2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

Here's my tweak of CreamSoda's pic (before and after):

That. Is. Perfect... Seriously, if the Wild used this with a matching white they would instantly be in the top 5... This was a concept I did back in November. Aside from the thin red stripe, the green jersey is pretty much the same.

minnesotawild2.jpg

The bear head doesn't work well, because everything there is green and wheat, and suddenly there's the injection of red and yellow. It looks kinda like a splotch.

Even though I like that uniform by itself, it doesn't work well in concert with the logo and the template. I don't really see a way to incorporate red that doesn't look washed out, but then you have to completely ignore the logo for the sake of the template. It's probably better to scrap it altogether, in that case.

I don't think the injection of red and gold in the logo is a problem at all. There are tons of teams that use colours on the logo that aren't in the uniform. Phoenix, Chicago, Vancouver, Anaheim, Columbus, Winnipeg...

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Just confirms why I don't like them jerseys. They're so drab.

Am I the only who's driven nuts by how much closer the bottom of the numbers are to the hem stripes than the nameplate to the phantom yoke?

The arm numbers are spaced much more generously than the name on number.

Blackhawks-@-Wild.jpg

I would only like their jerseys/sweaters if they were blank or if they dropped the yoke. Otherwise it just looks imbalanced to me.

The worst problem with curved hem stripes. That looks bloody ridiculous. I've seen so many replicas in stores that have the number a few millimetres away from the hem stripe. I'd seriously buy a jersey a size too big for me just so the numbers wouldn't cut that close.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

Just confirms why I don't like them jerseys. They're so drab.

Am I the only who's driven nuts by how much closer the bottom of the numbers are to the hem stripes than the nameplate to the phantom yoke?

The arm numbers are spaced much more generously than the name on number.

Blackhawks-@-Wild.jpg

I would only like their jerseys/sweaters if they were blank or if they dropped the yoke. Otherwise it just looks imbalanced to me.

The worst problem with curved hem stripes. That looks bloody ridiculous. I've seen so many replicas in stores that have the number a few millimetres away from the hem stripe. I'd seriously buy a jersey a size too big for me just so the numbers wouldn't cut that close.

Those are straight hem stripes.

i think he meant curved hem lines... those hem lines do push the stripes a little higher up than they should be.

why reebok still insists on those is beyond me.

It's because it's all they have left from the Edge makeover.

I hadn't seen a real, Canadian-made "Edge 2.0" jersey up close and personal until today, when I was at the Rockford IceHogs' equipment sale. (Only $500 for a Rostislav Olesz gamer? Pinch me!) 90% of the jersey - front, back, shoulders, and sleeves - is made of the old CCM Airknit material. The jerseys are noticeably heavier again, with double-layer shoulders and reinforced elbows. The only remants of the revolutionary, game-changing Edge material is on the side inserts (which may not have even been the same as Edge material, but definitely had a bit more stretch than the Airknit), and the smooth neck trim, as opposed to the pre-Edge knit.

Reebok's original vision was going to change the game with skin-tight, tucked-in jerseys made of ultra-light, water-repellent material. They failed in nearly every regard. On top of that, most upper-level teams are now forgoing Reebok's proprietary template designs, preferring straight stripes on the sleeves and hems, and very little in the way of vertical piping. And in the process of revolutionizing the jersey, Reebok moved retail production to an area of the world that opened the floodgates to counterfeiters, and undercut their increased price points. That doofy curve on the bottom of the jersey is all Reebok has left to make themselves feel like they accomplished any of what they set out to do in 2007.

(Side note: Both retail authentic and replica AHL jerseys are made in Canada, as opposed to Indonesia. Additionally, the replicas don't have the side slits or the bottom-front jock tag - a couple of relics from the "tucked-in" era of the concept that inexplicably carried over to retail and somehow persist. So it would appear AHL fans have ample opportunity to purchase a higher-quality product than NHL fans do.)

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Does anyone know why Toronto has worn their alternate jerseys at home in the playoffs?

I really don't think there's a reason other than "because they can."

the worst helmets design to me is the Jacksonville jaguars hamlets from 1995 to 2012 because you can't see the logo vary wall

Does anyone know why Toronto has worn their alternate jerseys at home in the playoffs?

I really don't think there's a reason other than "because they can."

I actually figured it was because of this:

67leafs.JPG

Toronto has a recent* history of wearing their thirds in the playoffs. Also, I would say it's superior to their regular home.

*Recent... you know what I mean. :P

Yeah, the Leafs like to wear their historic alternates in the playoffs. I'm kind of on the fence about that myself. Yeah, it's superior to their standard set, but so long as their standard set is their set they should probably rock it for the playoffs.

