The 2013 NHL Season Thread

charger77

• Replies 4.7k
  • Created
  • Last Reply

In Vancouver the fans expected a cup these last few seasons. In Toronto all he would need to do is get them to the playoffs to meet expectations and be considered successful.

How many Leafs games have you watched? Leafs fans and the Toronto media are extremely hard on Leafs goaltenders, and I'm positive Luongo doesn't have the mental toughness to survive that.

As for expectations in Toronto vs Vancouver? Leafs Nation expects nothing short of a team saviour out of their goaltenders. Tank's right. The moment he lets in a soft goal Leafs fans and the Toronto media will eat him alive and his fragile psyche will crack.

Look, I'm not trying to turn this into a Toronto/Vancouver pissing match (Lord knows we have enough of that), I'm just being truthful. You play in Toronto (especially in goal), you have to deal with very high expectations and A LOT of pressure. You have to deal with media and fans who will turn on you after one sub-par performance. To do well in that situation you have to be tough mentally. Luongo's a very talented goalie, but he just doesn't have that mental toughness. I think he knows that too, which is why he's stated he would prefer to play for the Panthers. No one down there gives a crap.

As for the "you just need to get into the playoffs" expectation in Toronto? It's a mirage. If you fail the results of not making it to the playoffs vs not winning the Cup are the same; ridicule. If he gets them to the playoffs the media and fanbase will be sedated for a season before it turns into "we're a playoff team now, winning the Cup should be no problem."

I may not live in Toronto or Canada but just watching Coach's Corner reading this board and seeing how frrusrtated Leafs fans get. It appears being a Leafs Goalie is a lot like being Quarterback of the Cowboys, or a Yankee clean up hitter. It does not matter how you play in most games, it only matters how you played in big games and the last game because any screw up and you are ging to get torn apart. Some can handle it some can't and looking at Luongo's past he will be a disaster in Toronto.

Just imagine this last game of the season soft goal allowed and the Leafs miss the playoffs Luongo will be ripped for the entire off-season.

ecyclopedia.gif

www.sportsecyclopedia.com

For the best in sports history go to the Sports E-Cyclopedia at

http://www.sportsecyclopedia.com

champssigtank.png

How much of that is from his games against the Hawks, though? mwahahaha

Chicago was +6 in that series. Vancouver won three of the four games that were decided by one goal. Chicago blew them out in the fifth and sixth games.

But I'm sure you already knew that.

(Boston was a friggen +15 against the Canucks. Outscored them 17-3 in games played in Boston. Unreal dominance.)

spacer.png

Did you know that they had maybe 2 healthy d men in the finals and the games they did win were because Luongo was stellar?

I'm not saying he's Patrick Roy but he's a top goalie and a huge upgrade to what Toronto has. Toronto would be lucky to have him.

The Beej are officially your longest shot to win the Cup at 100:1. Next-worst are the Isles at 66:1. I feel bad that Columbus can't have nice things.

I understand that in Winnipeg, they're calling the Jets at 50:1 a "value bet", and are dropping as much money on that action as possible when they aren't busy voluntarily paying double for their tickets to make up for lost revenues.

Betting the House gets you 40:1. Greg Jamison is currently trying to scrounge up $4.25 million to get in on that. Says he should have the money by the end of the week, honest.

On 1/25/2013 at 1:53 PM, 'Atom said:

For all the bird de lis haters I think the bird de lis isnt supposed to be a pelican and a fleur de lis I think its just a fleur de lis with a pelicans head. Thats what it looks like to me. Also the flair around the tip of the beak is just flair that fleur de lis have sometimes source I am from NOLA.

PotD: 10/19/07, 08/25/08, 07/22/10, 08/13/10, 04/15/11, 05/19/11, 01/02/12, and 01/05/12.

How many Leafs games have you watched? Leafs fans and the Toronto media are extremely hard on Leafs goaltenders, and I'm positive Luongo doesn't have the mental toughness to survive that.

