2013-2014 NHL Uniform & Logo Changes

ksupilot

The difference between the Stars and the Lightning is that the Stars are actually an old-school team with a history of traditional designs.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

• Replies 6.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

I get the whole "essentially they are the Minnesota North Stars franchise therefore that entire history belongs to them" thing, but none of the iconic North Stars uniforms were ever part of the relocation to Dallas chapter. Those beloved green and yellow uniforms are tied to the people of Minnesota to which the city of Dallas has no connection to other than franchise history. That's why I think it will be a big miss for the current organization to attempt to tap into those 'roots' in their redesign when the Dallas market is instead connected to the star shaped, Cup-winning sweaters.

Midway.png

All the pre-move to Dallas stuff should to go back to Minnesota anyway (yes I'm biased).

Not changing until the Dallas Stars give all their pre-Dallas history, logos, colors, unis, name, etc. to the Minnesota Wild.

The dodgers and lakers should also erase all their history books. Colts too. Unitas was a Raven, damnit. And the cardinals have no business wearing a grey facemask. Theyre a 90s team.

Sigh.

I get the whole "essentially they are the Minnesota North Stars franchise therefore that entire history belongs to them" thing, but none of the iconic North Stars uniforms were ever part of the relocation to Dallas chapter. Those beloved green and yellow uniforms are tied to the people of Minnesota to which the city of Dallas has no connection to other than franchise history. That's why I think it will be a big miss for the current organization to attempt to tap into those 'roots' in their redesign when the Dallas market is instead connected to the star shaped, Cup-winning sweaters.

Totally agree. Let it go, the North Stars no longer exist. It doesn't even make sense to try and ressurect that identity as they're in the south now.

I'm Danny fkn Heatley, I play for myself. That's what fkn all stars do.

The dodgers and lakers should also erase all their history books. Colts too. Unitas was a Raven, damnit. And the cardinals have no business wearing a grey facemask. Theyre a 90s team.

The Expos may finally win their 1st World Series title this year. :P

Sigh.

The way they're dressed they might as well be.

The Dallas Stars have made an effort to recognize and celebrate their history as the North Stars. It's complely appropriate for them to draw on North Stars imagery for a rebrand. This isn't going to be Yzerman dressing the Lightning up like the Maple Wings. Not by a long shot.

That and the North Stars stuff is apparently popular with Dallas Stars fans, so why not give them a uniform reminiscent of that era?

It's also popular with Wild fans.

This would all be a moot point, if they somehow figured a way to keep their star jersesys

The North Stars and Dallas Stars identity are one and the same, no different from the Atlanta Flames coming to Calgary. Black being used more prominently, Metallic Gold replacing Athletic & the Darkening of the green to where it almost looked Black would have happened regardless of the move. These were the trends of the 90's.

Mario Lemieux has no connection to the Penguins "other" than the fact that he played there. Pierre McGuire has no connection to TSN "other" than the fact that he worked there. Obama has no connection with Harvard "other" than the fact that he went there.

You see where I'm going? You're making a pretty big exception by saying "other than franchise history". Yes, they have no connection with Minnesota other than the fact that they played there for a quarter century.

It's not even like Jets/Coyotes where there was a complete rebrand when the team moved, and it would make no sense for Phoenix to get new Winnipeg-esque uniforms. The team kept the same name, logo, and colour scheme when they moved. It makes perfect sense to go back to the franchise's roots.

That and the North Stars stuff is apparently popular with Dallas Stars fans, so why not give them a uniform reminiscent of that era?

It's also popular with Wild fans.

Touché.

Shameless plug alert, but a while back I threw together a Wild third concept that was reminiscent of the North Stars, using the Wild colours as A that's the identity they've crafted for themselves, and B so as not to infringe on the Stars franchise. I wonder how well that would go down with Wild fans.

The North Stars and Dallas Stars identity are one and the same, no different from the Atlanta Flames coming to Calgary. Black being used more prominently, Metallic Gold replacing Athletic & the Darkening of the green to where it almost looked Black would have happened regardless of the move. These were the trends of the 90's.

And right about now, if not earlier, they'd have gone right back to one of the classic North Stars looks, much like the franchise is possibly doing in two weeks time.

mTBXgML.png

PotD: 24/08/2017

Mario Lemieux has no connection to the Penguins "other" than the fact that he played there. Pierre McGuire has no connection to TSN "other" than the fact that he worked there. Obama has no connection with Harvard "other" than the fact that he went there.

You see where I'm going? You're making a pretty big exception by saying "other than franchise history". Yes, they have no connection with Minnesota other than the fact that they played there for a quarter century.

It's not even like Jets/Coyotes where there was a complete rebrand when the team moved, and it would make no sense for Phoenix to get new Winnipeg-esque uniforms. The team kept the same name, logo, and colour scheme when they moved. It makes perfect sense to go back to the franchise's roots.

Swing and a miss. I was talking about specific uniforms

Midway.png

Fair enough.

However, at the end of the day, all that changed was the darkening of the colours. The organizations' looks in both the cities are vastly the same right before and right after the move. There was hardly the aesthetic disconnect you see with other moves like Winnipeg/Phoenix, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Québec/Colorado. If they completely changed their look, I'd agree with you, but the uniforms were mostly the same. Yes, the kelly green and athletic gold may be associated with their time in Minny, but the identity is associated with both, and it makes perfect sense for them to borrow from their time in Minnesota given the visual brand connection and similarities.

I do see where you're coming from though, and I will admit to misreading your first post.

Totally agree. Let it go, the North Stars no longer exist. It doesn't even make sense to try and ressurect that identity as they're in the south now.

Dallas is in the Northern hemisphere where the North Star can be seen and used as a reference point, just as it can in Minnesota. Do you think it not visible south of 43°30' N?

Fair enough.

However, at the end of the day, all that changed was the darkening of the colours. The organizations' looks in both the cities are vastly the same right before and right after the move. There was hardly the aesthetic disconnect you see with other moves like Winnipeg/Phoenix, Atlanta/Winnipeg, Québec/Colorado. If they completely changed their look, I'd agree with you, but the uniforms were mostly the same. Yes, the kelly green and athletic gold may be associated with their time in Minny, but the identity is associated with both, and it makes perfect sense for them to borrow from their time in Minnesota given the visual brand connection and similarities.

I do see where you're coming from though, and I will admit to misreading your first post.

No problemo. FWIW I don't mind if they do go the North Stars era route. I just hope they don't completely ignore their success in Dallas

Midway.png

Archived