The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

Sat in front of two of the most obnoxious, ignorant, drunken people I've ever sat in front of at a hockey game last night. Complete with thick Pittsburgh accents and cries of "TRADE MALKIN". I should have turned around and asked him to read me the last names on the scoring title and MVP banners. By the end of the game they were hardly coherent and extremely vulgar. If this is what other cities see, then I know why people hate us.

Also, the Rangers are really becoming a Tortarella team, and I don't mean that in a kind way. Wasn't sure if I was watching the Rangers or Flyers out there half the time.

I understand the frustration with Malkin, though. He has to be the most bi-polar player in the league. When he's on, he's unstoppable (last season), but when he's hurt, he's essentially useless (this year).

Pittsburgh Arsenal - Elite Football League (NFL) - est. 2006 

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Sat in front of two of the most obnoxious, ignorant, drunken people I've ever sat in front of at a hockey game last night. Complete with thick Pittsburgh accents and cries of "TRADE MALKIN". I should have turned around and asked him to read me the last names on the scoring title and MVP banners. By the end of the game they were hardly coherent and extremely vulgar. If this is what other cities see, then I know why people hate us.

Also, the Rangers are really becoming a Tortarella team, and I don't mean that in a kind way. Wasn't sure if I was watching the Rangers or Flyers out there half the time.

I understand the frustration with Malkin, though. He has to be the most bi-polar player in the league. When he's on, he's unstoppable (last season), but when he's hurt, he's essentially useless (this year).

To be fair this happens in every city.

Toronto has tonnes of these people at Blue Jays games. They just show up when the Yankees or Red Sox are in town. They know nothing about the game or current players and they spout off nonsense.

I'm sure it's the same in every city.

1zqy8ok.gif

"Hi, everybody!" "Hi, Doctor Randy!"

“Everyone sweats a lot more,” he told Sportsnet's Michael Grange later. “The brain swells. The brain is closer to the skull. Think about it. Does it make sense? Common sense? Heat expands and cold contracts. The brain is like a muscle, it’s pumping, it swells, it’s a lot closer to the outside of the skull.”

Between this and cutting the ice time of some truly electric young skill players to make sure McLaren and Orr get their punchy, derpy minutes, I think we can determine that Randy Carlyle is not fully evolved as a human being. I hope the Leafs miss the playoffs as long as he stays behind that bench. He's a detriment to the sport.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Today's the last matchup of the year between the Kings and Oilers. And the last chance to get revenge for this:

YAK.gif

I'm still haunted by this. Instead of two precious points, boom, we get "nailed" to be forced overtime, then lose the son of a b#### game in the OT. Knowing how close the Kings are in the West, this epic ice slide still haunts their playoff chances.

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

Today's the last matchup of the year between the Kings and Oilers. And the last chance to get revenge for this:

YAK.gif

I'm still haunted by this. Instead of two precious points, boom, we get "nailed" to be forced overtime, then lose the son of a b#### game in the OT. Knowing how close the Kings are in the West, this epic ice slide still haunts their playoff chances.

Okay the only person that is haunted by that is you. As a life-long Kings fan and a life-long hockey fan (28 years), I didn't find this haunting, or have a problem with it. Actually, I loved it. A player showing emotion. Yeah, it sucked he tied the game against the Kings, but oh well. If you are haunted by this, you need to grow up and realize it's what is good about hockey, someone who gets excited about the game and scoring an important goal. Heck, it was his first NHL goal. Again if you're haunted by this, get over it!

The Jets won a game! They actually won a game! Tenuous NASCAR Division lead is back! (unless the Caps won too)

This could be just putting water into a fire (winning a game in a losing streak)...then realizing the fire was a grease fire.

The Jets won a game! They actually won a game! Tenuous NASCAR Division lead is back! (unless the Caps won too)

They get the Florida Furlickers tonight; they should win that one.

san-francisco-giants-cap.jpgsanfranciscob.gifArizonaWildcats4.gifcalirvine.jpg
BEAR DOWN ARIZONA!

2013/14 Tanks Picks Champion

I watched last night's Blue Jackets loss to the Blues.

As much as I want to support them, it's clear that they don't have a team. Brob...I mean Bobrovski might be a brick wall, but his lack of protection from the pouncing will likely make this brick wall collapse, unless he's made of some kind of irresistable element, lol. Anyway, during the final minute, if you exclude Gaborik, the team barely fought to score the tie-er. I don't what it is, but the lack of energy (or whatever it is) makes you scratch your head alot. It seems like every line is either a 4th line...or minor league line. At the last play of the game, that defenceman couldn't even handle a light pass in his direction, and the puck floated past the blue line until the buzzer.

When I think about all this, there's only one question that constantly goes through my mind: Whoever their GM is, does he even care about hockey? They finished last so often, and this is the best team they could assemble? I feel bad for the fans.

The GM, Scott Howson, got fired midseason and was replaced with Jarmo Kekalainen, who is fairly well-regarded by all accounts. They made some non-toxic deadline moves, and have three first-round picks next season. Welcome to the league's other 23 teams.

They just brought in a competent general manager and the one thing no one can take away from the Jackets is that they don't give up like they used to. You're mistaking a paucity of talent for a paucity of effort. Or I don't know, maybe they finally got exhausted.

Oh there was a Hawks game and I was out all day running errands thinking "hey I'll get dinner to eat during the Hawks game." I missed it. When has Nashville ever had a day game on a Saturday? Oh well. It was 1-0 and the only goal was from Bickell. Maybe I didn't miss a Hawks game.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Archived