As for expectations in Toronto vs Vancouver? Leafs Nation expects nothing short of a team saviour out of their goaltenders. Tank's right. The moment he lets in a soft goal Leafs fans and the Toronto media will eat him alive and his fragile psyche will crack.

Look, I'm not trying to turn this into a Toronto/Vancouver pissing match (Lord knows we have enough of that), I'm just being truthful. You play in Toronto (especially in goal), you have to deal with very high expectations and A LOT of pressure. You have to deal with media and fans who will turn on you after one sub-par performance. To do well in that situation you have to be tough mentally. Luongo's a very talented goalie, but he just doesn't have that mental toughness. I think he knows that too, which is why he's stated he would prefer to play for the Panthers. No one down there gives a crap.

As for the "you just need to get into the playoffs" expectation in Toronto? It's a mirage. If you fail the results of not making it to the playoffs vs not winning the Cup are the same; ridicule. If he gets them to the playoffs the media and fanbase will be sedated for a season before it turns into "we're a playoff team now, winning the Cup should be no problem."

You act likes he's never had a bad game or let in a soft goal in Vancouver. He's had plenty of both and been booed. For as successful as Vancouver has been during his time here he is constantly ripped by the fans and media. I don't know what you think it's like in Vancouver but it's no cakewalk. The fans want nothing less than a cup, just like in Toronto. The only difference is Vancouver fans are realistic with this expectation. He would prefer to go to Flordia because that's where his wife is from and where he spends his offseasons. It's not because he's scared of Toronto. He might not of been lights out in the Olympics but with the whole country watching he got the job done.

If Toronto wants to even make the playoffs they likely need to make an upgrade in goal. If not Luongo then who? I don't think a young backup goalie like Bernier would be any better suited for Toronto.

I honestly think all the teams except for Columbus can make the playoffs this year.(Yes even the Islanders).

Me too. This isn't a good thing, by the way.

♫ oh yeah, board goes on, long after the thrill of postin' is gone ♫

Did you know that they had maybe 2 healthy d men in the finals and the games they did win were because Luongo was stellar?

I'm not saying he's Patrick Roy but he's a top goalie and a huge upgrade to what Toronto has. Toronto would be lucky to have him.

Not like Luongo was playing a healthy, top-tier offense in that series though....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Not like Luongo was playing a healthy, top-tier offense in that series though....

Sorry did I slight the Bruins??

I'm subscribed to the Kings' Facebook page, and all their said was that they were "remodeling their banners." Something big is happening...

I hope they don't change all their other banners to match the current identity. I can't stand when teams do that.

Luongo took Vancouved to the finals and won a gold for team Canada. He can handle the pressure. If it wasn't for Cory Schnieders emergence then Luongo wouldn't be going anywhere. Besides, the expectations in Toronto will be much lower which will mean less pressure than In Vancouver.

You know, I always hear people mention winning Gold in 2010 as an argument for how Luongo can handle pressure, but let's not forget that he gave up the game-tying goal with 20-something seconds left. If not for Crosby's heroics, he'd never hear the end of that.

SigggggII_zps101350a9.png

Nobody cares about your humungous-big signature. 

PotD: 29/1/12

I'm subscribed to the Kings' Facebook page, and all their said was that they were "remodeling their banners." Something big is happening...

I hope they don't change all their other banners to match the current identity. I can't stand when teams do that.

One of the rumors I heard was moving all of the Staples Center banners to the ceiling, including the Lakers, Sparks and defunct-Avengers, but the Kings' Cup banner was to be the first to be unveiled. But after watching some pics off the Facebook page, I'm kinda bummed out (although the other King banners appear to be safe from redesign for your sake).

Anyway, all's cool in Kingland. Our team core is in their prime and locked up for this season. And Jarret Stolll got into Erin Andrews on New Year's, so bonus for him before the season. But damn, Kopitar out three weeks with a knee injury.

Sorry did I slight the Bruins??

Meh. Do it all you want, I guess. Only ammunition 'Nucks fans have against the Bruins, I suppose....

On 4/10/2017 at 3:05 PM, Rollins Man said:

what the hell is ccslc?

Archived