Yeah, the Leafs like to wear their historic alternates in the playoffs. I'm kind of on the fence about that myself. Yeah, it's superior to their standard set, but so long as their standard set is their set they should probably rock it for the playoffs.

Same here. I love the alts, but I really think you should wear your current look in the playoffs. To me, it's odd to see Sundin score his famous* OT goal against Carolina in the 1960s throwbacks. You want great moments to be associated with your current look and brand, and not in looks from previous eras which you just brought back as a third jersey. Of course, it's not too bad, considering how close of a visual connection there is (it's not like the Penguins wearing their navy thirds), but still.

*OK, not that famous, but you get the idea.

I think the only time that alternates should be worn in the playoffs are by NBA teams when their alternate is a light-colored home jersey. Other than this, if you're alternate is so good that you wear it in the playoffs it should be your primary. Throwbacks in the playoffs are even worse. You definitely don't want to be looking back at playoff highlights and see a team wearing a jersey from fifty years before that game happened.

Wordmark_zpsaxgeaoqy.jpg

I wouldn't be opposed to the current alternate becoming the full time home with a matching white. Nothing wrong with the current set at all but that 1967 look is absolutely beautiful. Far superior logo too.

Isn't the rule in the NHL that at the beginning of the playoffs, you must pick 2 jerseys to wear throughout the entire playoffs? (Basically, the Sharks/Leafs would not be allowed to wear their regular home jerseys). I can't remember a time where a team wore 3 different jerseys in the playoffs.

that's always been rumored to be the rule.... it's why the stars only wore green or white in their cup run, because they retired the black sweater at the end of the regular season.

i don't know if it's still a rule though, since the stars/canucks series in 2007 had vancouver wear 3 different sweaters. navy at home, white on the road, but in game 7, they wore the retro blue and green. i didn't think they were allowed to, but they sure as hell did it.

round1-game7-6.jpg?w=450

game one:

game seven:

I completely agree that you shouldn't wear throwback jerseys in the playoffs. If you have a current set, that is the set you should wear in the playoffs. Save throwbacks for the regular season. If you look back on history, you want to see Toronto look like Toronto in 2013 beating Boston in game 6, not Toronto trying to look like the 70's Maple Leafs in 2013. It's all messed up and unnecessary.

I didn't like the Canucks wearing the blue and green aginst Dallas in 2007, especially as it was a once off. Shouldn't have been allowed.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

I wouldn't be opposed to the current alternate becoming the full time home with a matching white. Nothing wrong with the current set at all but that 1967 look is absolutely beautiful. Far superior logo too.

Agreed. Plus the current Maple Leaf is associated with 45 years of misery, losing, bad ownership, etc. They seemed to have turned a new leaf (hehe) as far as an on-ice product. It's a new generation. It would be different if they won a cup or two in their current set, but they've done nothing. Make the alternate into a set.

sig.png

It's because it's all they have left from the Edge makeover.

I hadn't seen a real, Canadian-made "Edge 2.0" jersey up close and personal until today, when I was at the Rockford IceHogs' equipment sale. (Only $500 for a Rostislav Olesz gamer? Pinch me!) 90% of the jersey - front, back, shoulders, and sleeves - is made of the old CCM Airknit material. The jerseys are noticeably heavier again, with double-layer shoulders and reinforced elbows. The only remants of the revolutionary, game-changing Edge material is on the side inserts (which may not have even been the same as Edge material, but definitely had a bit more stretch than the Airknit), and the smooth neck trim, as opposed to the pre-Edge knit.

Reebok's original vision was going to change the game with skin-tight, tucked-in jerseys made of ultra-light, water-repellent material. They failed in nearly every regard. On top of that, most upper-level teams are now forgoing Reebok's proprietary template designs, preferring straight stripes on the sleeves and hems, and very little in the way of vertical piping. And in the process of revolutionizing the jersey, Reebok moved retail production to an area of the world that opened the floodgates to counterfeiters, and undercut their increased price points. That doofy curve on the bottom of the jersey is all Reebok has left to make themselves feel like they accomplished any of what they set out to do in 2007.

(Side note: Both retail authentic and replica AHL jerseys are made in Canada, as opposed to Indonesia. Additionally, the replicas don't have the side slits or the bottom-front jock tag - a couple of relics from the "tucked-in" era of the concept that inexplicably carried over to retail and somehow persist. So it would appear AHL fans have ample opportunity to purchase a higher-quality product than NHL fans do.)

Do any Reebok concept photos exist of what they had in mind for the Edge? I'd assume they had some CGI concepts of the tucked in jerseys. Just wondering

70389454.png

In terms of marketing, I am surprised they wouldn't allow different jerseys to be worn. Like the NBA and MLB, alternates are worn throughout playoffs and I think it adds more to it. I am not saying that I am for it, but I think that merchandise sales would benefit from it

Go A's!

Archived