The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

So setting aside the terribly important issues of what to call Montreal, and the cheese and pudding thing for a minute...

Now that the realignment is official, I'm faced with a bit of a dlimemma. I've been a Rangers fan since 1992 but I'm also a Blue Jackets fan because...well...as hard as I tried, I couldn't resist rooting for them. They've really grown on me this this season (to the point that we dropped 2 bills on a jersey and sweatshirt at Nationwide Tuesday night and we're looking at partial season ticket packages for next year.) With the Rangers being in the east and the Jackets in the west, having two "favorite" NHL teams hasn't been an issue. It will be an issue next season.

So I've decided that the remainder of this season will be my "Farewell to the Rangers" step down program. I will be transitioning from the comfort of being a fan of an original six team with money and lots of fans to a full-time fan of a team that is known as "the beej." :hockeysmiley:

The Jackets are hanging with the Blackhawks tonight.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Can't you just support the rangers but blatantly jeer them when they face the jackets? I do it with the habs and it works.

Keeps me hating Buffalo Toronto and Boston

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

Actually, the Jets didn't have serious travel problems last year. They still had fewer air miles than a lot of Western teams.

Yeah, the NHL did Winnipeg plenty of favors when it came to grouping together road games last season. At Halloween-time last season, my friend and I went to see the former Thrashers play a Saturday night game in Tampa and a Monday night game in north Miami. A week or two ago, Winnipeg spent like 5 days in Florida, playing three straight road games at Florida, at Tampa, then straight back to Miami.

I pointed it out before, but in the Thrashers' final season, the team made six separate trips to New York City metro to play the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. Winnipeg got those trips trimmed to just two extended trips and play all three of them in one fell swoop.

Can't you just support the rangers but blatantly jeer them when they face the jackets? I do it with the habs and it works.

Keeps me hating Buffalo Toronto and Boston

That might work. I'll give it some thought. Thanks.

Also, the Jackets point streak reaches nine games. Getting a point against the Blackhawks is a good night.

BB52Big.jpg

All roads lead to Dollar General.

I'm kinda like that with the Lightning and Rangers. Make no doubt about it, the Lightning will always come first and foremost, but I've become quite partial over the years to the Rangers and Giants, as a direct result of being a Yankee fan and interacting with many of them. I don't go so far as to claim to be a fan of either team, but I do kinda surmise that it's never really a bad thing if either team wins.

It doesn't hurt that Torts and Brad Richards are with the Rangers these days.

spacer.png

I pointed it out before, but in the Thrashers' final season, the team made six separate trips to New York City metro to play the Rangers, Islanders, and Devils. Winnipeg got those trips trimmed to just two extended trips and play all three of them in one fell swoop.

I don't think they "got" those trips trimmed as some sort of sloppy wet kiss from the league--the league that threatened to move the team at its introductory press conference--so much as it just made more sense for all parties involved to do it that way. The Eastern Conference doesn't require long road trips outside of arena conflicts or being in Winnipeg the way the Western Conference does.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

So setting aside the terribly important issues of what to call Montreal, and the cheese and pudding thing for a minute...

Now that the realignment is official, I'm faced with a bit of a dlimemma. I've been a Rangers fan since 1992 but I'm also a Blue Jackets fan because...well...as hard as I tried, I couldn't resist rooting for them. They've really grown on me this this season (to the point that we dropped 2 bills on a jersey and sweatshirt at Nationwide Tuesday night and we're looking at partial season ticket packages for next year.) With the Rangers being in the east and the Jackets in the west, having two "favorite" NHL teams hasn't been an issue. It will be an issue next season.

So I've decided that the remainder of this season will be my "Farewell to the Rangers" step down program. I will be transitioning from the comfort of being a fan of an original six team with money and lots of fans to a full-time fan of a team that is known as "the beej." :hockeysmiley:

The Jackets are hanging with the Blackhawks tonight.

Welcome aboard. Glad you enjoyed the game on Tuesday.

As for the Rangers thing, I say see how it plays out and let your heart decide. :hockeysmiley:

-------------------------------

Sergei Bobrovsky was incredible tonight and the last however many games. He's stopped 200 of the last 208 shots and I think he would've easily pokechecked away Patrick Kane's attempt had Kane not inadvertently thrown off his timing with that accidental bobble.

The Blue Jackets went 0-2-2 by a combined 3 goals against the "franchise that brought back hockey". I guess that's pretty good.

edit: and here's something sad - tonight set the franchise record for points streak at 9 games. The old record was in 2001, the team's inaugural season when they went 4-0-2-2 during an 8 game stretch.

PvO6ZWJ.png

I just realized today that "Lumbus and The Beej" would have been my favorite 1970s buddy cop show.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

When you dress like the modern day Maple Leafs, you play like the modern day Maple Leafs.

The Tampa Bay Lightning. At least we're not the Panthers!

Hey now. The Leafs may be on a skid, but at least they're in the playoff picture. Tampa's sucked hard since switching to their Leafs-esque uniforms.

When you dress like the modern day Maple Leafs, you play like the modern day Maple Leafs.

But you do have to live with the fact that you are, in fact, the Lightning. I will enjoy playing Florida teams more next year.

DON'T TALK TO ME ABOUT HOCKEY

But you do have to live with the fact that you are, in fact, the Lightning. I will enjoy playing Florida teams more next year.

Considering Ottawa always beats the Lightning...

yeah.

spacer.png

We watch about 75% of the Canucks games each year, and it seems like the Canucks always score 3 goals in the first period of home games.......

They have a promotion where if the Canucks score three goals in the first period, anyone with a ticket to that night's game can show up to work the next day, slip on an imaginary banana peel, and successfully sue the company they work for. That money goes right back into the Canucks and their own fake injuries, so they really don't want to let anyone down.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived