The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

What a heartbreaking and brutal way for Columbus to end their playoff push!

I just hope that this experience will fill the players with some fighting spirit next year, that management will do what they need to put a quality team on the ice, and that their fans keep supporting their team and grow in numbers. The teams who are in are lucky they won't have to face Sergei Bobrovski at the other end.

Anyway, now it's time for some Habs playoff hockey.

The only guarantee in the West right now is that the Kings will beat the Blues.

I think this series is anything but a guarantee for the Kings. LA should have home-ice, but doesn't, and these teams are closer than any matchup in the West in the first round.

However, the margin between LA & STL < CBJ & SJ (CBJ and LA are better)...IMO

"Simple Rating System" Rankings (using 'Playoff Records' from the regular season ('W+OTW - L+OTL(-SOL) - SOW+SOL')):

Western Conference

(3 standard deviations above mean)

1. Chicago*

('above average teams')

2. Anaheim*

3. Los Angeles

4. St. Louis

5. Vancouver*

6. Detroit

7. Minnesota

('below average teams')

8. Columbus

9. San Jose

10. Phoenix

11. Dallas

12. Calgary

13. Edmonton

(2 standard deviations below mean)

14. Nashville

15. Colorado

SRS Playoff Matchups (Real-life seed in parentheses):

(9) Columbus @ (1) Chicago*

(8) Minnesota @ (2) Anaheim*

(7) Detroit @ (3) Vancouver*

(4) St. Louis @ (5) Los Angeles

SRS = (win %*)+("avg. win % of opponents")

-win % = ((2*ROW)+SOW+SOL)/GP*2)

-avg win % of opponents: add up the win % (points per game using "Playoff Record in Regular Season") of each opponent a team has played and divide by GP

*A clusterf*** occurs at around the mean in both conferences.

***I'll continue to log each playoff game and I'll post the Eastern Conference pre-playoffs and post-playoffs results for each conference (at the end of Game 1 of the Finals, I could combine both conferences into one for the first time all season...I'm excited)...

I'm just surprised at the not-so-impossible possibility that the Canadiens, who have allowed about 100 goals in their past six games (don't watch so many Lightning games, guys!) might still take the division title. What works in the Bruins favour tonight is their 4-0 record this season against Ottawa. But, damn, if not for squeezing out a point last night, Montreal would've taken the division outright.

spacer.png

Why is everybody on Columbus's peen?

The playoffs are back where they belong, in The State of Hockey.

Enjoy this week. That is as about as long as your team will be in it.

Oh, were gonna get creamed, I'm just happy were in the playoffs.

t5ty54wyetw_zpsubqd9h5t.jpg

St. Paul Pioneers(GHA) Minnesota Skeeters(CL) Minnesota Lake Monsters(UFL)

What a crazy adventure that was. they went 19-5-5 down the stretch. Needed to go 19-4-6. Also could've used some help from some of these teams in the last 5 games. They got almost no assistance. It was a fun ride, and I don't feel like they failed, just ran out of time.

That game last night and the performance of the fans is a small taste of what the market could be. Let us win some playoff games and it'll be one of the loudest buildings in sports.

The victory last night is allowing me to be at peace at the moment. They were a grease fire last year. They were UNWATCHABLE and they had no interest or heart. It was easily the worst season I've ever struggled through as a fan of any of my teams. Those games at the end of last season were tough. The only thing I wanted coming into this year was for them to be watchable and they were so much more than that.

I'm bummed and disappointed they didn't make the playoffs, of course, but I can't complain too much. They completely revamped the worst team in the NHL and made them into a very likable group that fans can be proud of. I guess the biggest bummer is that I won't get to see them until next October. I'm gonna miss watching this team every other night.

Moving forward they'll have three first round picks this year (albeit all late first round), Ryan Murray and Boone Jenner with the NHL team, they have a franchise goaltender (who should win the Vezina), a team with excellent lockerroom chemistry, solid defensive core, and a decent group of forwards. I like our chances in the eastern conference.

Fun fact: This 48 game season is the first time the Blue Jackets have ever finished a season with a positive goal differential.

now I'll be pulling against the Penguins, Red Wings, Wild, and Kings. I'm cool with anybody else. I'd like to see the New York Jacket Rangers have some success too, particularly Rick Nash.

PvO6ZWJ.png

Archived