew under 10,000 most nights. I have some of thier home playoff games on tape from 1990 against Chicago, and I remember the game was covered by Jim Hughson and Gary Green. And when they announced the attendance at 14,000, Green went into a rant. Something like "Well where are they? Here you have the Gunds offering free parking, reduced prices etc etc. and they still can't fill the building during the playoffs?" Hughson said "Well the Timberwolves are playing right now down the street" and Garry cut him off and said "Well that doesn't matter. If they are great hockey fans here in Minnesota like they claim they are then there should be no reason for this building tonight to not be full. I don't blame the Gunds for one second for wanting to move this team out of here". Someone actually uploaded that clip to Youtube and you had all these Minnesotians posting on the comment section like "That guy is an idiot". "He's lying" (even though the camera panned through the crowd and you see acres of empty seats). "The previous game was a sellout" (a lie). They were all trying to make excuses. I think one of them complained to youtube about copyright violation or something because the clip was removed shortly thereafter due to a filed complaint. I guess some people want to surpress the truth.

BTW here is an interesting video

http://www.amazon.co...ota north stars

it really was an eye opener about how liitle people cared about the team until that run to the Finals that spring.

The Catch of the Day!

The inconsistency of their uniforms notwithstanding, I think the Wild have one of the nicer looking identities in the NHL. Although depending on how you look at it, pairing a name like the Wild with uniforms that evoke a feel of "Old Tyme Iced Hockey" is downright bizarre. That said, I don't mind the name, I wouldn't mind if they chose to change it (although I generally don't like name changes), but only if it doesn't come at the cost of their primary logo, easily one of my favourites in the NHL.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

The North Stars identity is coming back to a large degree if the descriptions of Dallas' new uniforms are correct.

Spot on, but a ground rule double's not that bad considering that the name's downright atrocious.

That logo more than makes up for the bad name. A true modern classic that should be front and centre of both primary jerseys

*chants* Norm Green sucks! Norm Green sucks!

This is a team that had to be rescued from imminent insolvency by having the Cleveland Barons folded into it, and averaged less than 8,000 fans per home game during the 1990-91 season of the fluke Cup Final run. Minnesotans couldn't prioritize pro hockey over college and/or high school puck for most of the North Stars' existence; now all of a sudden you need that redheaded stepchild back?

Geez tell me about it. Back in the late 70's the team averaged 4,000 a game. And don't forget they almost moved to Oakland in 1990 when the average attendance in the late 80's dropped to under 10,000. Even during the Cup run in 1991 they didn't start selling out thier home games until the conference final against Edmonton. The team was 2 wins away from winning the Stanley Cup in May 1991 yet only 6,000 fans showed up for their homeopener agianst the Red Wings in October 1992.

When Norm Green bought the team he offered free parking, 2 for one deals for tickets, free Pepsi for a year for season ticket purchases and they still drew under 10,000 most nights. I have some of thier home playoff games on tape from 1990 against Chicago, and I remember the game was covered by Jim Hughson and Gary Green. And when they announced the attendance at 14,000, Green went into a rant. Something like "Well where are they? Here you have the Gunds offering free parking, reduced prices etc etc. and they still can't fill the building during the playoffs?" Hughson said "Well the Timberwolves are playing right now down the street" and Garry cut him off and said "Well that doesn't matter. If they are great hockey fans here in Minnesota like they claim they are then there should be no reason for this building tonight to not be full. I don't blame the Gunds for one second for wanting to move this team out of here". Someone actually uploaded that clip to Youtube and you had all these Minnesotians posting on the comment section like "That guy is an idiot". "He's lying" (even though the camera panned through the crowd and you see acres of empty seats). "The previous game was a sellout" (a lie). They were all trying to make excuses. I think one of them complained to youtube about copyright violation or something because the clip was removed shortly thereafter due to a filed complaint. I guess some people want to surpress the truth.

BTW here is an interesting video

http://www.amazon.co...ota north stars

it really was an eye opener about how liitle people cared about the team until that run to the Finals that spring.

Well yeah, that, and the fact that his wife demanded they move due to a sexual harassment lawsuit to handle, or else she'd file for divorce...

Also, it's worth noting that in the early 90's, the Target Center was brand spankin' new, in the middle of downtown. The Met Center was sad and decrepit. The Twins and Vikings (and the new Wild) all got new facilities after the Stars went...it was a strong lesson

Archived