The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

I think the hypthetical Admiral book would be very interesting. I bought Instigator and plan to start reading it soon, but it only covers Bettman's reign. I'd like to hear of the bumblings from earlier decades.

Oh, read it as soon as you can. You can blow through it in a couple hours.

The book touches on some of the Ziegler era, as well as the weird Gil Stein interregnum where it was basically Bruce McNall running the league. There are lots of colorful stories that didn't make it in, though. One favorite, as we talk more and more about how Seattle is a slam dunk for the league as long as it's not an expansion team, is how Barry Ackerley was allowed to make a bid on behalf of Seattle, and then when it was his turn to give a presentation, turned around and left, his only objective being to make sure no one could compete with the Supersonics. Another story I like, one with a happy ending but a sad later ending, is how Montreal fought tooth and nail to keep the WHA's Canadian teams from joining the league, which would've worked but for a nationwide beercott of Molson, who owned the Habs at the time. Of course, the league's old guard never wanted the treasonous small-town WHA teams in their club, and so it's little wonder that no one fought for them as they got picked off one by one by one (and almost a fourth one). This league is a joke.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

People expect the Winter Classic to be cold and snowy. And the NHL got really lucky with the first Winter Classic actually having snow flurries, or else it'd be "just another game".

Never heard the NHL say anything about an outdoor game in Los Angeles being called a "Winter Classic" or a "Heritage Classic". Just an outdoor game played on a fake hockey holiday made up 2 years ago. It's not like an outdoor game in California is going to screw over the novelty of having outdoor games in general. Just a good chance to include teams in non-traditional markets that are relevant enough to get casual sports fans a good reason to watch hockey. Not to mention the chance to sell 45,000 tickets for a game instead of 17,000.

I'd sure as hell rather see them try new places than constantly dump the game in Pennsylvania.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

I'd sure as hell rather see them try new places than constantly dump the game in Pennsylvania.

They have two popular teams and they've played the game there twice. What's the problem?

Having a Penguins-Flyers game at Penn State's stadium would have been cool before Penn State became Sports Chernobyl.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

I'd just like to see different franchises participate.

I'd like to see different franchises participate, too, but the problem with that is Wings-Blues drew a 0.7 national rating yesterday.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

I'd just like to see different franchises participate.

I'd like to see different franchises participate, too, but the problem with that is Wings-Blues drew a 0.7 national rating yesterday.

The Cardinals were playing.

(Not sure if that's the truth, but a reasonable excuse anyway.)

On 8/1/2010 at 4:01 PM, winters in buffalo said:
You manage to balance agitation with just enough salient points to keep things interesting. Kind of a low-rent DG_Now.
On 1/2/2011 at 9:07 PM, Sodboy13 said:
Today, we are all otaku.

"The city of Peoria was once the site of the largest distillery in the world and later became the site for mass production of penicillin. So it is safe to assume that present-day Peorians are descended from syphilitic boozehounds."-Stephen Colbert

POTD: February 15, 2010, June 20, 2010

The Glorious Bloom State Penguins (NCFAF) 2014: 2-9, 2015: 7-5 (L Pineapple Bowl), 2016: 1-0 (NCFAB) 2014-15: 10-8, 2015-16: 14-5 (SMC Champs, L 1st Round February Frenzy)

Dear Ducks television station: let's try not to show the Lady Smoking Through Her Neck Hole commercial again. Ever.

"You are nothing more than a small cancer on this message board. You are not entertaining, you are a complete joke."

twitter

Dear Ducks television station: let's try not to show the Lady Smoking Through Her Neck Hole commercial again. Ever.

I get the point of our state's health board. But they do ridiculous to freakish commercials to drive that point of Californians to not smoke.

Two commercials stand out. One is where a woman smokes, and the smoke magically jumps 6 or 7 floors up a vent system in an apartment to haunt a baby. Another is a nightmarish labyrinth where people are trapped inside gigantic cigarettes ala "Invasion of the Bodysnatchers" being burned to their death until one person "breaks out of the cigarette."

Seeing these kinds of commercials makes me cringe a little.

Smoking IS disgusting and I loathe it personally, but if I'm watching a hockey game I really don't want to see some lady stick a cigarette into her neckhole and puff away. Seeing the smokehole is one thing, but taking a drag out of it was just a tad bit much for ol' Andy.

twitter

Archived